Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I have to ask, in the last video, are the tire tracks behind you, the ones that go down the grass hill and across the sidewalk, yours?

No, they're not, and I didn't even seen them until I was editing the video.

To be honest I'm not taking the Jeep through mud or even offroad yet, because I'm enjoying working on it so much while it's clean!
Once it's done it will be time to get it solidly coated!!

It's been in 4x4 for all of about 20 seconds on a gravel road just to test it, now has 2000kms on the clock.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

Steel wheels have a ton of strength advantages over aluminium, and for getting as remote as possible on the planet I would never use anything else.
Something most people don't think about is the laws in different countries around the world. These Mopar Steel wheels will keep my new Yokohama Tires completely inside the guards, which is super important here in Australia so I get to spend my time actually enjoying my trip and not fighting with the authorities!

I'm editing together the install video of these X-AT tires and steel wheels now.
DSC07557-sm.jpg

-Dan

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hi all,

Steel wheels have a ton of strength advantages over aluminium, and for getting as remote as possible on the planet I would never use anything else.
Something most people don't think about is the laws in different countries around the world. These Mopar Steel wheels will keep my new Yokohama Tires completely inside the guards, which is super important here in Australia so I get to spend my time actually enjoying my trip and not fighting with the authorities!

I'm editing together the install video of these X-AT tires and steel wheels now.
View attachment 675992

-Dan
How about some smooth white steelies for this look?
bcec3936-9d5f-432a-91e0-cf31f75c25af-IMG_0232.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The Wheels and tire install video is online now, I think they look great and I'm sure they'll give me no problems!

I've chosen to run 285/75R17 tires (33x11.5) for a whole host of reasons I get into in the video.
Given how tough these tires are, I'm confident I'll only need the one set to explore all of Australia!

-Dan

zgfiredude

You had me there for a second......but you have a typo I think. Video states 285/70/17 not 285/75/17 (34x10.50).

Any input with regard to that difference/choice? Not to beat the size drum too hard, but tall and skinny is the new black! ;):ROFLMAO:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
You had me there for a second......but you have a typo I think. Video states 285/70/17 not 285/75/17 (34x10.50).

Any input with regard to that difference/choice? Not to beat the size drum too hard, but tall and skinny is the new black! ;):ROFLMAO:

Sorry, that's a typo. They are 285/70R17.

I probably would have gone 75 profile if they existed, but they don't in this tire that I wanted to run.

-Dan

zgfiredude

I appreciate your rationale......the quality tire methodology has held true for me my entire life vs. the few cheap ones I bought as a poor college kid.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

Continuing the build, on this episode I install a CB radio into my Jeep Gladiator.
I've never had one in my vehicles before thanks to what I call "The Ghostbusters problem" (Who Ya Gunna Call?), but here in Australia UHF CB radios are actually mandatory for some of the more remote desert crossings I'm planning.
I spend my time on this episode figuring out exactly where to mount the radio to best meet my needs, then get stuck in!

I'm *still* waiting for a couple of the biggest pieces of this puzzle, though there is forward progress and I'm getting close to hitting the road!
I'd rather get out on adventures sooner (that's the point, after all), so even if I go on a few advenures sort of close to Dad's house during September without the build being 100% complete I think that will be best. Then I'll circle back to Dad's house and finish everything off with a week in the garage before going further afield - if Covid restricitons will let me! Australia is *really* struggling right now, with well over half the population under extremely strict lockdown.

-Dan

case

Observer
I just listened to your recent appearance on the Off the Road Again Podcast yesterday. I enjoyed it and look forward to your future trip reports and thoughts on the Gladiator after you've had it a while.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

Putting branding stickers all over an overland vehicle is a controversial topic, especially for an international trip where safety is a concern.
On one hand it's good to have a vehicle that stands out so nobody will mess with it, while on the other hand it can be advantagoues to blend in as much as possible.

In this video I run through the pros and cons to branding your vehicle, show you what I've done previously and why, and then show the branding I've decided to go with for my Australian Jeep Gladiator.
Finally, I'll show you how to actually apply them, and the lessons I learned doing so - including a not so successful attempt.

-Dan

redruby

Dan I’ve met and talked to you at some of the OverlandExpo events, love the gladiator build. I’m waiting for mine to be built eta is mid October or early November I will be adding an Alucab that’s do in about the same time. I have used the flexible solar panels for 4-5 years now have them glued to my RTT and will be setting up a 2nd battery system as well, I will be using this battery to power my frig and communications will be eliminating the rear seats and have the frig on the passenger side and on the driver side will be building a closet of some type for my clothes. All my food storage will be in the Alucab. Looking forward to see the rest of the build.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,
After months of work, I just had a custom canopy installed on the bed of my Gladiator.
The goal is to keep everything in the bed out of the rain, sun and dust, while keeping it extremely lightweight - so it's made of canvas.

In this episode I give a detailed walk through of the pros and cons, and why I've chosen to go this way.

There are a few more major pieces of the build I'm still waiting for, and covid lockdowns here are now severe, which is going to have a very big impact on the trip.
Like my previous expeditions, I will just have to find a way!

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

My latest project on the Gladiator has been to build and wire charging blocks to keep all my electronics charged up and installing lights on the inside for convenience.

It's funny how the small "insignificant" projects are the ones that take the most time on an overland build!

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles