Jeep XJ Pop Top Camper Build

fc7b8b95873945891bffd098ce4fef65.jpg

Primer time

Last edited:

wjeeper

The chop is a big step indeed. I wouldn’t do it without a cage (or plan for one in the long term). Although, a properly structured 48x24 “access hole” wouldn’t concern me much if positioned toward the rear.

Let me know if V3 comes about!
Is that top a westfalia, or another brand/ roof to tent to modify?

I chopped a giant hole in the roof of my last rig installing a high top (4x4 van). I think it was like a 4 foot by 9 foot hole but that was all body-on-frame construction. I know it might ruffle a few feathers: I will be chopping most of the roof out, but not planning on doing a full blown cage..........more of a "halo" around the new opening with two kickers down to the trunk area. Combined with some sliders, and maybe some frame reinforcement it should compensate for the roof skin and the cross members that are getting chopped.

The top I ran across is actually off of a Cherokee believe it or not! Looks to be a tonneau cover that was modified to fit. I just gotta make the 1400 mile trip to pick it up. I am still debating if i am gonna have it open Westfalia style or make it open over the hood like a Flippac.

13d3188cd2d484f3015aae6e38f4474e.jpg

Took Saturday off and checked out another camper rig at a downtown meet. @sasquatch.the.nomad on Instagram. Full aluminum Comanche camper. Build is solid!

Funny thing was the meet consisted of ~40 Toyota’s and only the two lone jeeps. Hah!

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
13d3188cd2d484f3015aae6e38f4474e.jpg

Took Saturday off and checked out another camper rig at a downtown meet. @sasquatch.the.nomad on Instagram. Full aluminum Comanche camper. Build is solid!

Funny thing was the meet consisted of ~40 Toyota’s and only the two lone jeeps. Hah!

Does he have a build somewhere other than socialmedia? I don’t do FB/Tw/IG/etc... looks like a killer rig.

Does he have a build somewhere other than socialmedia? I don’t do FB/Tw/IG/etc... looks like a killer rig.

As far as I know just Instagram at the moment. You can still search his user on google and it’ll show you a good few pics taken from ig.

Comanche with a 97+ 4wd drivetrain, interior swap. Full aluminum camper. 35’s on methods and IIRC ford 9” rear, D44 front.

You planning on pulling more than one top off of your mold? More than 2 Jeepagons?

PS shot you a PM

The mold does make production/manufacturing a solid possibility.

For now I’ll likely crunch out the first one, finish my full conversion and put it to the test for the next couple years. If the demand is there and the timing is right as I finish up school, I’d consider making it a complete product offering.

Follow (Instagram) --> @craftsmancollaborative
Subscribe (Youtube) --> @craftsmancollaborative

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles