Jacks for expedition vehicles

pdx2ptg

We are traveling through Central America at the moment in a Mitsubishi FUSO & I have a 20t bottle jack, simple & works.

whitenoise

Adventurer
I believe they start at $2k plus. If you're traveling soft sand desert then that really might be the most effective way to lift a heavy truck...

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I found a place in the UK who sell surplus fire brigade stuff. They had the nice big low pressure air bags I think you are suggesting above, and I had gone there to have a look and probably buy one or two.
But, deflated they are huge. From memory about 18"x18"x4' each one plus the hoses and control box which together take up about the same space again. Inflated they end up at about 4'x4'x4', so just one needed under the front maybe but to self right which was my plan I'd need a pair, and I don't have the room.
So I bought two high pressure pads at about 24"x24"x1" empty, I'll have to chock them to get the height but they fit. And still pricey second hand.

whitenoise

Adventurer
Got some pictures @grizzlyj ? 18x18x48 inches sounds huge for a deflated bag. That's like three 12v fridges stacked on top of each other!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Be careful with the Safe Jack it can be a challenge if you need to change a flat as it will not fit under the axle.

A Safe Jack next to a factory Toyota jack with a LCP Jack Adapter next to a flat 315/75-16.

IMG_9529[2].JPG

The Jack Adapter fits the axle much more secure and available for all types of post jacks.

jack adp 80-100 rear.JPG

Explorerinil

Observer
I carry a cheap floor jack I got 22 years ago from sams club and some scrap wood... it’s worked great for over 20 years. Keep it simple!

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Be careful with the Safe Jack it can be a challenge if you need to change a flat as it will not fit under the axle.

You've posted this before and it's just not an issue. If you can't figure out how to dig a small hole for the jack or pull the flat tire forward onto a rock to make room, what are you doing offroad?

That factory jack is junk compared to any 6 ton or larger bottle jack. Also, we are talking about larger than 1-ton trucks here anyway.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
You've posted this before and it's just not an issue. If you can't figure out how to dig a small hole for the jack or pull the flat tire forward onto a rock to make room, what are you doing offroad?

That factory jack is junk compared to any 6 ton or larger bottle jack. Also, we are talking about larger than 1-ton trucks here anyway.

I understand your point but you are not always offroad and its not always you when a jack is needed. If it your wife or you are on tarmac your solution is useless. The adapter was created by my wife because centering a post jack where the factory recommends is not the safest or the easiest for many. Im not the least concerned for my self as I can survive but when my wife/daughter is traveling to Mexico as she frequently does I want to provide her with something she is comfortable with that works and is safe. Factory mechanical jack ( at least with Toyota) is an extremely reliable jack. Hate on the adapter all you want but it makes jacking safer and easier even for someone like you that feels they have it all figured out, it a safety product that works for a fraction of the cost of a Safe Jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles