Joining aluminum without welding?

SameGuy

Observer
I am in the very early concept stages of building a slide in camper for my Tundra. Mostly because there doesn't seem to be very many options out there as far as weight and of course cost are concerned. I would like to build a semi traditional looking cab over slide in camper framed and skinned with aluminum. I don't know how to weld but looking around there seem to be other options, mainly using blocks inside of the squaring aluminum tubing, then using bolts or screws to secure the blocks in place and into the adjoining connected pieces. Aluminum blocks that are pre threaded would make things easier but I was also considering some hard wood. Not sure if anyone has done this and not sure if there would be sufficient strength, especially for the cab over section. Any experience you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

tarditi

Explorer
finding a welding shop that can TIG is the best course of action there, but you could also bond & rivet the joints... bolt together can be OK if you don't cause failure points where the bolt holes are - with tubing, it's easy to crush the walls if you over-torque - unless you sleeve it or have some sort of spacers.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I don't know much about it, but I've heard talk in discussions on bodywork where modern adhesives are being used as an alternative to welding. Some claimed they were as strong, or even stronger than welding. I think it requires overlapping at the seams. I read it in connection to doing bodywork on classic vehicles, as an alternative to spot welding steel panels. It was mentioned this is a process used in modern vehicle manufacturing already.

Sorry I can't be more detailed, but it might be something to give you an idea on what to research.

madmax718

Explorer
Yes, you can use adhesives. Its a two part epoxy, and you can buy em from 3m or eastwood. But there are a lot of things that are required to use it. Lots of cars are now bonded, such as rolls royce- but many parts are still tig welded. For example, the body panels are bonded, but the frame is tig welded. Many airplanes are now glued together. Generally speaking, structural framing requires mechanical fasteners or metal fusion, though brazing could technically be used as well. It is very good at connecting large spans (like a cars roof). Some manufacturers use a combination of adhesives and mechanical fasteners. Parts have to have very tight tolerances for everything to work.

I commend you for trying however- but you shouldn't get too attached to particular materials. The strength requirement of a camper top isn't as high as you might think. You can build one out of plywood if you wanted to without metal framing, and it would still be plenty strong. It just requires that you understand where the material strength is, and what it is when completed. A standard wood framed house is extremely weak until it is sheathed.

You should check out nidacore material if you can too. Super light weight, and rigid. Easy to work with. You could probably build it with this material, adhesives, and aluminum angle iron.

SameGuy

Observer
Thank you all for the info. I planned on using adhesives for the skinning, from what I've read it's a pretty straight forward process. I will do some checking with some local fab shops, see what they would charge me to make the frame. I'm thinking it is going to be cost prohibitive but having it done right rather than experimenting on my own may be a wise move.

Madmax, thanks for the recommendation on NidaCore. I've read about it and it looks to be a great solution for low weight and strength, not to mention its insulating properties. It's a bit pricy but I have seen some really nice builds using it.

DzlToy

Explorer
Find out EXACTLY what series of alloy you will be using, if you dont know already and call SIKA. Tell them what the application is, series of alloy, etc. and they will tell you what adhesive to use. The aluminum will literally tear apart before the adhesive fails.

MANY automobiles and parts are now bonded instead of welded. Rolls is not the only one by any means. Watch any "factory made" type of show with car production and you will see how much involves adhesives within the production line.

Adhesives also allow dissimilar metals to be bonded, where one cannot weld steel and aluminum together using traditional MIG, TIG, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke