JK Acceleration issues/loss of power

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I have a 203 JK unlimited and have recently run into an issue that I am trying not to take it to as dealer for. I have had a few times either accelerating to go up hill or accelerate on flat roads where I suddenly lose power and the check engine light comes on. I can push the pedal to the floor but nothing happens. If I just coast for a about 30 seconds or pull over and stop, it resumes normal acceleration. I don't have an OBD reader so I am not sure what the code for this is, but usually it will clear out after a couple of restarts, but showing no more acceleration/power loss. Any ideas what could be causing this before I bit the dealership bullet? I only have 35,000 miles on it and have not touched the electrical system (yet).

wADVr

Adventurer
Most auto part stores have code readers that will read the stored code for free. I don't have experience with your specific issue but the code will help you research a potential fix.

Weeds

Adventurer
I had the same problem. I had purchased fuel at the Costco in Chico, CA when visiting my mom. The jeep quit running in Oroville again in Truckee. I kept adding new fuel and drove from Reno to home in Leavenworth without a problem.

I had a similar problem again when I bought fuel at the Costco in Wenatchee, WA. I know longer buy fuel for the jeep at Costco.

I cleared my codes with a Superchips tuner I have for my jeep.

I would try a name brand fuel before spending any money at the shop.

Good Luck.

Alphonse

Observer
I had the same problem. I had purchased fuel at the Costco in Chico, CA when visiting my mom. The jeep quit running in Oroville again in Truckee. I kept adding new fuel and drove from Reno to home in Leavenworth without a problem.

I had a similar problem again when I bought fuel at the Costco in Wenatchee, WA. I know longer buy fuel for the jeep at Costco.

I cleared my codes with a Superchips tuner I have for my jeep.

I would try a name brand fuel before spending any money at the shop.

Good Luck.

I'm not surprised to read this. I've had pinging issues on Costco gas before and my rig doesn't ping on same octane name brand gas. I don't buy Costco gas anymore.

Curly

Adventurer
You aren't going to know for sure until you read the code, but it sounds like a problem with the tps sensors. I believe your jeep is drive by wire, so no accelerator linkage or cable to the throttle body. Throttle control is done electronically and if the sensor under the dash doesn't agree with the one under the hood, the pcm will not allow acceleration.

Curly

Coilrod

Pretty much the same as jacobconroy said.
Starting with the ignition key in the off position, cycle the key through 'Acc' to 'On' and back off (quickly - before dash lights display and 'ding' is heard) three times. Off-On-Off-On-Off-On. All stored codes will read out in the odometer display.
Won't display stored codes, but will show you active ones.

Happykamper

Explorer
Take it to the dealer ! It's not safe for you or others on the road . Stop operating an unsafe vehicle and take it to someone who can fix it. It could be gas ...it could be any number of things. But from your description it is just not safe to be on the road with the vehicle.

Hoghead

Observer
Not under warranty? Probably past 36 months. Might be worth a trip to the dealer. Don't get me wrong I understand not wanting to go, but in this case it might work out for you. At least call and make sure it's not under warranty, unless you know for sure that it's not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz