Jeepjunky's T3-C build

jeepjunky

Observer
Two years ago I found this little trailer loaded with lawn trash. I asked if I could buy it. I was told no. The other day I stopped by and the house had a sold sign on it...the trailer was still setting in the same spot with the same trash in it. I asked again. This time I was told the trailer was going to a demo derby...So I begged and bought the trailer...for $200.00

Attachments

• 20150126_122840.jpg
    20150126_122840.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 83

jeepjunky

Observer
Today I finally got to work on the T3. From what I've seen on the site people build these in phases. So I will too.
Phase 1: clean...Done, Evaluate...Done, determine the build direction...???
Phase 2: wire lights..., patch rust..., Pack wheel bearings...Done, Tires
Phase 3: sand and paint..., enjoy it!!!
Phase 4: modify!!!
I went to pack the bearings and found them full of fresh grease...SCORE ME!, Rust is very minimal. I unfortunately found a way to bend the tailgate:(
Here are some pics after it was cleaned up. My next post will be full of questions...Any input would be awesome!

Attachments

• 20150128_100040_resized.jpg
    20150128_100040_resized.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20150128_100055_resized.jpg
    20150128_100055_resized.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20150128_100114_resized.jpg
    20150128_100114_resized.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20150128_100146_resized.jpg
    20150128_100146_resized.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20150128_100159_resized.jpg
    20150128_100159_resized.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20150128_100213_resized.jpg
    20150128_100213_resized.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 70

jeepjunky

Observer
My Plans are a little different by this sites norms. I love the roof top tents that are used by many of you, but that is out of my finances and needs. Since I'm the only one who camps in my family, I just need to sleep me. So I'm thinking about making a canvas tent that encloses the box, with the tailgate open, and I sleep inside the trailer? I also will be using the trailer for chores around the house. I also will pull it behind my 47 CJ in the river, but when doing that it will have the kids and cooler inside it.
My questions are,
1. How much body work do you normally do on these trailers? I know that if I take it OD green (matching the 47), it will hide much of the imperfections, But if I take it dark blue, to match the DD, I'm not sure how much body work is the norm. I'm looking for a 50' finish, you know, looks great from 50'
2. Will I go to trailer hell for cutting off the rear wings and replacing the round fenders with squared off ones...basically making a M416 clone?
3. For my "soft top" camper cover, the inside of the trailer is 6ft, I'm 6ft, So I need to have the tailgate down for me to fit inside, any suggestions how to enclose that part for camping?
Thanks that should do it for now

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
My Plans are a little different by this sites norms. I love the roof top tents that are used by many of you, but that is out of my finances and needs. Since I'm the only one who camps in my family, I just need to sleep me. So I'm thinking about making a canvas tent that encloses the box, with the tailgate open, and I sleep inside the trailer? I also will be using the trailer for chores around the house. I also will pull it behind my 47 CJ in the river, but when doing that it will have the kids and cooler inside it.
My questions are,
1. How much body work do you normally do on these trailers? I know that if I take it OD green (matching the 47), it will hide much of the imperfections, But if I take it dark blue, to match the DD, I'm not sure how much body work is the norm. I'm looking for a 50' finish, you know, looks great from 50'
2. Will I go to trailer hell for cutting off the rear wings and replacing the round fenders with squared off ones...basically making a M416 clone?
3. For my "soft top" camper cover, the inside of the trailer is 6ft, I'm 6ft, So I need to have the tailgate down for me to fit inside, any suggestions how to enclose that part for camping?
Thanks that should do it for now

My Bantam is rattle canned black and it looks great from a distance... Up close... It needs quite a bit of help

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . I'm thinking about making a canvas tent that encloses the box, with the tailgate open, and I sleep inside the trailer?

Here is mine, with a custom Can-Back top (made for me my Can-Back's original owner before the company was sold and relocated to Arizona):

650x488xHPIM0129.JPG.pagespeed.ic.72Jn7vPSs0.jpg

HPIM0128.JPG

HPIM0140.JPG

Here is a shot of a trailer owned by one of the members of the Chuckawalla Jeep Club during the 1960s. Several members of the club had trailers set up like this. I remember these from when I was a kid. These photos were taken sometime in the early 1990s. I saw another one the the club trailers at the California 4WD Club Assoc. convention in the late 1990s, still in perfect condition, but have no idea what happened to it after that.

chuckwalla1.jpg

1. How much body work do you normally do on these trailers? I'm not sure how much body work is the norm.

Some just patch the rust holes and get the sides as straight as they can without spending a fortune. Some over restore. It depends upon personal taste and bank account. Bear in mind that these trailers weren't perfect even when new.

Here is an M100 that is probably the most perfect example I have ever seen, but the military equipment restorers/preservationists look down on it as over restored:

Parade_M100_10.jpg

Parade_M100_2.jpg

Parade_M100_5.jpg

Yes, you will go to bubba trailer hell. ;)

I know at least one member here cut off the wings and changed to the squared off fenders, so it can be done. The question is should you? The purpose of the wings is to keep the tub from flexing/twisting due to the tailgate. They are unnecessary on the military trailers without tailgates. Also, Bantam civilian trailers are becoming quite rare and it would be a shame to chop one up. Better to look for a decent military M100 or M416.

A good canvas shop should be able to make something, or you could try something like this:

DSC_0029.jpg

Sportz Truck Tents:
http://www.sportzbynapier.com/userfiles/1415649872_2015_Catalog_-_Napier_Outdoors.pdf
Look at Model 57044 for compact sport trucks with 72" bed

jeepjunky

Observer
Well I got some work done today. Removed the tire and fender on the passenger side, fixed the rust, sanded it and primered it with self etching primer. I had some left over Duoplicolor that matched my jeep so I decided to give it a try. The picture isn't that good, but the color is spot on. The trailer looks good at about 10' but any closer you can see the flaws.
I am having issues with the tailgate, mainly do I remove the wings and weld the back closed, or keep the functional tailgate. I'm not sure I'm in love with the "wings" on the back of the trailer. I also noticed that the bearing was a little loose, so I guess I get to fix that. All-in-all I cant complain:coffeedrink:...

Attachments

• 20150129_123637_resized.jpg
    20150129_123637_resized.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 59

jeepjunky

Observer
Thanks Robert bills for the pics. Im probably gonna keep the "wings." I do like the looks of the tent in the back of the pickup. I built a platform for the top of my first expedition trailer. I might go that route again? I am getting a lot of great ideas from the forum...Thanks!

jeepjunky

Observer
Got to work on the trailer today. Left handed threads?!? REALLY? Once I figured this out it, taking the tire off went pretty quick. Sold a old trailer today and recouped most of the purchase price of the T3. So I can say I paid $75. for the little guy.

Got to work on the trailer today. Left handed threads?!? REALLY? Once I figured this out it, taking the tire off went pretty quick. Sold a old trailer today and recouped most of the purchase price of the T3. So I can say I paid $75. for the little guy.
I replaced mine right away with standard wheel studs. I originally painted mine OD but it still looked rough closer then 10 feet. I found Dupli-color truck bed coating sprays on with a slight texture. After I repainted the OD it looked significantly better then before. Nice start you have going.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Here is mine, with a custom Can-Back top (made for me my Can-Back's original owner before the company was sold and relocated to Arizona):

Here is a shot of a trailer owned by one of the members of the Chuckawalla Jeep Club during the 1960s. Several members of the club had trailers set up like this. I remember these from when I was a kid. These photos were taken sometime in the early 1990s. I saw another one the the club trailers at the California 4WD Club Assoc. convention in the late 1990s, still in perfect condition, but have no idea what happened to it after that.

chuckwalla1.jpg

The Sareea Al Jamal (Fast Camels Indio Jeep Club) the Chucks & the Hemet Jeep Club had many members who built similar rigs in the 60's (I believe Riverside Tent & Awning did many of them) The Indio Club's thing was to not have the same camp for more than a night or two (that changed as many passed or got RVs). They use to jeep down into Baja then take the ferry to the mainland & jeep back up to the states. I've always wanted to build one, but I'm too long... I wish I could have bought one or two of them, those guys were my mentors...

Robert your's is quite the accomplishment... VERY NICE !!

Good Luck with your build Junky...

Robert Bills

Explorer
The Sareea Al Jamal (Fast Camels Indio Jeep Club) the Chucks & the Hemet Jeep Club had many members who built similar rigs in the 60's (I believe Riverside Tent & Awning did many of them). . . . They use to jeep down into Baja then take the ferry to the mainland & jeep back up to the states. . . . . [T]hose guys were my mentors...

Robert your's is quite the accomplishment... VERY NICE !!

Warning: Threadjack.

Thanks for expanding on the history of Bantam trailers with the SoCal jeep clubs. I remember the Chuckawalla Jeep Club trailers from when I was a kid. I had forgotten about the Indio and Hemet Jeep Clubs using trailers modified this same way, although I do remember the first time I saw a Bantam trailer behind a jeep. It was in the spring of 1961 on my first Hemet Jeep Cavalcade through Anza and Coyote Canyon past Borrego Springs on the Truckhaven Trail to the camp on the pole line road east of Ocotillo Wells. I was 11, and it was that trip that forever hooked me on offroading.

My trailer was purchased by my father in 1965 from the original owner, who was a member of the Drifters Jeep Club in Pomona, CA. The way the Drifters liked to modify their Bantam trailers was to build fiberglassed plywood boxes that fit on top of the tub to secure the gear inside, which could be removed in camp and used as a table with 1" galvanized pipe as table legs. My father gave me the trailer in 1999. The box lasted until about 2002. I replaced it with the the Can-Back top there now - which was inspired by the Chuckawallas from "back in the day."

Its funny that you would mention jeeping to the tip of Baja then taking the ferry to the mainland and back to the states - that is exactly what my family did with our Bantam trailer (in the company of 4 other families from the small town in SoCal where I was raised) in the spring of 1966. Sounds like we had some of the same mentors.

End threadjack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles