JLU worth car payments?

jktowhere

Observer
So I am torn. I sold my 2015 Sahara some time ago to sell before the JLU came out for resale value. After I finally learned the prices sticker shock set in. Well time has passed and it’s time to get in a wrangler again. But I’m torn. Do I go 2015-18 jku or jlu? Jku no car payment. Jlu rubicon looking at maybe a 20k loan which is within budget.

My goal. 37’s. Overland style, but not afraid to use it. Did Kane Creek trail in the 2015 and had a blast. Red Cone other trails etc etc. all fun. But we are more dispersed camp / hike style. We go into the woods to get away from people for us and our dogs to roam. So hardcore rock crawling no. Those days are gone. But I know from my many years of jeeps 37 is my end game. Also to note is we plan to get a casita trailer at some point and it would be nice to to with the Jeep.

Where I get stuck on is the fact we are starting to plan for a family next year. Jku = cheaper, but axel swap dependent if I went sport or rubicon. Regardless some work to be done for 37’s. Jlu = better safety equipment and build, rear Ac, no axel swap. Easier child seat placement from what I read.

If you were to start a family, what makes the most sense at this point? I go back and forth constantly. The Jeep will be a third vehicle / toy / camp rig. Is the jlu worth the car payments which I despise?

Thank you everyone. We want to explore and have fun, but make smart choices.

jktowhere

Observer
37s seem to make sense if you’re rock crawling a lot. But why if you’re a dispersed camping and hike kind of guy?

Some of the the places we go to in CO and Utah etc I have hit with 35’s. Just want that extra clearance as we enjoy trails in the Jeep at times.

Thanks everyone.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Family in Jeep is tight, no matter what model. It really depends on her and how much baby gear you both try to carry. Specifically, you will find that only 2-3 brands of baby seats fit in the back of Jeep without running the front seat far forward, uncomfortably far. And most infant seats require that anyway.

You might be better off thinking Crew cab truck for about 4 years until you sort out the family.

Plus, kids have a hell of a time climbing into anything on 37s.

Last edited:

4runnerteq

Explorer
Nothing is worth the car payment. The cheapest car to have anytime is the one you already own. Yeah, it's always nice and fuzzy when you first get the new, but that quickly fades. If it's just time and you're replacing some unreliable POS might be different. Or if you have plenty of money to pay cash and be done, maybe. Our 97 4runner we have owned for 17 years and the 04 4runner for 12 years. I have no desire to EVER make another car payment. I'd love a 100 or 80 series Land Cruiser, but am not willing to borrow for one. And in reality it won't do anything more than either 4runner for the way we use them.

kdeleon

Observer
i'd go where your gut tells you. Seems like you want a JL but just despise paying monthly, but hey if you can afford it and put a smile to your face and your future family then go with it. Only advice i have is limit the number of babies if you want to hold on to that Wrangler long.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I question the need for 37's as well. I have a ZJ on 35's and my wife has a JKU on 35's. We have done the trails you mentioned without issue, and have done trails considerably harder as well. Seems to me the best route would be to just keep it simpler and run 35's. It'll make it easier to tow the camper as well.

jktowhere

Observer
Great feedback. I’ll admit 37’s we’re just a goal. The 35’s were fine. I guess 37 is not truly needed. Didn’t even think about the pain it would be to put a child in and out with 37’s.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Great feedback. I’ll admit 37’s we’re just a goal. The 35’s were fine. I guess 37 is not truly needed. Didn’t even think about the pain it would be to put a child in and out with 37’s.
For reference, I’m in a stock tires JK Rubicon with 2.5” lift. My 4 year old girl can’t reach the door handles and can’t get in. Mommy’s Expedition and the Highlander before that are simple. Tell her to get in the car and she does it, including buckling up. I still have to lift her into the Jeep, and she’s approaching 50 lbs now. It has to do with height, door profile, steps, and handle placement. I actually made a little rope ladder for the older one that she used for a year or two, but it was a cumbersome solution. I gave up quickly.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
There was something very wrong with your JK if it needed 4 inches to run 35s while your JL needs zero.

Agreed. My wife's JKUR still has the stock suspension and runs 35's with Nemesis flares. Very slight rubbing only under heavy articulation. We're putting a 2.5" lift on it just to give her better breakover angles as she drags that thing everywhere.

I used to have a lancruiser with an arb bumper an those side bars that run around the front hood line my kids used it like a jungle Jim climbed all over it. However. When they were car seat age we had an explorer with the car seat behind the drivers seat and I had to carry the kids while walking on my knees to get to,the car seats. That really tore them up my knees

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz