James Baroud Question: Where's the door?

fire_strom

Adventurer
Hi All,
I am a happy JB Evasion owner but in my application the front is a huge pain in the ass to close. The RTT is on top of a tall van and to get at the front of the tent I have to get all gymnastical on the front seats and front doors. I didn't want a wedge opener like the Discovery but I think now after a bit of experiance it would be better suited to my set up. I can't use the stock ladder due to height of van so I have a sweet set up with a deck towards the rear of the tent. I get into the tent from the deck. The big question though is is there a back door on the Discovery or the Space?
Thanks,
-G
Tele ladder to the deck. Civilized!
IMG_2146.jpeg

Too short. Ladder hooked on rain gutter and contacting windows when climbed.
IMG_1933.jpeg

fire_strom

Adventurer
Thanks what I was hoping for but this is copy and pasted from the JB website Discovery page: https://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/product/james-baroud-discovery-roof-top-tent/

DESCRIPTION
The compact model in the line of rooftop tents, the Discovery rooftop tent offers all the features of the larger models in a versatile and easy to manage size. The Discovery has two entrances and large wrap-around windows that maximize airflow and provide a 270-degree view. For extreme conditions, ventilation can also be assisted by the solar-powered ventilation system. Access to the tent is easily gained by using the folding ladder that comes standard with all James Baroud rooftop tents and attaches to either side of the tent.

I was concerned that the two entrances were on the sides.
-G

I suspect that they advertise it as having only two doors because the assumption is that it will be mounted on the roof of a vehicle and access will generally only be from the sides. Additionally, their product descripions are very similar which makes me believe some marketing guy just did a cut and paste of one description and maybe wasn't very attentive. I have an Evolution mounted on the roof of my Jeep Wrangler and while it clearly has a third "door" on the rear wall, my spare tire makes it impossible to use a ladder to access.

If you look at pictures on their website, you can clearly see the third door on the back (at least you can see the seams hiding the zippers) and pictures that people have posted on the internet show that third door open and rolled up. It should work fine with your rooftop patio.

You can always shoot them an email just to verify but it should be fine.

The official "doors" are located on either side of the tent where the ladder attachment points are found. The rear door (found on all hard shell tent models) is for those who have a rear-mounted ladder on their vehicle and do not need to mount an additional ladder on the side. Please be aware though that the lower shell at the rear door is not reinforced like it is on the sides, so be careful not to pull down on that lip too harshly or sit on it when getting out. In facty as a rule of thumb you do not want to put any weight directly on that lip. I hope that helps!

The ladder that comes with the tent does not extend long enough to reach your tent as you have an exceptionally tall vehicle. Your best bet is to use one of those telescoping-type ladders as in the first picture.

fire_strom

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip on the reinforcement. I wouldn't have thought of that. Yes, the telescoping ladder works great. I usually have it fully extended so it makes access on and off the deck easy. I bolted the front runner ladder brackets to the rail and the ladder sits in them nicely.
-G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles