Jerry cans - New Law

TeriAnn

Explorer
I assume that everyone knows that there is a new US federal regulation going into effect at the end of 2008 regarding new fuel cans sold in the United States.

All fuel cans sold new within the United States must have child proof openings.

NATO style jerry cans and jeep cans do not comply as being child proof.

What this means is that companies who sell these cans in the US will be in violation of the regulation and subject to penalties and that these cans will disappear from the US market.

If you don't have a life time supply of jerry cans it would be a good idea to stock up soon

Get NATO jerry cans before it is too late

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Child proof...Show me a kid that can open a Wedco. I fear the Government that fears my fuel cans.

TeriAnn

Explorer
MoGas said:
Child proof...Show me a kid that can open a Wedco.

Yeh, I don't get it either. My cans always take a lot of effort to open and I just don't think anyone under 10, maybe 14 can open one without tools. I personally think it is a very stupid regulation, but I'm also grabbing a couple more cans than I think I will ever need. A few years from now a gently used NATO style jerry can might be worth a chunk of change.

tomak

Great, why does this always happen when I'm short a buck fifty? I guess I should be grateful for the ones I have.

By the way, does anybody have a link to Wedco directly? I thought they had a website at some point but all I can google right now are dealers. Thanks.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I love the new "ventless" cans that are designed with a siphon to try and capture the fuel vapors into the can. I think it's a CARB thing, to help with smog.

But, all the systems suck. I've never spilled so much fuel in my life. Totally defeats the purpose!

tomak

Thanks for the link. Too bad the manufacturer states that they're only child resistant.

R_Lefebvre said:
I love the new "ventless" cans that are designed with a siphon to try and capture the fuel vapors into the can. I think it's a CARB thing, to help with smog.

But, all the systems suck. I've never spilled so much fuel in my life. Totally defeats the purpose!
While I agree with you, I think this isn't the first time that my idea of "purpose" must be wildly different from the one of the fine individuals in the legislative branch.

James86004

Expedition Leader
More Moore:

For Immediate Release: Thursday, July 17, 2008
President Signs Into Law Moore Bill to Protect America's Children
Moore and McCaskill praise passage of new law requiring child resistant closures on all gasoline containers

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – The Children’s Gasoline Burn Prevention Act, authored by Congressman Dennis Moore (Third District -- Kansas) and Senator Claire McCaskill (Missouri), was signed into law on Thursday after receiving unanimous support in Congress. The bill requires that all portable gasoline containers be made with child resistant closures, whether sold empty or full; an effort that would help protect children from accidents involving gasoline containers at home.

Moore and McCaskill championed this legislation after hearing too many tragic stories of preventable injuries, such as the two Leavenworth children who opened and spilled the contents of a gas can, causing the gasoline vapors to be ignited by a hot water heater. One of the children, a four-year-old boy, lost his life and his three-year-old brother was permanently scarred.

“I am proud that our colleagues joined us in unanimously approving this common-sense bill. We can’t protect our children from every scratch or bruise, but we can certainly take steps to protect them from one of the most dangerous substances in any home - gasoline,” Moore said. “For pennies per gas can, we can help save thousands of children from severe burn injuries or death and put parents’ minds at ease.”

According to an American Academy of Pediatrics study of children’s burns related to gasoline storage, “no injury is potentially more disfiguring, disruptive to a child’s life, and more painful to endure than burn injuries.” The medical study authors, who reviewed burn victim cases at Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri, recommend national safety standards for gasoline canisters.

The new law requires manufacturers to conform to an international standard for child resistant caps and will apply to all gasoline containers manufactured six months after enactment. The Consumer Product Safety Commission will also be required to report to Congress within two years of enactment on industry compliance, enforcement actions taken by the agency and incidents of injuries related to portable gas containers.

“Every parent wants one thing: to keep their kids safe. For decades we’ve had laws to protect kids from dangerous materials, but gas containers have escaped these rules through a loophole, and as a result, thousands of kids have suffered,” said Sen. McCaskill. "This bill finally closes that loophole, giving parents one less thing they will have to worry about.”

Attorney Diane Breneman, who has represented approximately 15 children who have suffered catastrophic burn injuries because gas cans lacked child resistant closures, echoed Moore and McCaskill’s comments: “For all of us who have campaigned for so long and hard to see this change, it comes with a mixture of emotions: we are thrilled that change has finally come, but saddened that it has come too late for so many who have needlessly suffered. We are particularly grateful to Representative Moore who listened when no one else would and has been committed to this cause for the last 8 years. We wouldn’t have achieved this important milestone without his tireless support."
--30--

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I was taught about matches by being allowed to strike as many as I wanted, so long as I did it standing over the kitchen sink.
I see this as a Nanny Law that training and forethought could have prevented.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I'm sorry that children got hurt or died. But It's the adult's fault that placed the fuel container A) where a child could get to it, and, B) in an area with an ignition source. So just like many other things that responsible people enjoy(ed), the great Jerry can will go the way of the Dodo bird.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Dave

michaelgroves

Explorer
Shhh.. let the State think for you and take responsibility for your actions... you know it's safer that way.

Two phrases that politicians love over here in the UK:

"You can't put a price on human life".
"It's for the safety of children".

Anyone who puts up any kind of counter argument immediately looks like an uncaring amd selfish capitalist pig.

shawkins

Adventurer
My question is: What child is playing with gas cans?

Any child that is old enough to be able to open a fuel can should also be old enough to know you don't play with flamable liquids.

TheRoadie

Explorer
I underestimated kids also until I read this:

http://www.newsnet5.com/consumer/9152656/detail.html

Lau put it to the test. She filled gas cans with green tinted water and tightened the caps. She sent in 3-year-old Kendall and his brother, 1-year-old Carter into the garage to play.

Inside the house father, Deshaun watched via hidden cameras.

"There he goes," Deshaun said.

In just 30 seconds, Kendall picked up the can and tried to pour it out. Seconds later, he opened the cap and spilled the liquid everywhere.

The 1-year-old got the liquid all over his tricycle and spread it around the garage.

"Just like that he gets it, opens it up. With the ease that he was able to do it was pretty alarming. Oh my goodness," Deshaun said.

Of course, a 3 year old shouldn't be allowed free roaming in the garage, and the gas cans should have been stored as inaccessably as bleach or drain cleaner or plant food - but they can sneak away from parents at times. And the government is here to help. (right...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94