Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 Diesel CRD

Scott Brady

Founder
Looks like we both had the same train of thought today... They price out in the mid 40's and get 23+ mpg on the highway.

Scott Brady

Founder
I think I could live with this...

GC2005AEV.jpg

More AEV sweetness

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Amen on the manual trans, but I couldn't even get one in my 4Runner. I briefly considered one of these Grand Cherokees CRDs because I want diesel-power. I'm sure they will perform well and being a Jeep there will be plenty of stuff made for them. But they were not yet available in December '06 when I was hoping, 40K instead of the 30K I spend on my 4Runner, and I'm not wild about unibody over body-on-frame. The unibody is probably just fine, classic Cherokees can do very well, it's just a bias. Hopefully this is only the first of many utility vehicle diesels that are on their way. I hope that if and when they come they are not all 'luxury' models. A 4-door diesel Jeep JK would be nice :)

Bella PSD said:
They got the Diesel part right now how about a manual transmission to go with it ???

Louie

Scott Brady

Founder
Does anyone know real world mileage results with this truck?

I also heard rumor that this year was not the bluetech motor with the filters, etc. That would make this MEX ready.

2500Adventures

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I also heard rumor that this year was not the bluetech motor with the filters, etc. That would make this MEX ready.

Your right it seems that the BlueTech might make it out next year but for now it is another style diesel...

Maybe their saving the BlueTech to be unveiled in a Jeep JK before anything else perhaps???

Scott Brady

Founder
Good article, thank you.

This years is not a Bluetech motor. Man, this is a real sleeper solution for overlanding. You can even get it with the "Overland" package which has the Quadra-Trac II. :victory:

I am finding some reports of 26-28 mpg on the highway at 60-65 mph speeds. A 7,500 lb tow rating too.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
So for a mere 40k you can get a limited production diesel Jeep Grand that is emissions legal in 45 of the 50 states and sports a motor soon to be replaced?

I'm thinking wait a few more years for a more mainstream offering, but that is just me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are playing with the idea, and the AEV one is quite sexy, but I'm just not convinced.

Scott Brady

Founder
calamaridog said:
So for a mere 40k you can get a limited production diesel Jeep Grand that is emissions legal in 45 of the 50 states and sports a motor soon to be replaced?

This is what makes it so great!

It is a pre-2008 emissions motor from Mercedes sedans that will run on bio-fuel and MEX diesel. This is a proven motor in hundreds of thousands of Mercedes cars.

You don't want the BlueTech motor because of the particulate filters and "low-sulfur fuel" only requirement.

I dig it! Hopefully the reliability is reasonable...

jingram

Adventurer
My only concern with it is how does it handle the lower lubricity of the low sulfer mixes now at the pumps? I am assuming fine since that started showing up in November, but I know it has been a real issue with motors designed to run dirty diesel.

I haven't dug into the bluetec stuff much, but my understanding was that it is purely for clean burn/emissions. What about you guys in the CRD liberty? Have you had to add additives to your fuel since the switch or have you been ok?

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Scott,

My only issue is this is a low production numbers vehicle and a dealer service network totally unprepared to service the vehicle. Not to mention parts availability for a Mercedes motor via a Chrysler auto group that is going to be sold.

Perhaps for you this vehicle would work, but I'm guessing for most it will be a bad idea.

Did I mention the AEV Grand looks sexy?:drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles