Jockey wheel without parking break?

JCDriller

Adventurer
I'd really like to add a XO Jockey wheel to my Turtleback as the tongue is heavier than I can comfortably lift. However, I'm honestly afraid of the trailer getting away from me since it doesn't have a parking brake I can throw if I need to stop it Anyone ever have a bad experience with a trailer getting away from them?

My two solutions are:
1. Get new brakes that have a parking brake lever and rig up a parking brake system which I can do, but will require lots of work that I don't really have time for right now.
2. Set up a switch that I can flip which will activate the automatic trailer disconnect system. I could even use the existing lanyard similar to how a wave runner safety lanyard works. I'm not looking to hold the trailer long term, just stop it from rolling and my trailer brakes are hooked up to 200ah worth of battery so I'd be good for a while:)

Has anyone done this, how did you approach it?

RacerAV

i am looking for a similar solution! I've got electric brakes and thought i should be able to just wire a small button or something.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I think this is what you may mean in #2, but does your trailer have a breakaway switch like this?

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...Y7nugMRYv9TD1RmCn2Qebn2V5NQcQP9BoCeSUQAvD_BwE

Just keep the cable in hand, when yanked the pin pulls and activates the brakes.

That's one idea, now Im thinking more along the lines of Verkstad. Using a deadman switch on a tongue grip like this one. Rig up a momentary switch on the end of it like a standard parking break. I can have a manual switch in the tongue box that bypasses this switch for when the trailer is in motion.

I think it's a better solution than a manual E-brake considering I would still chock it anyway even if I had the parking brake set.
image.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz