Jeep/Land Rover 109 hybrid

rejeep

Quite a few i6 motors were developed and used in truck and car platforms due to their inner at balance and good hp/tq numbers..

Many Holden's ended up in rovers..

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Fantastic build Chris! Love it! I am a little saddened by the use of bedliner on the exterior and dash etc. I think that takes a bit away from the classic feel, but it is obviously up to you. (I really didn't want to be the guy who complains about how YOU do YOUR build, but bedliner is near impossible to reverse at a later date).

BBCchris

Observer
Fantastic build Chris! Love it! I am a little saddened by the use of bedliner on the exterior and dash etc. I think that takes a bit away from the classic feel, but it is obviously up to you. (I really didn't want to be the guy who complains about how YOU do YOUR build, but bedliner is near impossible to reverse at a later date).

I went back and forth on the use of it too. One of the reasons I went with the Raptor Liner on the interior was that it doesn't have the build thickness the other commercial hot spray liners do. So if that day came that I had to remove it "might" be a bit easier. In my mind it was another way to combat the bulkhead rust problem that they sometimes have as well. Truth is that I changed so much of the truck from stock to where it is now.... I doubt that it's going to have much value to anyone but myself.
On a side note the exterior will be PAINTED the same color that I tinted the interior.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love the project! Looks like you are doing a top notch job too. You're going to have a fantastic rig when it's done. I'd be proud to own it!

BBCchris

Observer
And now it's steerable again. I know it's progressing pretty slowly. I unfortunately don't have much free time during the summer.

rovota bum

inspired

Amazing build! I am in the process of building a similar project 64 109 wagon. 84 toyota axles 5spd trans& trans case, chevy 305 tbi out of 90s 1/2 ton pickup. No heavy wheeling IE: rock crawling just want a capable rig to get me to the back country and be able to cruise the highway 65-70 getting there. PLUS I wanted old school looks in a daily driver. I like your choice of the 4.0 inline I am a huge inline fan but you use what you got. I had the 305 and I like the reliability of the SBC the 305 should not overpower the toyota trans. I have all the adapters and in the process of mounting it in the frame. Now if you think your build is going slowly (which I do not) You will be pleased to know you are leading the pack in hybrid 109 builds. Seriously! I am watching your build very closely please keep the posts coming, I am inspired (did I say that already?) Pics will follow when I get back on the build.

BBCchris

Observer
Here's what I came up with for the clutch master cylinder. Oddly enough the 2a and a '95 Jeep XJ share an almost identical clutch master cylinder. I ordered one from rockauto on the cheap just in case it didn't work out.

Side by side they checked out to be almost the same. The Jeep one has 1/16" more stroke all said and done.

I ended up using the 2a rod because it was already threaded. I also had to do some trimming on the body of the Jeep master because of the shape in one spot..... but it fits in there nicely.

I won't be using the plastic line that's usually stock on jeeps. Advance Adapters has these adapter fittings that go into the slave and master so you can use a braided line. Hopefully they'll be here in a few days and I'll be able to button up this part of it.

BBCchris

Observer
Other than that I tossed on all the front sheet metal to get an idea of where all the stuff is going to be..... and I was in need of some serious motivation.

Doesn't it just look like it belongs in there! :ylsmoke:
A guy on the Defender site was nice enough the pallet up an extra fender/wing for me to replace the crappy one I had on it. I've also found a useable correct 2A grille/breakfast as well. Hopefully I'll have some more pictures and progress to report as soon as all the fenders, hood and doors come back from being blasted.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice work! My 5 year old and I were just eyeballing an old rover in a parking lot the other day... very cool,they just speak to adventure. can't wait to see you have this up and running.

1v6pony

Adventurer
Wow, like the look of the old rovers, I guy a mile a way has one, tucked up close to the house, not running I so want to see if he would sell it but I just got finished , well finished for now building a custom 1966 jeepster Commando.
cannot afford two projects...

BBCchris

Observer
any progress on this?

Yeah, it's still progressing at a snails pace. I don't seem to get much work done on it during the summer months, and I have a way of getting distracted with other projects.

The modified 4.0 engine harness is installed. I shipped it off to a guy on another site that thinned it out and made the necessary changes. He did a nice clean job of it and was very affordable. (PM me if you'd like his contact info).

Computer and fuse block all mounted up.

I had to modify a defender 90 heater box to give the 4.0 a little room, but it doesn't hurt the air flow. It'll be sucking in air from the left fender top.

Now that I got all the front bits sorted out, I can weld up the unused holes on the inner fenders and get to putting some color on the outside..... finally. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles