Jeep TJ Stereo Speaker Replacement Options?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I know very little about speakers beyond the basics, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

I'm looking to replace the stock speakers in my 1997 Jeep TJ.

4"x6" in the dashboard and 5.25" in the overhead bar.

At this point I'm not planning to replace the stock head unit or any of the wiring, although recommendations for that are welcome too.

I'm looking for a good speaker for the money.

Thanks
Brian

screwball48

Explorer
Crutchfield.com will be your friend.
Oh and don't forget that the speaker sizes are "oversize" not the standard size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abart

I have used Crutchfield as well and been happy with them. They also have (at least a couple years ago) a scratch and dent or open box section that one of the reps told me a bout when I ordered speakers and a stereo for my Jeep so I got a pretty good deal on everything I bought. It might be worth looking into and they are very helpful with any questions you have.

bodynmotion

Adventurer
I just upgraded my head unit and speakers from Crutchfield and best buy. My 05' has sound pods vs sound bar, but I changed my 5.25" with Kicker 40CS5's from Best Buy. They sound really good and mount really well. Note: if you have a sound bar, sound pod or any dead air space, fill it with Poly fill that comes in bags from walmart or a fabric store (same stuff that put in decorative pillows). I did a test to see if it was better or worse. 10x better without question. It also helps with rattles caused by deeper base or bumpy roads. I have to do my dash speakers yet but I have some cable management to do first. My front speakers are JBL GX642 and they sound amazing compared to factory speakers. I changed my head unit out (I had 2005 factory NAV) and it didn't work that great. I opted for a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X599 for Bluetooth and 3.5mm + USB connections on face. I have had Kenwood NAV systems in the past and would only use them moving forward. I really like this system as I can talk via Bluetooth on my cell (not moving) and everyone says I sound great. Installation was a breeze with the Crutchfield build sheet (free with purchase). All total I spent $317.00 with shipping and local sales tax minus $20 in best buy cash I used. I would do the exact same upgrade again. I was on a budget as well so I know where you are coming from. Crutchfield is not always the cheapest but getting input at 9pm at night when I was ready to order was really nice. They are super knowledgeable on their products and will help you pick what is within your budget. Hope this helps.

screwball48

Explorer
Even if you do not purchase from Crutchfield I find the information about my vehicle on there website to be priceless.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
Even if you do not purchase from Crutchfield I find the information about my vehicle on there website to be priceless.

Which is why I purchase from them. I hate going to a vendor, taking their time and information, then going somewhere else to save a few dollars. When you think about how much speakers cost vs other things on your rig and how nice good speakers are and how long they last, the savings of going somewhere else without the service isn't worth it to me.

One thing to note, a lot of stereo and speaker manufacturers will NOT honor a warranty if the product was not purchased at an authorized vendor.

bfr

Observer
I personally do not like aftermarket head units in a jeep based on looks and potential for theft. This is a problem as none of the stock stereos put in a TJ have enough power to handle even the most tame aftermarket speakers. I ended up installing a Sony xdpmu-110 (long since discontinued) which retains the stock head unit but can handle better speakers and integrates/ controls an iPhone. Obviously you would probably want to get a newer version, or one not tied to Apple, but the basic premise works well for me. In fact I bought a second one and installed the same thing in my truck over a year after the jeep install.

Here is the unit
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XDPMU110-Digital-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B005KOZNE4

The install is all but invisible.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I'm looking at now, based on several speaker reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0LZZ9U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NYACAJP9I1IY
719J4%2Bzt0WL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CYSQRSA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17Y7218I8U3RT
61uxDc0MvyL._SL1020_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94