Taken from: http://getlost4x4.com/?p=565

Words and Photos: Ross Hildebrandt
(c)2009

Then:
DSC03165.jpg

Now:
p1031.jpg

crawling057Medium.jpg

It seems like just yesterday we decided to pull the trigger on our Jeep Commander. We had been pining for a Commander for almost a year. Once we took our first test drive we knew we wanted it. Our first test drive actually lasted over an hour; the car dealer let us take it for a drive without the sales man. We promptly tested the Commander to its full stock potential including some rough off-road terrain. We knew what we needed in a new vehicle: room, off-road prowess, powerful motor and good reliability. So far we have come to love the Commander. Now that we have put over 70,000 miles on the Commander we do not think we'll ever let it go.

We purchased our commander as an upgraded Sport model. The upgrades on our Commander from the base model include: leather heated seats, 4.7L V8, Sirius Satellite Radio, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, second row skylights, moon-roof, fog lights, rear-view mirror defrosters, and Quadra-Trac 2 traction control system.

Our model has the extremely reliable 4.7-liter V8. The motor is rated at 235 horsepower and 305 foot-pounds torque at the flywheel. The 4.7-liter V8 is an overhead cam engine with 2 valves per cylinder. Our commander was upgraded with the tow package, which upgrades the alternator to 160 amps, heavy-duty cooling system, tow/haul mode, and class 4 receiver hitch. This motor has been simply perfect. This motor returns an average fuel economy of 17 mile per gallon. Since we spend most of our miles driving highways it's easy on fuel. We change the oil every 6000 miles and use only synthetic oil in the motor. After 70,000 miles the motor doesn't use a drop of oil between oil changes. The only maintenance we have performed on this motor is: oil changes, spark plugs, and air filters. This motor is a great motor.

For the rest of the drive train we have the 545RFE, 5 speed automatic transmission. This is an electronically controlled transmission with 5 forward gears and a lower gear ratio on the downshift of second gear to soften the feel of the shift. The first gear in the 545RFE transmission has a gear ratio of 3.00:1. When combined with the transfer low-range gear ratio and the axle ratio the Commander has a crawl ratio of 30.5:1. This ratio feels perfect for four wheeling.

The transfer case is a full-time NV245 with a low range gear ratio of 2.72:1. The transfer case has been for the most part trouble free. The only difficulties we have had with it were water getting into the electrical connector for the transfer case. We crossed a stream and the water was up to the middle of the door. Once we got to the other side of the stream the Commander would not move. After a bit of fiddling around we removed the plug to the transfer case, dried it out and were promptly on our way.

As for the rest of the drive train we have not had any major problems. The axles have not broken in all our off-road outings. So far our only gripe is the lack of aftermarket gears and lockers for the Commander. One problem we do have is in the front end. We seem to have a noise coming from the front end, it sounds kind of like rotor blades on a helicopter, it only happens when the Commander is coasting. We have had this noise in the front for about 40,000 miles. I have inspected the front axle and suspension and still cannot locate the source of the noise. So, we just put up with it. Drive shafts have not been an issue with this vehicle either. We also have had very good luck with the brakes; we have not had to replace them yet.

As for the interior of our Commander we are very pleased. We chose leather because we have kids, we like it, and its very easy to clean and maintain. The leather seats are wearing very well with no signs of wear. We use leather conditioner on the seats about every 2 months. The seats in the Commander are very comfortable with plenty of adjustment for long trips. Most of the interior panels are made from plastic, and while some people may think it's cheap and ugly, we actually like it and it's very easy to clean up after weeks of abuse. If there were anything we could change it would be the carpet color, it would look much better with black carpet. With the removal of the third row of seats we have increased our interior storage space by 9.25 cubic feet. We built a custom storage are where the third row was placed. We built this storage compartment to be at the same level as the second row seats when they are laid down. This makes for a perfect sleeping platform inside the Commander.

As for the exterior of the Commander, the paint shows a little wear. The trees have been a little hard on the clear coat and added quite a few scrapes into the paint. I recently used some buffing compound and an electric buffer on the paint; with this combination most of the light scratches were removed. The front bumper has been replaced with a steel winch bumper for extraction purposes and front-end protection. On the sides of the Commander we custom built rocker guards to protect the doors from trail obstacles. We custom built a rear tire carrier that ties into the frame, it carriers two jerry cans and one spare tire.

Some Quick Cliff Notes:

The Good

* Plenty of interior room.
* Rock solid reliability.
* Cheap operating costs.
* Comfortable.

The Bad

* Can be a bit thirsty.
* Not much aftermarket support.
* Small 20.5-gallon fuel tank.
* Traction Control does not do well in deep mud or deep snow.

Current mileage: 70000

Average MPG: 16-17

At the current time this is our set-up on our 2006 Commander.

YEAR: 2006
MAKE: Jeep Commander
MODEL: Limited

ENGINE: 4.7lt. V8
TRANSMISSION: 5-Speed automatic
DRIVETRAIN: QT2

SUSPENSION:
Removed all sway bars
FRONT: OME HD Springs, 1/2 Suspension Spacer ~3" lift in front, Custom UCAs with 1" uniball
REAR: Bilstien 255/75 valved 5150 Shocks. 12" travel, Custom Rear Springs

TIRES: 255/75/17 BFG Mud KM
WHEELS: Jeep Rubicon 5 Spoke 17"
BRAKES: Stock for now

ELECTRICAL:
Garmin GPS 60CSX
Cobra 29 SX WXT CB radio
Firestik CB antenna mounts and coax

RECOVERY:
48" Hi-Lift mounted to spare tire carrier
20k lb tow line
T-MAX EW-90000W winch
T-Max Winch Recovery Kit

OTHER:
Custom Rear Storage Compartments
Rear Tire carrier with Jerry Can mounts
Custom Front Bumper and Skid Plate
Hella 6.5" Fog Lights
Industrial Fire Extinguisher
Optima Yellow Top Battery
On Board Air
Custom Tube Slider Rocker Protection

FUTURE MODS:
Snorkel
Front Solid Axle Conversion (3 Link set-up, JK D44 front Axle)
3 Link Rear conversion
ARB Rear Locker
4.10 Rear Axle Gears
Engine Power Programmer
Defender Roof Rack
33x10.5x17 Pizza Cutter tires
Flowmaster 50 Series SUV muffler
LED Tail Lamps
HID Headlamps

We really like this vehicle and it fits our family perfectly. The commander works well off-road and is pretty tough. We will continue to drive this Jeep until the wheels fall off. It's a very well built vehicle.

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the review!

I really like these trucks. To this day I don't understand why they haven't been more popular.

I have some questions for you. :)

I've heard people complain that the 4.7 is not enough engine for the Commander. The 4.7 is a great engine, but is it enough engine in your opinion? Off the cuff I'd assume that it is plenty of engine...

You mentioned about water getting inside the connecter sheath for the electrics? How would you go about water proofing this? Just whack it with a bunch of grease?

For your front end noise... does the engine have a mechanical driven fan with a viscous clutch? Could the noise be due to the clutch not engaging or disengaging correctly? If it was windmilling the "wrong way" it might make that kind of noise? JAT

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the review!

I really like these trucks. To this day I don't understand why they haven't been more popular.

I have some questions for you. :)

Still not sure why they are not as popular. maybe they will catch on later. Jeep is still building them for another year. so they must be selling them. We see lots of them in Wyoming and Montana. I have only seen a few modified.

I've heard people complain that the 4.7 is not enough engine for the Commander. The 4.7 is a great engine, but is it enough engine in your opinion? Off the cuff I'd assume that it is plenty of engine...

i feel the 4.7 is the best motor in the commander. i've driven one with the Hemi and it didn't feel like it had much more power then my 4.7. it has pretty good grunt. i've towed over 6000 lbs with it and it didn't have any problem. that was with the lift and oversized tires.

You mentioned about water getting inside the connecter sheath for the electrics? How would you go about water proofing this? Just whack it with a bunch of grease?

some grease would probably fix the problem. i've crossed a few streams before. but this one took about 3 minutes to get across and had a strong current.

For your front end noise... does the engine have a mechanical driven fan with a viscous clutch? Could the noise be due to the clutch not engaging or disengaging correctly? If it was windmilling the "wrong way" it might make that kind of noise? JAT

i actually removed the mechanical fan because its annoying. i also wanted to see if my mileage was effected by it at all. the front end noise is still there. there is a large electric fan in there as well. i'm not sure if it makes any noise though. it comes and goes. there just might be some kind of vibration off something as well. i can't seem to located it.

haven

Expedition Leader
Nice write-up -- thanks for sharing.

You wrote: "We knew what we needed in a new vehicle: room, off-road prowess, powerful motor and good reliability."
Was the Wrangler Unlimited considered, or is it too weak under the hood? Or maybe the Wrangler was
too unsophisticated, compared to the Commander?

AEV showed a Commander concept at SEMA in 2005. Scott Brady snapped this photo:
IMG_2339.JPG

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
i actually removed the mechanical fan because its annoying. i also wanted to see if my mileage was effected by it at all. the front end noise is still there. there is a large electric fan in there as well. i'm not sure if it makes any noise though. it comes and goes. there just might be some kind of vibration off something as well. i can't seem to located it.

Is it a loud noise? Is there any form of vibration associated with it - even something very subtle?

If it's not in the engine acc drive it makes me think about the front prop shaft. If it is mildly out of balance that could be it... did the noise start after you lifted it? Or perhaps a very slightly sloppy front bearing in the front output of the transfer case. Is it "front front" or a general in the front of the middle noise? :)

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Nice write-up -- thanks for sharing.

You wrote: "We knew what we needed in a new vehicle: room, off-road prowess, powerful motor and good reliability."
Was the Wrangler Unlimited considered, or is it too weak under the hood? Or maybe the Wrangler was
too unsophisticated, compared to the Commander?

AEV showed a Commander concept at SEMA in 2005. Scott Brady snapped this photo:

Reasons we choose the Commander:

*V8
*Towing Power
*5 speed auto
*Moon roof and skylights (and i don't like convertibles)
*LEATHER!!!!!
*Much more refined.

Why i didn't consider a JK Rubicon (i have tested them out as well)

*Underpowered and gutless
*switch layout was annoying after driving a commander
*no leather option
*No heated seats??
*very cramped interior especially with two kids

-that said, if the Rubicon JK 4-door had a V8 or diesel factory installed with leather seats i would get one. i could probably live with it if i had a trailer or roof rack.

that said i wish i had a solid front axle. put i have plans to change that when i am done with school in two years. it will get beefed up JK axles front and back. other the that, everything about the commander is great.

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i used OME springs for my lift. the only thing i can think of is it could be the front CV axles? the driveshaft has not been moved and the front axle is still in its original position. It seems like it happened about 6 months after the lift was installed. the noise comes from the front passenger-side of the vehicle.

Is it a loud noise? Is there any form of vibration associated with it - even something very subtle?

If it's not in the engine acc drive it makes me think about the front prop shaft. If it is mildly out of balance that could be it... did the noise start after you lifted it? Or perhaps a very slightly sloppy front bearing in the front output of the transfer case. Is it "front front" or a general in the front of the middle noise? :)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I dunno...

Can you remove the front half shafts easily? Do they need to be installed in order to keep the oil in the diff housing? My old Sidekick was this way - driver's shaft had to be installed in order to keep the oil in the diff. :rolleyes:

Just thinking that if you could pull the shaft and drive it you might be able to confirm/eliminate it as the noise source. Could still be the prop shaft too... dirty/tired u-joint or something. With your transfer case the front prop shaft is always turning, right?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i guess it depends on your driving habits. i've had mine removed for about a year now and it has not rolled yet.

i guess my best suggestion is to use common sense. its a jeep, not a ferrari. if you don't feel safe without them, just leave them alone.

i drive mine everywhere and on the freeways. in fact, i was just down in Denver driving around with my Commander. there is a little more body roll, but nothing like my old Toyota Pickup without swaybars and supper flexy suspension.

i'm not going to tell you how safe it is. make up your own mind. for me it works and i don't have any problems. but then again you could flip your rig and try to blame the guy that told you to remove the sway bars.

M

modelbuilder

I wont blame you....my main concern is the brake lines....I have a RRO budget boost on my WK...will the brake lines rip if I remove the sway bars?

Did you disconnect them and remove the "disconnects" completely so you just have the sway bar sitting there?

How much more travel will I gain?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
you'll have to test to see what happens.

how are your rear shocks? if they are only an inch longer then stock you should not need to do anything with the brake lines. but you should still check by driving up a loading dock with one tire on the ramp to check the brake lines.

i'm using 12" travel shocks in the rear of my commander and springs out of a Ford Aerostar van. i can run these shocks because i fabricated a new upper shock mount location which is about 2-3 inches higher then stock. i had to cut out the stock mount and weld in my new one.

in the rear i'm using Superlifts brake relocation brackets. if you call them and talk to them they will sell you those parts. i think they cost me about $30.

in the front of my commander the only modifications i have are new upper control arms (no longer manufactured), OME HD springs and a 1/2" spacer, and removed the sway bar.

Maybe i'll do a write up on my site about it. it seems like i'm always being asked what i've done to the suspension on my commander.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior