James Baroud roof cave in

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
So today at work I was standing on the deck of my job site trailer and noticed the roof of my JB XXL evo has caved in. See attached picture.

Has anyone experienced this before? I opened it up and popped the roof from the inside but it continued to cave back in.

Nothing has been placed on the roof so I have no idea why it’s this way. Almost looks like it was vacuum sealed from heat.

It does have a layer of plasti dip on it but there is no way that caused the shell to cave like this......
It's really hard to tell from the pic but it looks to have settled a couple of inches at least. Also, it almost looks like in the lowest part, there's like an imprint that runs side to side. Maybe, like some one (heavy - adult size physically) was on top - jumping around or testing it. Could have happened where you live or anyplace that it was unattended. I've got a black CVT hardshell that I've had for 7+ yrs and near the front of it, I've experienced some sagging, but not to your tent's degree. 1/2" at the most. How long have you had your tent? I would contact JB as @FrenchieXJ has suggested. But, IMHO, it looks damaged - and not by the plasti-dip.

............... The fiberglass formulation will be designed to take the heat. Now, the other question, why would you want a black one? If you put a thermometer in your tent you will understand why I ask. Everything inside the tent gets cooked when it is closed. Your mattress will wear out fast from the heat and if it gets hot enough the epoxy glues that hold the support arms will soften and lose their grip. No es bueno ....
I don't buy in to any of this and like to see it backed up by data or factual documentation by owners and/or manufacturers. Sure, it'll be hotter inside when in the sun. But, ONLY when the sun is shining on it. Otherwise, no difference in temp. Open the tent at camp and it cools off quickly. Most people use their tent at night - no sun, except near the Arctic Circle and I doubt if it would matter at that latitude. As I said above, I have a black hardshell and been using it for the last 7 yrs. The mattress, supports, sleeping bags, fan/light, and all contents are fine and have not been "cooked" as you suggest. And for convenience, they stay up there. However, I would not leave any food up there - especially chocolate;)

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I'm no expert but I know rooftent design and the materials have improved a lot. For example, back in the 90's Maggiolinas came in two styles, the Maggiolina Adventure and the Maggiolina OnLine. The Adventure was and still is one of my favorites, incredibly rugged and had a flat top with a rack and tie downs on top. The roof was reinforced to carry a load. Needless to say, it was very heavy, The large one was something like 175 pounds which exceeded the weight rating of many rack systems. The OnLine, it's little brother, was the goldilocks tent, a little smaller but much lighter, the medium size was 135 pounds. It also had a flat roof but without the roof reinforcement to save weight.

These were expedition tents, made when a Land Cruiser, Rover or Jeep were hard pressed to do 65 mph. Folks would strap stuff on the OnLine's flat roof and a couple times the roof would deform and go concave because of the weight, with justifiably upset owners. The repair was exactly what Frenchie mentioned, hot sunny day, close the roof with something inside to press the roof back to convex and reform the top. That is where the hack came from and might work on the Baraud, at least worth a try.

greg.potter

Adventurer
A couple of years ago I left my JB outside in uncovered storage for the winter and when I went to install it in the spring (there was still at least a foot of snow on the ground), the snow load over the winter had deformed the top. I cleaned it all off, brought it into the garage and once it had warmed up the top popped back in what seemed to be it's original shape. I haven't had any longer term issues related to this - as of yet anyway. The JB get's stored for the winter in covered storage now!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
A couple of years ago I left my JB outside in uncovered storage for the winter and when I went to install it in the spring (there was still at least a foot of snow on the ground), the snow load over the winter had deformed the top. I cleaned it all off, brought it into the garage and once it had warmed up the top popped back in what seemed to be it's original shape. I haven't had any longer term issues related to this - as of yet anyway. The JB get's stored for the winter in covered storage now!
Good point for the northern folks. I have always made it a point to drag out a ladder and broom if my RTT accumulated more than 6 inches of snow and cleared it off. Same with our Scamp camper.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’ve had the tent for almost 2 years and it has had the dip on for almost a year.

I really don’t think the dip did this as the tent isn’t exactly sealed. There is no perimeter gasket and the side and top vent allow air to move through the tent. Yes it’s limited but it’s not like it’s a sealed cavity.

I’ve certainly never seen a Yakima, Thule, or even a inno box, which are all black, do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shade

I’ve had the tent for almost 2 years and it has had the dip on for almost a year.

I really don’t think the dip did this as the tent isn’t exactly sealed. There is no perimeter gasket and the side and top vent allow air to move through the tent. Yes it’s limited but it’s not like it’s a sealed cavity.

I’ve certainly never seen a Yakima, Thule, or even a inno box, which are all black, do this.
Both planes have black metal skins, so they must perform the same, right?

Last edited: