Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I often wish I had a way to talk to some YouTube creators and here you are giving us the option. I need to start taking advantage of it. So, I think you called your tent a swag. I always hear about spiders, insects, snakes, crocs, etc being so dangerous in Australia. Is that not the case?

Thanks for sharing your travels.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The whole "Everything in Australia is trying to kill you" thing is cute and funny, but it's pretty far from reality.
I've been here 6 months, and in ALL that time I've seen a grand total of 2 things that are dangerous (snakes). They both slithered away from me as fast as they freaking could.

You have to go really far north to get crocs (I will get there, and they will be a concern in the swag).

For snakes and spiders as long as I keep it zipped up I'll be fine.

Jellyfish are a problem in the ocean up north - there will be plenty of places I simply won't be able to go in the water at all.

But really, I see more bears in Canada in a summer that I've seen "dangerous" things in Australia in 6 months.

-Dan

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Here on Vancouver Island in BC we have...

- Packs of Wolves
- Black Bears
- Grizzly Bears (not native to the island but they swim over and island hop here, north island)
- Cougar.... sooooo many cougars (highest density anywhere I am told)
- Rattle Snakes
- um, really BAD drivers
- High mountains, big cliffs
- COLD winters and icy roads

We do have universal healthcare, so there's that.

I have wanted to make a trip to Aus for so many years. Might be a thing to do when I am old(er). For now, I a, living vicariously though you guys Dan! And yes, I hear that those box jellyfish are super dangerous.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

In my latest video I showcase the stunning Tasmanaian wilderness as we finish off our 100km (60 mile) wilderness hike over nine days on the Overland Track.

People often ask why I built an "Overland Rig" to then spend so much time on foot.

For me, an overland vehicle is just the delivery method to get into the adventures I want to have. Maybe it's hiking, hunting, fishing or surfing. Maybe it's even wandering a street market in the Congo, or poking lava with a stick in Guatemala.
Whatever the adventure, my vehicles take me there, and I continue to explore and enjoy myself as I jump out of the drivers seat and explore the world around me.

We all have a different goal in our Overland Journeys, and mine is usually to explore as far and wide as possible. When there are no roads, that means going on foot!

-Dan

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Hi Everyone,

In my latest video I showcase the stunning Tasmanaian wilderness as we finish off our 100km (60 mile) wilderness hike over nine days on the Overland Track.

People often ask why I built an "Overland Rig" to then spend so much time on foot.

For me, an overland vehicle is just the delivery method to get into the adventures I want to have. Maybe it's hiking, hunting, fishing or surfing. Maybe it's even wandering a street market in the Congo, or poking lava with a stick in Guatemala.
Whatever the adventure, my vehicles take me there, and I continue to explore and enjoy myself as I jump out of the drivers seat and explore the world around me.

We all have a different goal in our Overland Journeys, and mine is usually to explore as far and wide as possible. When there are no roads, that means going on foot!

-Dan

If you get up to the New England North West, happy to send you off on the Wilderness Trail up here - 3 days in the Bellinger headwaters, starting at about 1300m and dropping down to ~100m by the end. 36kms, but 5km + is walking in the river!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If you get up to the New England North West, happy to send you off on the Wilderness Trail up here - 3 days in the Bellinger headwaters, starting at about 1300m and dropping down to ~100m by the end. 36kms, but 5km + is walking in the river!

I would love to take you up on that offer! New Hampshire and Maine are two of my favourite states, and I need to spend more time exploring there on foot and in a vehicle!

-Dan

Paddler Ed

Adventurer

ITTOG

Hi Everyone,

-Dan
I completely agree with you. Too many view overlanding to narrowly in my opinion. Thus I created my own definition that is partly from the definition on Wikipedia.

Overlanding is self-reliant overland travel to remote destinations where the journey is the principal goal. Typically, but not exclusively, it is accomplished with mechanized off-road capable transport where the principal form of lodging is camping, often lasting for extended lengths of time. It also includes travel by ATV, boat (there is land under that water), and foot.

SFP

Jellyfish are a problem in the ocean up north - there will be plenty of places I simply won't be able to go in the water at all.

But really, I see more bears in Canada in a summer that I've seen "dangerous" things in Australia in 6 months.

-Dan

Nothing like sharing your watering hole with a full size adult Wolverine (animal casually walked up to drink from the lake I was filling my water jug in, 5 feet away). Won't lie... that scared the bejesusses out of me. That being said I'll never forget the experience.

As a Canadian I always have to smile when I hear about people down south asking how to bring their side arms and rifles into Canada for protection in order to camp.

40+ years now and I have not once needed a firearm - encounters include multiple black bears (including mom's with cubs), grizzle bears, kicking a black bear in the ass through my ground tent as it had decided that sitting and leaning on my tent wall was a good place to sit it's rear end and relax on that particular morning, timber wolves, cougars, rattlesnakes, big horn sheep, moose (gods they are soo soo big), elk, etc.

On the mainland rattlers and black widows are honestly my biggest fear and that is just because they react so quickly when once accidently comes across one - larger mammals - the one normally sees are nomally more interested in getting away from a human, and they typically see you long before you see them.
Tourists (un-experienced drivers of larger trucks/overloaded RVs) in rental RVs/overloaded RVs scare me more than any wildlife.

That being said, I still camp in a tent 90 percent of the time.
Common sense, smart habits (regarding food storage and cooking and such) go a long way.
Yes I carry a bear bell when walking.
I always shake out boots/shoes before putting my feet into them regardless of them being safely inside my tent all night. I always shake out my sleeping bag before crawling in just in case.
I always store food and garbage out of reach of wildlife.
I always have a fixed blade on my waist - not saying it will actually help but it does feel better knowing it is there.

All of that being said when I used to live in Alberta we used to do "betting pools" on how far into tourist season it took before someone got done in by a bear. Freely admit it was childish/immature game at the time - but year after year people ignore ALL the signs and try to feed a wild bear or get between mom's and cubs trying to get that photo and the animal reacts (and then sadly it gets put down).

Thanks again Dan for being approachable, interacting with us all here and sharing your experience. You ever get over to Vancouver Island look me up Mate.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

I've been exploring Bruny Island off Tasmania - yep, that's an Island off an island... off an island :D

I finally got the Gladiator onto the beach for the first time, explored stunning forests and beaches and had a great time!

The house on wheels Gladiator continues to perform really well, and every day on the road is getting more and more streamlined as I find a home for everything and get more efficient with every system.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

As I moved around Africa I interviewed interesting Overlanders that I bumped into - showing their story and what they were up to.

Here in Australia I've decided for a twist on that, and I'll be filming interesting Overland vehicles that I come across, showing the features and interesting bits and pieces that I think make them fantastic for long term overlanding.

To kick off "Overland Rides", I give you

THE CRUSINATOR!!

With a 4.5Ltr V8 Turbo Diesel, 180L (65Gal) Diesel capacity, 100L (26Gal) Drinking water tank, diesel heater, water heater, shower, fridge, freezer and plenty of room to swing a dead cat INSIDE, this thing is a beast of a house on wheels.

The owners are just wrapping up a ten month trip around all of Australia, so you know this vehicle actually works in the real world.
There are a ton of well-thought out features and ideas on this vehicle I really appreciate as a long-term overlander, don't be surprised when a few of them turn up on my vehicles in the future.

Video tour of all the features of this monster out now!

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

I've been exploring South West Tasmania, which may just be the most stunning place I've ever explored on the planet.

The wilderness is immense, and there is simply nobody around - it's like having Alaska or the Yukon all to yourself - simply incredible.

I show it off in my latest episode on YouTube:

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time coming, and I'm finally exploring the region of Tasmania I have been looking forward to most of all.
With a name like "The Road to Nowhere" I couldn't resit exploring the famous Western Wilderness Road in the most remote region of Tasmania.
With very little traffic, genuine mountains, wild coastline and virtually no development, this is the perfect place to roam wild for a few days.

In my latest video I bring you along for the journey, and even teach you about some famous Aussie food for fun!

-Dan

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Absolutely loving the Tasmania videos Dan! The west coast is really epic - is it mostly public land? national park? or just undeveloped private land ? I know you're visiting in summer, any sense of how brutal it gets down there in winter?

billiebob

Nice expansion Dan.

I love your input and experience. Showcasing other vehicles at the same level, proven durability as yours is very cool.

YOU have credibility..... we know this is not spin. Very cool.
On the marketing thing..... how do you separate, define those "editorials".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne