Jet-Boil

7wt

Expedition Leader
I was looking pretty hard at one until I saw two floor models at different stores broken. The metal base ring at the bottom came undone at the tack welds. Then I started thinking that they are really just for boiling water and decided I might want some sauted shrimp or fish not just dehydrated food. So I went with a wisperlite.

Last edited:

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
Fast and compact and so far (for me) robust. Not great for gourmet cooking, but as an Englishman who likes his tea, nothing beats them for a quick brew-up!

Cheers,
Nick.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
nickt said:
Fast and compact and so far (for me) robust. Not great for gourmet cooking, but as an Englishman who likes his tea, nothing beats them for a quick brew-up!

Cheers,
Nick.

So will you actually stop everything in the middle of the afternoon to brew up some tea?! What a cool tradition to give the day a break and a moment of reflection.

salsataco

Adventurer
I use mine all winter for a quick warm up. Ill use it to boil up water for hot cocoa, ramen, etc... I even have had a passenger fire it up while stuck in snow storm traffic so we could get somethign warm in us. I leave it in the truck almost always with some hot cocoa.

beemerchef

Explorer
I Really... did I say... really like that KellyKettle!!!... will probably get one... for my afternoon... sorry... coffee!!!...

88368062-S.jpg

On normal days I use the MSR Dragon Fly... multifuel if needed... roars... quick and efficient...

90547148-S.jpg

Have had it quite a few years... actually the jet might need to be cleaned just about now... kit is supllied with it...

Be well... Ara

Robthebrit

Explorer
mcvickoffroad said:
So will you actually stop everything in the middle of the afternoon to brew up some tea?! What a cool tradition to give the day a break and a moment of reflection.

You Bet! Don't get in the way of an Englishman and his tea (or his beer!).

Volcano kettles are good for boiling tea water.

Rob

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I use a jet-boil for both morning coffee, and for boiling water for freeze dried meals when I am backpacking. It is quick, user friendly, and simply easier than getting out the MSR, priming it...trying not to overflow the primer cup while shivering from the cold, boiling water, pouring 1/2 of it on the ground while transferring it to a cheezy plastic cup....

It is certainly not the end-all be-all of camping supplies...but it serves a definate purpose, and in my experience, serves it well.

DesertDude on the other hand isn't a huge fan, as he has worn a couple of them out. Of course, his would last longer if he didn't go camping every friggin day!:sombrero:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
DesertDude on the other hand isn't a huge fan, as he has worn a couple of them out. Of course, his would last longer if he didn't go camping every friggin day!

this is true :iagree: - I have just used the unit everyday for a year - the second one is still working but won't always light by peizo - still nothing beats it for fast boiling - I am a total tea drinker and somtimes light the jet boil three times a day - so maybe I am a power user :victory:

please don't let my review sway you away from getting one - it is a great unit - I am just a brute on gear :yikes:

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I really like my Jet Boil and it's small enough to include in my SAR pack on extended training field exercises or on missions.

gjackson

FRGS
I've thought this might be the ideal for a spot of tea. http://www.kellykettle.com/

Too funny! Nick and I had a conversation re jetboil and kelly kettle for tea at the Land Rover rally. I use a kelly, but have never used a jet. Nick says the jet has spoiled him!

And yeah, never get between a Brit and his tea . . . or his beer. . .or his Land Rover!!

:coffee:

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz