Jeep Wrangler sales remain strong

haven

Expedition Leader
I was wondering if Jeep Wrangler sales were falling off as we approach the introduction of the new JL model.

Looking at sales numbers for the first six months of 2015, 2016, and 2017, there's a slight decline each year of about 2%:

Jeep Wrangler sales in USA, six months Jan-June
2015 102,450
2016 100,355
2017 98,922

These are great numbers that any auto manufacturer would be pleased to have for a specialty vehicle, particularly considering that the JK is a 10 year old design.

Jeep plans to continue making the JK while the assembly process for the new JL ramps up. It will be interesting to see how sales of the JK change when the JL is sitting in dealer showrooms.

I would have to agree that sales are dropping off due to the JL/JT arrival. Plus one who would be interested in a slightly use JK wrangle will find a buyers market based on the current wrangler owners giving up on the Jk model and heading towards the new revision. I think it was best said by one of the JLWranglerforum members: "We'll not be the beta testers for this new version"

For us, timing was very crucial and although we special ordered our jeep and it arrived 16 days later (which wasn't expected) we had hoped that it would have taken a bit longer so that we could have gotten one of the last run wrangler closer to the close of the model year.

Our hopes was to acquire the new jeep truck. But after learning a few of the new options and product designs.. we opted to the last year JK. The new JT truck (2 door) looks cool, but it's too late to turn back for us.

Maxcustody

Explorer
I know after having jeeps for years, I am done with them............Sold my Rubicon last week for a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCLB.

Night and Day difference, don't know why I waited this long.

It will be interesting to see where Jeep goes.................

Enjoy your enthusiasm over the Taco.. we've sifted through all of them and ended up with the jeep because I'm finally able to sit upright and more forward with the Jeep's current seat design. This was very difficult with other truck or suv type vehicles. The worse seats was the Chevy Colorado. The jeep WAS our only alternative.

Maxcustody

Explorer
Enjoy your enthusiasm over the Taco.. we've sifted through all of them and ended up with the jeep because I'm finally able to sit upright and more forward with the Jeep's current seat design. This was very difficult with other truck or suv type vehicles. The worse seats was the Chevy Colorado. The jeep WAS our only alternative.
Yes the seating position in the Toyota is take it or leave it.....not much adjustment. Luckily it fits me well since I am only 5'9.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ratled

Adventurer
I was wondering if Jeep Wrangler sales were falling off as we approach the introduction of the new JL model.

Looking at sales numbers for the first six months of 2015, 2016, and 2017, there's a slight decline each year of about 2%:

Jeep Wrangler sales in USA, six months Jan-June
2015 102,450
2016 100,355
2017 98,922

These are great numbers that any auto manufacturer would be pleased to have for a specialty vehicle, particularly considering that the JK is a 10 year old design.

Jeep plans to continue making the JK while the assembly process for the new JL ramps up. It will be interesting to see how sales of the JK change when the JL is sitting in dealer showrooms.

Could be those that want a Jeep but don't want to be the guinea pig figure they can a JK now and in a few see if they want upgrade later

nastav

Adventurer
I know after having jeeps for years, I am done with them............Sold my Rubicon last week for a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCLB.

Night and Day difference, don't know why I waited this long.

It will be interesting to see where Jeep goes.................

Funny, after my last new Toyota (2011 tundra rock warrior) I said I'd be willing to give any other brand a try after the dismal build quality and endless recall and warranty claim experience with Toyota. This was after a lifetime of Toyota ownership.
I bought an AEV Jeep and I think it is the same build quality (most likely better) as a new Toyota, but without the cheap Toyota plastics inside.
Different strokes for different folks.
I found the Toyota Tacoma seating position the be the worst of any modern vehicle I drove when shopping.
I almost pulled the trigger on a leftover landcruiser, but the 5.7 in my tundra had so many issues, I couldn't do it.

I wonder what Toyota will do in the future?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
It looks like we might be in a bit of a "cool off" period across the board on new car/truck sales.
Pent up demand is somewhat satiated.
From what I've read, Jeep was looking to increase capacity to over 300K units per year, but that may have been more a "world demand", than just U.S. demand.
Resale values remain strong. :)

Resale value might remain strong because those who want the used wrangler aren't aware of what the previous owner has done to them or with them. This would be a turn off to us and it was. We considered several older jeeps because of the color weren't very desirable this year. But ending up with a brand new lat run 2017 with only those options we wanted, we didn't want to have to contend with or learning about what was done or how the used wrangler was abused.

We still like the 2 door truck.. but this current jeep (barring anything unseen) is suppose to be our last vehicle.

jzzr83

For us, timing was very crucial and although we special ordered our jeep and it arrived 16 days later (which wasn't expected) we had hoped that it would have taken a bit longer so that we could have gotten one of the last run wrangler closer to the close of the model year.

I also special ordered my '17 JKUR and it arrived in 3 weeks. Much faster than I expected! Drove it home on 6/2/17.

JKU

I am actively hunting a JKU recon. Just have to sell a we11 outfitted 08 rubicon with high mileage/ I have debated ( with my self) long and hard about the JL. Just wonder if it going to be great off roader that the JK is? Arrgh the mystery is killing me. AS far as the taco goes> The seating is abysmal and the price for what you get is crazy. The myth of Toyotas being superior to other vehicles is just that. I had a Toyota truck and went through 5 transmissions. In my supra every time I made a lock t lock turn if it was a perfectly Smooth road it would shear off bolt in the steering. The chevy Colorado is very nice but has a similar in my opinion seating issue but not nearly as bad the taco. While I would love a full-size if they would just equip them nicely say a tundra 1796 model (or what ever that is) with from and rear lockers or a silverado like that then they would really have my attention. So for now I am leaning towards the 17 JKU recon.. Just wish I knew about the 18 JL cost etc. options Any guesses as to where the price is going to fall for a nicely equipped JL Rubicon ? of course this is simply one lunatics ravings.YMMV.

I think depends on the guy who is selling the truck if he appears responsible and has taken care of it and documented it all that is one type of seller I wouldn't hesitate to buy from however a "kid" type guy ( no age disrespect intended ) who buys one then wheels the H out it and decides to sellout that another type who Wouldn't buy from . For the most part I think most Jeep guys rely on the jeeps and take pretty good care of them lifted and wheeled or not. Just my thoughts

So trail badger did you consider waiting for the 2018. Because I like your self am pretty sure this is the last new vehicle I will ever buy and I am looking at 2017 recon JKU but have been wavering little about he 2018.

I appreciate that you've asked me something directly @Jeep or Tacoma

The wife and my self did talked about the JT truck. But as you can see or have heard the last model year JK won out. Consider you options. the body style is going to be different. The new wrangler looks like an updated version of the TJ. Then include 3 engine types. A redesigned rear suspension on the truck, the spare is under the truck bed etc. One might get lucky and not have to deal with any issues that crop up while in the beta stage of the new JL/JT. But we're not willing to take that chance. We saved up too much money to get into our last run 2017. So there's no turning back.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a Detroit Free Press article that says Jeep total sales are down 13% for the first 6 months of 2017

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2017/07/23/jeep-sales-dip-new-vehicles/476488001/

Fleet sales of the old Compass and Patriot models have greatly declined as these models reach the end of production. The new Compass is just starting to reach dealers. Production of the Cherokee has moved to a new plant, depressing sales. Wrangler and Grand Cherokee continue to sell in good numbers.

Management says the sales decrease was anticipated. Jeep contributes about 75% of Fiat-Chrysler's net profit, so this can't be good news for FCA. Management anticipates a rebound in sales next Spring as the new Wrangler is introduced and the re-designed Compass is widely available. Big-seller Cherokee will get a refresh in 2018. Grand Cherokee will have to wait until 2020 before a new model is introduced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles