James Bay Road/Trans-Taiga Road 6/23/07 - 7/1/07

Date: June 23, 2007 through July 1, 2007
Location: James Bay Road and as much of the Trans-Taiga Road that time will allow
Things to do: Take a guided tour of the hydroelectric generating plant, Kayak in James Bay (if we get our Kayaks in time), drive, drive, drive, and then finally drive. I’m sure there will be some hiking involved too.
These are the web sites that I found most helpful

http://jamesbayroad.com/
Scroll down to where you see “A REMOTE WILD LAND OF EXTREME DISTANCES…” and click on the two links there. This web site has just about all the information you would need for a trip up there.

http://www.davidrose.us/DavidWebPage/MINICooperS/HudsonsBay/JamesBayTrip.html
David and Jay’s Excellent Adventure These two guys did the James Bay Road part of the trip in a Mini Cooper. I don’t think there will be too much technical driving involved. My truck should be ok.

My truck http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4585

And finally from our own Expedition Portal
http://www.purplelizard.com/james bay.htm
Lots of great pictures and information. And they did it in the winter!!!:bowdown:

This is my route.

Mileage involved
Marquette, Michigan (home) to Matagami 722 miles
Matagami to Radisson 384 miles
Radisson to James Bay/Chisasibi 66 miles
James Bay/Chisasibi to Radisson 66 miles
Radisson to Caniapiscau 461 miles
Caniapiscau to Radisson 461 miles
Radisson to Matagami 384 miles
Matagami to Marquette, Michigan (home) 722 miles

Total miles = 3266:truck:

My map (not all locations shown)
View attachment 8470

mike h

Adventurer
The winter drive was fun, but I can't wait to return in summer one of these seasons! If there is anything I can help you with, just ask.

mike

mike h said:
The winter drive was fun, but I can't wait to return in summer one of these seasons! If there is anything I can help you with, just ask.

mike

Thanks a lot...It's been a mad rush to get everything all together and ready in time. I could use another three months to prepare.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
If you ever need a second set of hands to help out with anything let me know. This is going to be a great trek. Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pictures.:jumping:

mike h

Adventurer
You will, in all certainty, encounter insects of unusual size and veracity! When I did the Trans-Lab a few years ago I was amazed at the fly population. Living in Maine I thought I was fairly prepared and resistant - but... bring head nets! And may you always camp in the wind!

one note - the food available at grocery stores is wonderful - you can plan on restocking in every town. Fresh fruit and produce, a wide variety of camping stuff, batteries, clothing - I went 'self-contained' but soon realized you can travel lightly up there, and just buy a few days of food for the field as needed. Prices were not that high, and selection was amazing.

Avoid the restaurants, to a degree - the menu is slim and repetitive, and expensive. The Radisson grocery store can sell you fresh baked bread, a block of gourmet cheese, fresh grapes, organic lettuce, salad dressing, pre-made sandwiches, beer and wine. Be aware most native communities are dry - no alcohol for sale. Great food selection throughout the region (better than most of Northern Maine!)

If you have room for an extra spare tire, bring it. That is one item that is hard to find, and will set you back if you need one shipped (or flown) in.

m.

Thanks for the great info.

I am bringing a second spare tire and in fact I was working this weekend on how to hold it in place in the back of my truck without having to drill a hole in my bed. Pictures soon to come. I also have a plug kit if things really get bad. We just bought some cheap head nets from Gander Mountain too. Tomorrow I hope to hook up an exterior light on my camper(to illuminate the black bears before they rip into my camper), install a yakima rack, and finalize they layout of some of my cargo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles