Jeep Wrangler Equipment Rack

LUISJG

Explorer
that looks good but always been kind of nervouse having something to hit my forehead with, in a given event

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
To each their own on mounting electronics in a vehicle. I personally don't like it because things are spread out way too much and are (to me) distracting. If I have to take my eyes off the road for more than a second or two to effectively operate something, then it is in the wrong place, or I need to pull over. But like I said, to each their own. If it serves his needs, great.

But, I strongly urge anyone to NOT wire things the way it shows in that article. Cramming a wire underneath the blade of a fuse is wrong on so many levels. I would suggest tapping into the buss bar on the relay box, adding the appropriate fuses or circuit breakers, and not making your vehicle look like a 10 year old wired it. Just my opinion.....

njtaco

Explorer
I am hesitant to post, because I don't want to appear to degrade another person's site, or post. :smilies27 BUT I am with GT on this. I'm not familiar enough with the Wrangler to say anything on the shelf, but the wiring is a "How not to..." book. :campfire:

I also don't like storage that invites head trauma, but I'm not there to see how it all lays out.

On the up side, keep the ideas flowing...I do like that they took the time to install a CB and alluded to pre-wiring for future electronics. Both good ideas, in principle.

the wiring looks fine, other than the booty fab in the fuse box. i could actually see putting off-road related stuff on an overhead console, and have considered it myself--mainly switches and such, run overhead between the seats. at the slow speeds i find myself driving offroad, and particularly the speed i'm moving when i wish i had a locker or whatever, it doesnt really matter where the button sits. the 4wd button is already mounted low enough, and close enough to the vent/recirc button, that i have to take eyes off the road anyway to reach it. an overhead like pictured here would be an improvement over what i have right now.

personally, i like it, other than the power source wiring.

-sean

GetupandGO

Overhead shelf

I have done the same, going with an idea that was presented to me via Canyon City 4x4 back in the early 90's. Once I got my LWB, I wanted to get all of my electronics out of the way so I fabricated a shelf to go between the roll bars. but instead of creating a potential fire hazard like the article likes you to create, I simply routed a cigar socket extension under the dash and up the drivers side windshield frame that conneted to two three position socket adapters. This works pretty well as its fused and easily serviced if you have problems. I mounted my cb, xm radio reciever and scanner up there and have loved it ever since.

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
I have overhead switches in my Wrangler but used this product and found they works great.

Switch pods

500-205%206%20200%20x%2023.gif

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't have a full overhead console, but I have a radio mounted up high in the middle of the ceiling. I hit my head on it often enough that I think it's a real concern. My radio doesn't have any sharp corners and the mount itself isn't super rigid (it's solid, it's not going anywhere, just has some flex in it), so it's never hurt. But I do think it's something to think about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke