I've asked this in the past but with new members and all, do any of you drive stock rigs?

CSG

Explorer
So you've run a stock Land Cruiser in the back country before and found it lacking? If you were talking about a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expo you might have a point. With the Land Cruiser, I don't think you do.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
OP- I don know what you're referring to. Some folks love the build and the equipping, but going out and using it doesn't do the same for them. Overlanding is in vogue now so many want the rig so that they feel adventurous. There are a ton of huge Chevy/Dodge Ford diesel trucks in my area that have huge tires and lifts, but the trails around here don't suit well for such big trucks. They just like the look.

If youre question above is to me- no, I bought my 80 series built and locked because I knew I needed more than an open diff stock 80. I've had it places that a stock 80 would have struggled, and having the mods made it so easy that my brother in law set out to buy his own immediately after one such trip.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
So you've run a stock Land Cruiser in the back country before and found it lacking? If you were talking about a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expo you might have a point. With the Land Cruiser, I don't think you do.
I did just get a land cruiser, it's stock.

RND1

Observer
I did all the trails in the San Juans last summer with 100s in the hills in my rig which is essentially stock. Only thing I did was put BFG K02's on it and remove the running boards. Ran like a top and didn't have any issues. I was with a dozen other 100's with the majority having lifts, front and rear bumpers, winches, etc. but to the OP's point, most of that was unnecessary on the trails we took (including Black Bear). The stock LC with good AT tires is a very capable vehicle. The only item I would like to add are slee sliders so I can have a step back.

mnwanders

I swear, it seems almost no one on this site uses a stock rig for their adventures. Seeing as though very, very few here do actual overlanding as opposed to a little trail running and camping in organized campgrounds, I've never understood all the "build" projects other than for forum or street cred.

Most builds add lots of weight and make their Cruisers top heavy it seems from what I read.

My rig is completely stock save for having removed the running boards and 265/75/16 KO2's.

I don't mean to put anyone on the defensive but can some of you who are doing these builds tell me what mods you're doing and how you'll actually implement them in your travels? I'm a minimalist so a lot of this is just something I don't understand. Again, I'm asking because I don't understand the reasons. You can see from my history that I'm not trolling.

I'm really glad I read this post today because you reminded me of how I can go down a rabbit-hole on things that I "think" I need, when I really don't. While I can only speak for myself, I'm sure there are more than a few of us that would have driven our vehicles through just about anything until we found this portal and learned a "better" way of doing things. Admittedly, I have not take my vehicle a lot of places that many of you have, but before I found this portal, I probably would have done it anyway and learned the hard way, and as we all know those kinds of lessons are the ones that stick. But now, I get all concerned about lockers, lifts, sliders, etc. I'm not disparaging those people that have those things, but a lot of us need to be more honest with ourselves about what we are actually going to do with our vehicles.

Thanks. This was a good reminder. Though I will admit, I still want to dump my Sequoia for an LC 100!

tacollie

Glamper
Good tires will get you a lot of places. I have a lift because the stock suspension was shot and I wanted heavier duty springs and there weren't any good stock height options. I went to LT tires because I got tieyd of patching p rated tires. I also don't do hard 4 wheeling anymore. You can go a lot of places in a stock truck but there are a lot of places you can't.

I really liked our 100 but they are low in stock form. My step dad got sliders, a lift, and 285 after dragging a rocker panel. I got it from him that way and still drug the sliders and LCA a lot.

When I built my 02 Tacoma it made running a lot of trails way easier. My buddy had stock 92 Toyota truck. I could get to a lot of our camp sites over an hour faster and with less issues. People also started calling when they were stuck or stranded because they knew I could get to them.

Cruisn

Adventurer
You guys talk about a fridge like it makes you a movie star. my first purchase about 7 years ago was an awning and a 80L waeco fridge. non negotiable. had that gear before a tyre and lift.

I'll run you through my phases,
Phase 1: went to oz at 22 and bought a stock 1990 pajero, petrol auto. drive that girl straight through the center, plenty highway, great central, numerous offroad excursions. it went everywhere. and did it well. but it wasnt enough...

Phase 2: was about 24 now, or 2012. had the roof top tent, dual spare carriers, dual fuel tanks, covertered car to diesel and a manual. had all the stuff bolted to it. Man, was it heavy. but she still went the same places it went stock. a bit further in the rough but to be honest, being by yourself in the outback your not gonna push that hard overall. so heavy... like 300kg over gvm loaded for a trip. im curious how some of these mall crawlers weigh in to be honest.

Phase 3: The big cut - cut her in half. turned into a single cab ute mucked off all the roof racks and add ons. redesigned for light light light. this project is still an ongoing one so I bought a newer pajero. cue phase 4

Phase 4: the 07 shorty. stock tyres are 265/60 I went to a 265/65 in an all terrain instead of highway terrain even though my parents drive it everywhere(when they visit) my old girl got with bald highway terrains and zero sand driving background..... it got a 50mm lift and some bash plates as I do a heap of exploration in the outback, and rocks hide in tall grass... its there natural habitat... i put in a secon fuel tank and installed dual batteries so the fridge and awning go with me. I did a massive trip with the basics basically, actually before my big trip I had a 100L fuel tank tucked behind the driver seat so I could make the gaps between fuel ups... my girl took me everywhere and got me home in 1 piece with minimal mods..

out on the north side of Karijini national park:http://s85.photobucket.com/user/cruisn/media/Karijini%202017/day75_zpsqlpqvhhk.jpg.html] [/URL]

Bogged somewhere in the pilbara:http://s85.photobucket.com/user/cruisn/media/Karijini%202017/stuck_zpsco4ukpy1.jpg.html] [/URL]

Refueling:http://s85.photobucket.com/user/cruisn/media/Karijini%202017/day29_zpsui9qybxa.jpg.html] [/URL]

overall: if your new, give the stock rig a go, a good go. see where it takes you see if you have the passion, then modify to suit. if you go crazy like I did in phase 2, good on ya, I dont care. jsut send me some good photos of a sick as place you ended up. i run bare minimum to extend my range and taht is based of years of testing and trialing,

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I drove through 27 countries and most of Africa with a fairly stock TroopCarrier. The only mechanical modification was the suspension and tyres/wheels.

Right now we have a 4Runner in Uruguay that came all the way down from Alaska. Almost 300000 miles on it. Mods? Guess it...Only the suspension and tires.

But comfort-wise, I agree that the very first thing is to get the best fridge you can afford. Longer range is also desirable, but that you can also achieve by getting a vehicle that gets better fuel economy than adding a Titan tank on a PowerWagon...

;)

Last edited:

Madcapwoodwright

Late In getting to this party, but....

First, I have been a long time Toyota pickup driver. All 22r, early/mid 80's. All 4wd.

Some we're modded when I got them, some bone stock. Seemed to me, the stockers always felt more ... I don't know...happy(?) As it turned out, any p/u I got that had big, mudder tires immediately got tall and skinny replacements, usually to stock size, or appropriate size for any lift on the truck.

When I finally got to a place in life where I could both justify (read, I wanted one) and afford one, I finally got a TLC.

It is bone stock save for the BFG KO2's she has on her and the shade tree "flare and running boards delete" I did.

I must confess, I will be throwing money at it for mechanical baselining. I want to add an Android/OBD1 monitor so I can obsess over temps and such. Maybe a rear Spartan auto locker.

But I have to say, I really do not see any more capable overlander/offroading platform, than a well sorted, mechanically sound, Land Cruiser in stock-ish form.

My .2c

Last edited:
Reactions: CSG

Wesley Crusher

With the exception of some K02s, my 100 is totally stock. Granted, I am not expert when it comes to off roading, I think the 100 is an extremely capable vehicle. I don't think there is much that this thing cannot handle.

Reactions: CSG

Awkragt

Adventurer
With my first vehicle (2 dr JK) I went mod crazy the first 6 months. 35s, bumpers, winch, 4" lift. Checked all the boxes after that, underpowered, top heavy, constant maintenace due to aftermarket suspension, alignment etc. Also takes the challenge out of offroading. Makes everything but the most difficult trails an easy drive through the forest.

100 Series Landcruiser I did nothing for 2 years. Just used it. Got a fridge & homeade drawers, but I remove it from the vehicle between trips. Eventually added OME shocks and springs to the rear but only after the back end was sagging badly on a trip to Yellowstone/Glacier.

I'm much happier with the minimal build. Keeps my focus on the trip planning.

CSG

Explorer
When I think of "builds", I'm not thinking of practical things like a fridge, a second battery to run a fridge, drawers/sleeping platforms, etc. I'm thinking oversized wheels, tires, lifts, snorkels, racks (which when loaded throw off CoG), heavy bumpers, and all the bolt ons to carry more gear than you know what to do with. While I don't have a winch, they make great sense for off-roaders, especially those traveling alone. Basic recovery gear is not what I'd consider a build.

Again, I understand the hobby side of wanting to build something you can show off at the mall or some expo somewhere but the LC is just so damn capable stock for almost anything you can throw it that it makes sense in my mind to at least run it for awhile before spending hundreds to thousands of dollars and making it less capable (overweight, lousy CoG, etc.).

I should also say that I think of the lower 48 in America with regards to all of this. I have no idea what our friends overseas requirements would be.

4Beast

Observer
When I think of "builds", I'm not thinking of practical things like a fridge, a second battery to run a fridge, drawers/sleeping platforms, etc. I'm thinking oversized wheels, tires, lifts, snorkels, racks (which when loaded throw off CoG), heavy bumpers, and all the bolt ons to carry more gear than you know what to do with. While I don't have a winch, they make great sense for off-roaders, especially those traveling alone. Basic recovery gear is not what I'd consider a build.

Again, I understand the hobby side of wanting to build something you can show off at the mall or some expo somewhere but the LC is just so damn capable stock for almost anything you can throw it that it makes sense in my mind to at least run it for awhile before spending hundreds to thousands of dollars and making it less capable (overweight, lousy CoG, etc.).

I should also say that I think of the lower 48 in America with regards to all of this. I have no idea what our friends overseas requirements would be.

I have to say, perhaps I am reading into it, but there is something sort of challenging or defensive about your tone on this topic, it's just sort of a personal perspective that you judge others for not sharing. For example, why are you OK with a second battery, or winch but not with a roof rack, or tire carrier, or whatever else? Many people get by fine with a single battery and a jump box, a second battery is unnecessary (I have one btw). So is an aftermarket steel bumper, but I am OK with the expense, weight etc, as it prevents major damage occasionally. I definitely do not need it on most of my trips (although I would need somewhere to put a spare that wouldn't fit underneath), but if I had a stock rear bumper on my last wheeling trip, I probably would no longer have a stock bumper, as my aftermarket one took a beating on sharp descent/ascent ravines. I like the ability to self recover, I went out without it in the past, and have tow/kinetic ropes, but I'll accept the extra cost and weight for something that I will seldom use because I have security. I just like to not worry about things, i worry enough about body damage, it's nice to let the bumpers do their work. Same for the winch. Same for the roof rack. I guess i could put an OZtent on a stock rack, rather than a RTT, and sometimes I think about going that direction, but I like the convenience of the RTT a lot of the time.

I guess I'm saying is that if you want to say that the only way to go out is totally stock, because the Toyota engineers are smart dudes and know what you will need, that's fine, but as soon as you say some things are acceptable, for whatever your justification, then you have to accept other people have their own justifications as well. Yeah, some of these trucks are mall crawlers, but honestly I imagine that a lot of the people honestly hoped/thought that they would use them as they were intended more than they actually do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz