ITTOG's Truck Camper Build (was 6' x 12' Trailer Conversion)

ITTOG

@IdaSHO you mentioned the other day you used a silicon spray to protect your aluminum from the stainless bolts for your flatbed. I can't find that post now Do you recall what it was. All I can find is lubricants and assume that is not what you used. I may duplicate you're solution because it looks like I will be using an aluminum skin on my steel frame for my truck camper.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

ITTOG

Nevermind I just found it and you use a silicone lubricant.

ITTOG

@ITTOG how are you healing?

You do understand that the SAG Awards aren't for Small Angle Grinder, but, rather, Screen Actors Guild? :cool:

I am doing well. I got the stitches out this past Friday. Now I just need the scab to quit oozing liquid and heal a bit more. Then it will be over and I can get back to summer activities. It was about 92 over the weekend and it sucked not being able to get into the pool or the lake.
IMG_20200608_074948.jpg

I spent 5 hours yesterday doing some rework. I had some metal that bent due to the heat of welding and got it replaced. It is getting close. No pictures and you wouldn't be able to tell what changed anyway. Hopefully some new pictures with new work, not rework, in a couple weeks.

ITTOG

I have mentioned a couple times how bad the metal has bent when welding it. So yesterday I replaced the bottom rails of the frame (the rail that attaches to the truck) with new ones that are not bent. In this photo, the new rail is in blue. Another one just like it is on the other side as well. The two in red are the rails I cut out. You can see how the two bars are bent with the gaps at the end. The gap on the right is about 3/8" while the one on the left is about 7/8". I am so glad that I took the time to remove them and replace with some that are not bent.

IMG_20200608_111540~2.jpg

1000arms

I am doing well. I got the stitches out this past Friday. Now I just need the scab to quit oozing liquid and heal a bit more. Then it will be over and I can get back to summer activities. It was about 92 over the weekend and it sucked not being able to get into the pool or the lake. ... ... I spent 5 hours yesterday doing some rework.
Getting there!

Andrew_S

Observer
I have mentioned a couple times how bad the metal has bent when welding it. So yesterday I replaced the bottom rails of the frame (the rail that attaches to the truck) with new ones that are not bent. In this photo, the new rail is in blue. Another one just like it is on the other side as well. The two in red are the rails I cut out. You can see how the two bars are bent with the gaps at the end. The gap on the right is about 3/8" while the one on the left is about 7/8". I am so glad that I took the time to remove them and replace with some that are not bent.

View attachment 590945

Thats some serious warpage. I've had to do something similar (rework) once or twice now. In the end I spent more time procrastinating doing it then the actual amount of time it took to do it right the second time. What gauge or wall thickness are you using?

ITTOG

Thats some serious warpage. I've had to do something similar (rework) once or twice now. In the end I spent more time procrastinating doing it then the actual amount of time it took to do it right the second time. What gauge or wall thickness are you using?
I didn't really procrastinate but I did spend a lot of time thinking about if I wanted to repair and how I would repair it. In the end I knew I would not be happy by leaving it. So the rework began. I am using 16 guage 1.5" tube. The tube in the picture was 8' long. When welding the two vertical tubes the side with the smaller gap had the tube welded about 18" from the end. The side with the wider gap had the tube welded about 30" from the end. I am a new welder and have only welded 3/16" or thicker material for the most part and it didn't warp like that so it was a big surprise to me.
The worst part about all of this is cutting it off so I can repair it is how I cut my leg. So I blame the steel for that injury, and not my own stupid mistakes. ;)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So I blame the steel for that injury, and not my own stupid mistakes. ;)
Hey steel!! What's 1 + 1? Huh? Oh. you don't know hey?

The steel is stupid!

(And yes, I use that joke every time one of my kids hurts themselves and says stupid door, stupid stair. Oddly, they never think it's funny???)

ITTOG

Hey steel!! What's 1 + 1? Huh? Oh. you don't know hey?

The steel is stupid!

(And yes, I use that joke every time one of my kids hurts themselves and says stupid door, stupid stair. Oddly, they never think it's funny???)
Like your kids I do not find it funny either. But I did mention I was stupid as well. So I guess an indirect hint that I was to blame in addition to the steel.

D

Deleted member 9101

To the OP: I remember earlier you had mentioned thst your truck wasn't as responsive as you thought it should be.

I was doing this to my truck today (I do it every oil change) and it makes an instant difference, especially if you are a driver who is gentle on the throttle. Once the truck learns your driving habits it taylors it's throttle response to match.

Also...clean your MAP sensors regularly, that makes a difference too.

ITTOG

To the OP: I remember earlier you had mentioned thst your truck wasn't as responsive as you thought it should be.

I was doing this to my truck today (I do it every oil change) and it makes an instant difference, especially if you are a driver who is gentle on the throttle. Once the truck learns your driving habits it taylors it's throttle response to match.

That is a good idea. I did it once but given I have a 56 mile commute, one way, it is hard to train the truck to be more aggressive with all those highway miles. I am working from home now and will be for the foreseeable future so now would probably be a good time to do it again and see if it changes any.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Hmm... Interesting. I noticed sluggish throttle while I was towing this past weekend. I just attributed it to the fact I was lugging 5,000 lbs behind me.

But, I wonder if it could have been the change in 'driving style'?

Like ITTOG, I have a daily commute of 60 highway / freeway miles and usually put my cruise on to and from work at 65 mph.

D

Deleted member 9101

That is a good idea. I did it once but given I have a 56 mile commute, one way, it is hard to train the truck to be more aggressive with all those highway miles. I am working from home now and will be for the foreseeable future so now would probably be a good time to do it again and see if it changes any.

It makes an instant difference in my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior