JKU suspension upgrade needed - Opinions Welcome

Kingfish

Good point, I should have provided some context. I don't have plans to tackle the Rubicon or go "rock crawling". Mojave Road, Alabama Hills, Death Valley and the like. My Jeep is just about bottomed out on the stock suspension with all the aftermarket bumpers & accessories. The last run on the Mojave Road, it was hitting the bump stops a lot. It's time for an upgrade. I'd hate to spend the money to regear the stock axle if it wouldn't be up to the task.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Good point, I should have provided some context. I don't have plans to tackle the Rubicon or go "rock crawling". Mojave Road, Alabama Hills, Death Valley and the like. My Jeep is just about bottomed out on the stock suspension with all the aftermarket bumpers & accessories. The last run on the Mojave Road, it was hitting the bump stops a lot. It's time for an upgrade. I'd hate to spend the money to regear the stock axle if it wouldn't be up to the task.

I do the same kind of Jeeping that you do, Death Valley, Mojave, etc. Although I have done a bit of rock crawling, run the Rubicon, etc. We ended up with OME heavy springs front and rear. Because of the high mounted rooftop tent I am running some really stiff gas shocks to eliminate sway rebound on the highway, which I found would activate the ESC controls on certain road conditions. I can't say enough good things about the OME springs. When we got them Teraflex's overland springs weren't available yet and the OME's were pretty much your only choice.

moto-treks

On the road
I'm upgrading my AEV 2.5 to the AEV 3.5 (maybe 4.5) due to the weight of my 2013 JKUR. I weighed my JKU last weekend when heading out to Death Valley and it was 6740 lbs fully loaded. Like others I have a RTT, Frig, AT stage I and II drawers, winch, 10 gal. gas and water, etc. I just switched to 35" tires from the stock 33". In talking to AEV they are suggesting I go with the High Capacity springs but the installer I'm working with says that will create a ride like a 3/4 ton truck (he has two JKUs one with standard AEV springs and the other with HC springs). AEV told me that while the 2.5" lift is good it's not near as complete a system as their 3.5 or 4.5 lift for the weight I'm carrying around. Once you move to the 3.5" lift upgrading to the HC springs is just swapping out the springs and bump stops.

Last edited:

MattJ

Adventurer
Thread: Is my Jeep too heavy?

Quote from Chris Holt at AEV in that thread:

"Just a heads up, with SEMA behind us, we displayed a new DualSport HC Suspension System that will be coming out in a couple months. This will include higher capacity springs built and tuned specifically with the overland community in mind. We don't have exact numbers to share just yet but these springs will definitely aid the people that run around 100% of the time fully loaded.

With that we also have a Bilstein 8100 shock coming out. It is a fully adjustable dual external bypass (rebound and compression adjustments), remote reservoir shock with AEV tuning and a larger diameter housing to utilize a 60mm piston. Just something to keep in mind."

moto-treks

On the road
Thread: Is my Jeep too heavy?

Quote from Chris Holt at AEV in that thread:

"Just a heads up, with SEMA behind us, we displayed a new DualSport HC Suspension System that will be coming out in a couple months. This will include higher capacity springs built and tuned specifically with the overland community in mind. We don't have exact numbers to share just yet but these springs will definitely aid the people that run around 100% of the time fully loaded.

With that we also have a Bilstein 8100 shock coming out. It is a fully adjustable dual external bypass (rebound and compression adjustments), remote reservoir shock with AEV tuning and a larger diameter housing to utilize a 60mm piston. Just something to keep in mind."

Chris is who I was talking to at AEV. He is full of all kinds of good info.

What about upgrading your brakes?

I've thought of that but currently the brakes seem to still be doing their job. Obviously, a bit slower than before I added all the weight ;-) When the front pads give out I may look at a different set of rotors/pads

denton57

Great thread, don't know how I missed it. I have a AEV 2.5, Gobi Roof Rack w/tent, fridge and everything else. When fully loaded, the rear suspension sags and hits the bump stops. I'm looking at airbags but for those with AEV2.5 that switched to OME, is it a simple swap just the springs or do you need to replace other components? Did you do front and rear or just the rear?
You can do just the springs. I went OME Heavies all around and love the ride.

Great thread and perfect timing or me right now. I have the AEV DS 2.5”, and have added (and will add) a lot of weight and was thinking about coil or a new lift. Right now I have ARB bumpers front and rear, Warn 9000i winch, steel skids, TeraFlex tire carrier, and 315’s. I have a Gobi stealth on order and a Tepui Autana arriving next week.

Right now, I have nose down situation and would like to be level. Just to confirm, I can just swap in the OME coils with the rest of the AEV lift? Is it the 2” in the front and 2.5” rear? Those are the options I see on Quadratec. Just want to make sure I get the right part numbers.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rkcreative

I'm in the same situation with a pretty identical set up. Did you ever go with the OME springs? What lift did you end up with?

I picked up a set Teraflex 3.3s and I'm deciding between OME HD springs and Terafelx Outback springs.

moto-treks

On the road
I thought I'd provide an update for those looking into the AEV options. I did upgrade my AEV 2.5 lift to the 3.5 RS. This upgrade alone made a huge difference in the way the JKU handled. So good that if I was starting from scratch I'd skip the 2.5 lift. Both on and offroad handling was improved even then the JKU was loaded or unloaded. While loaded I found that even with the 3.5" I was occasionally hitting the rear bump stops as well as having a lot swaying from the weight of the RTT - much better than the 2.5" but still there, so I put on the AEV HC coils. This makes the lift a 4.5" and made another huge difference in handling. I no longer hit the rear bump stops and the swaying has basically disappeared. Again, both off road and on road (driving around town) was improved. My JKU stays loaded 100% of the time now so I'm not worried about the HC coils being a bit harsh in an unloaded configuration.

Paid a visit to Chris @ rocktechoffroad and he recommended that AEV 3.5 and 35" tires, he suppose to send me a quote, he didn't mentioned HC springs, but if he does not hurry I'll order from a vendor and install it myself in my driveway, I got all the tools, and will farm the alignment.

jadmt

ignore button user
Paid a visit to Chris @ rocktechoffroad and he recommended that AEV 3.5 and 35" tires, he suppose to send me a quote, he didn't mentioned HC springs, but if he does not hurry I'll order from a vendor and install it myself in my driveway, I got all the tools, and will farm the alignment.
install it yourself. I have installed several AEV 2.5's and a 3.5 and not difficult at all. no way would I pay to have one installed. I am a 60 old beat down drunk and I even made a video lol.

moto-treks

On the road

It’s not that hard to install the AEV lifts. I did my 2.5” but used Chris for the 3.5” install as I don’t have a garage or driveway anymore. Chris does excellence work and do not hesitate at all to have him work on my JKU. If you can do the work yourself then I’d do the install and have Chris do a regear when you are ready for that.

rubicon91

Explorer
I just changed out my AEV 2.5 to the 4.5 with the High Capacity Coils and the remote shocks. Night and day difference. I cannot believe I waited as long as I did. I am heavy granted I have never weighted it. Plan to coming up. I also a while back added the Dynatrac Pro Grip brake kit. Makes a big difference in braking now as well. I was a tad concerned about having 35s with the lift. I do not mind the stance at all now that I have done it. Here is this past weekend getting a quick getaway camping.

Attachments

• 71556938_10218109422240913_7507136142261616640_o.jpg
    71556938_10218109422240913_7507136142261616640_o.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 34

MattJ

Adventurer
Nice! I installed a brake controller and am towing an Off-Grid Expedition 2.0 with mine. The rear suspension really handles the tongue weight very well.

y4mVSDj51wUIQRCglD6XJTjg3OKTwplFH_En7MYxdcJrNP5yVcnS_VXxswSixEGCWgOT9zTwbOC9VsJ-rT_N7g-4mxG1EG4evS1pEUciOOhIGWc31Ka2GhLXEGTc7XBFX_VDRLuG6dQcXYZm0niLyiDjnu1aXmw9OYrIppRcWhPX78rmEe4LPq8c_UATWMR4v-TOjfpA9xzrx7j_N5HeUagtw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles