Jack to suit 6000kg truck

I recently bought a isuzu nps 300 4wd to build out to travel australia. Unfortunately it didn't come with a jack.
What load rating jack should I buy?
In bottle format would you recommend hydraulic or gear driven?

gait

Explorer
4.5 tonne Canter. I have an old Toyota Coaster scissor jack (geared) for when there's not much space, and an 8 tonne hydraulic bottle jack. I don't believe the rating. I find the constraint is not how much load the jack will take but how long the handle is and how hard I have to press to make it work - flimsy short handles and difficult to locate release screw are a pain. And of course the heavier the jack the harder it is to locate under the truck. I've forgotten how much lift I needed to get from totally flat tyre to totally inflated. Every so often I try to find a two stage hydraulic jack, and a low profile screw jack. Apart from the obvious changing wheels I most recently used them between axle and chassis while making temporary fix to broken spring. Later changing spring bushes/shackles. The low profile scissor jack is particularly useful for many things, sadly has least leverage when fully down. IMHO screw is less likely to fail than hydraulic. I haven't had hydraulic fail catastrophically, just leak and become progressively less useful - replace rather than refill.

I avoid high lift jacks. Scary things.

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
My 2 stage 6T "Toolex" brand hydraulic cost well under AUD$100 20+ years ago and I would love to find a new one, but they now seem to be non existent in the smaller sizes.
ARB are marketing a great looking (note "looking" as I have not used one) hydraulic version of a high lift, but they cost about AUD$1,000!
https://www.arb.com.au/recovery/hi-lift-jacks-accessories/jack/
The other jack I carry is an old style Holden screw jack. It has the advantage of working sideways or upside down as well as being small and light.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Thanks for the replies.
I might start off by purchasing a 2 stage hydraulic bottle jack and then scrounge around for a gear driven bottle jack when the opportunity arises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior