Jeep XJ Pop Top Camper Build

wjeeper

The chop is a big step indeed. I wouldn’t do it without a cage (or plan for one in the long term). Although, a properly structured 48x24 “access hole” wouldn’t concern me much if positioned toward the rear.

Let me know if V3 comes about!
Is that top a westfalia, or another brand/ roof to tent to modify?
I chopped a giant hole in the roof of my last rig installing a high top (4x4 van). I think it was like a 4 foot by 9 foot hole but that was all body-on-frame construction. I know it might ruffle a few feathers: I will be chopping most of the roof out, but not planning on doing a full blown cage..........more of a "halo" around the new opening with two kickers down to the trunk area. Combined with some sliders, and maybe some frame reinforcement it should compensate for the roof skin and the cross members that are getting chopped.

The top I ran across is actually off of a Cherokee believe it or not! Looks to be a tonneau cover that was modified to fit. I just gotta make the 1400 mile trip to pick it up. I am still debating if i am gonna have it open Westfalia style or make it open over the hood like a Flippac.

Recommended books for Overlanding

We Will Be Free: Overlanding In Africa and Around South A...
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20
Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide
by Tom Sheppard
From $100.75
Jupiters Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph
by Ted Simon
From $17.48
Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Sur...
by Dave Canterbury
From $9.99
4WD Driving Skills: A Manual for On- and Off-Road Travel
by Vic Widman
From $17.27

jakegrovephoto

Took Saturday off and checked out another camper rig at a downtown meet. @sasquatch.the.nomad on Instagram. Full aluminum Comanche camper. Build is solid!

Funny thing was the meet consisted of ~40 Toyota’s and only the two lone jeeps. Hah!

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader

Took Saturday off and checked out another camper rig at a downtown meet. @sasquatch.the.nomad on Instagram. Full aluminum Comanche camper. Build is solid!

Funny thing was the meet consisted of ~40 Toyota’s and only the two lone jeeps. Hah!
Does he have a build somewhere other than socialmedia? I don’t do FB/Tw/IG/etc... looks like a killer rig.

jakegrovephoto

Does he have a build somewhere other than socialmedia? I don’t do FB/Tw/IG/etc... looks like a killer rig.
As far as I know just Instagram at the moment. You can still search his user on google and it’ll show you a good few pics taken from ig.

Comanche with a 97+ 4wd drivetrain, interior swap. Full aluminum camper. 35’s on methods and IIRC ford 9” rear, D44 front.

jakegrovephoto

I google the Comanche, couldn’t find a build. Did find a few pics to check out, I’d like to see more. I’m curious about those tow mirrors, maybe GM?

I want to say I saw a comment before saying they were general GM ones from online.

jakegrovephoto

You planning on pulling more than one top off of your mold? More than 2 Jeepagons?

PS shot you a PM
The mold does make production/manufacturing a solid possibility.

For now I’ll likely crunch out the first one, finish my full conversion and put it to the test for the next couple years. If the demand is there and the timing is right as I finish up school, I’d consider making it a complete product offering.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Jupiters Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph
by Ted Simon
From $17.48
The Longest Line on the Map: The United States, the Pan-A...
by Eric Rutkow
From $13.39
Crossing the Congo: Over Land and Water in a Hard Place
by Mike Martin, Chloe Baker, Charlie Hatch-Barnwell
From $29.95
Adventure Motorcycling Handbook: A Route & Planning Guide
by Chris Scott
From $45.45
Tortillas to Totems (Every day an Adventure Book 4)
by Sam Manicom
From $9.99