jmnielsen's "offroad" camper build

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Thought I might share this here to get some feedback and maybe some ideas from people. I started this about a year and a half ago, and while it is still a work in progress it is now campable. The frame is 2" square tubing, 1/8" thick. The cross members are 1"x2" that is also 1/8" thick.

It all started when I found this axle on craigslist. It's a 2000lb torsion axle that someone was selling. Grabbed it for $20 and other than being rusty, it was in good shape.

Then with some help I built the trailer frame. It's a 5x8 trailer, I wanted something small yet large enough to be comfortable to sleep in with my wife.

I was given a nice Bulldog coupler, so we used some of the 1x2 and 2x2 tubing to make it work.

A friend of a friend sandblasted the axle for me and put on a couple coats of primer, then I painted it with some underbody paint. Here it is mounted up, I was putting primer on the trailer.

The gussets were added for bolting the camper to the trailer. If I want, I can removed some bolts and have a blank trailer.

Here it is all painted up with the lights wired

Here is the floor of the camper. I used 3/4" birch plywood with 1x2s. I don't have pictures but the underside was then coated with roofing tar and insulation was cut to fit.

This was my initial design

I liked to profile so I mocked up a wall with some OSB I had left over from another project. I wanted to make sure I like the profile full size.

I liked the profile so that I what I was sticking with. I didn't get pictures of this process either (difficult to do all by myself), but I got the walls cut, and the door cutout and then put the walls up.

I got cabinets built and installed, a divider installed, and some other small things that I didn't get pictures of. Then I skinned the interior with hardboard. Admittedly not the best choice, but it was cheap and that's what I was going for.

Then I used some foam insulation boards that I cut to fit, and then covered with 1/4 luan. After that I covered all the seams and screws with some waterproof wood filler.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I sanded it all down, and then pulled it around the block to get all of the dust of. Here is a shot to show it's size behind my truck (an expo build in progress).

I finally had decided on a window size, so I cut out where it would go

Then I used the "poor man's fiberglass" with canvas, titebond 2, and paint. Glueing the canvas down and letting it dry.

My wife decided on "elegant charcoal" for the paint color. I like gray, so it works for me.

In the galley I built this slide for my cooler (yeti 65). I'm pretty sure this is my wife's favorite part of the build.

I added this little guy so you can keep the slide from moving while towing it.

One thing I forget when welding the frame was to build in fenders. I have them designed, but I haven't been able to weld them up yet, so I made some cheap and easy wood fenders for the time being.

Here it is with the door installed and the fenders painted

I didn't want to cook in the galley, so I made this fold down table.

Here are some shots on it's maiden voyage.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
It's a work in progress though. Here is a list of things to do:

- 12v Setup - cabin, galley, and exterior lighting. 12v outlets for charging electronics.
- build tongue box for storage
- Add trim along roof edge. It's water proof, just going to add trim for looks to cover up the crappy cuts on the canvas
- design storage for galley. I just made some quick and dirty shelves for the first camping trip
- weld fenders/steps to the frame. want to mount a 5lb propane tank under the fold down table
- weld roof rack for mounting awning and carrying kayaks or other things
- find some new rims and 30ish inch tires
- maybe add some graphics

I'm sure there is other stuff I'd like to do, just can't think of it right meow.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
This is my current project.

It is a little arm that will swing out (to the left looking at this picture). There will be a small 12v flood light attached so I can use it while cooking on the fold down table or I can swing it all the way to the left to use it to set up camp in the dark.

Sharpie

Observer
Very cool. Keep up the good work. I'm not a fiberglass guy nor have I ever even done anything with fiberglass.... so, my question is, what is the canvas material you are using? What makes it waterproof? Thanks.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Thanks guys. The canvas I am using is just a regular drop canvas from harbor freight, the 10oz variety. The waterproofing comes from the exterior paint. It took almost two gallons of paint to fill the weave of the canvas, and then I painted it the color my wife chose.

opp

Observer
Wow great minds must think alike. You are better at doing
That is how I like my trailer to look like.
I built with using D.I.Y rail top components .
THAT JUST one great looking trailer

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I do have some updates, I'll have to get pictures uploaded later. I haven't had much time to work on it or use it for that matter, as I am finishing up my agricultural engineering degree.

Things that are done:
- I have electricity now. Two group 31 batteries, an inverter, and some interior and exterior lighting.
- I have a tongue mounted storage solution, albeit not very nice it works.
- I bought a second door, so I can have a door on each side.

Things to do:
- Install the second door. Shouldn't be hard just haven't had time.
- Weld up new tongue mount for action packers. My current setup works, but it was just to get my by.
- Add a roof rack and a couple solar panels.

I think in the next year or two my brother will buy this from me and I will be building something larger.

I'll post pictures later tonight.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
@jmnielsen
Is this trailer still in use? How has the PMF held up?
Still in use and still holding up great!

I made a couple cheap choices when building that I now regret:
- not installing a fantastic fan. I may try adding one though.
-using cheap wood for trim and for my fenders. I am going to need to take it all off, weld some fenders and do something different for the trim.

I tried finding this thread a while back and couldn't, glad someone found it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ottsville

Observer
I have been working my way through this entire forum - there's lots of good builds in here. I'm looking at a teardrop and am thinking of building a simple one as practice then selling it and building what I really want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior