Joshue Tree Climbing (sorta) Trip 10-27-10/29

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well, it was one amazing trip, but due to one of the guys who was bringing the trad gear back out at the last minute, we were only able to get one "sport" climb in.

It was our first time in J-Tree and sure not to be the last! Its an amazing place with lots to see and do!

We also did the "Keys Ranch" tour and that was well worth it!!

Moral of the story, dont rely on others to bring YOUR gear!

Here are some pics:

jtree2.jpg

jtree5.jpg

jtree9.jpg

jtree10.jpg

jtree11.jpg

jtree12.jpg

jtree27.jpg

jtree30.jpg

jtree32.jpg

jtree34.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
AWESOME! I didnt know that much cool stuff was out there! Last time i was there we just played on the rocks and never ventured out... im gonna have to head back soon!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
SOCALFJ said:
AWESOME! I didnt know that much cool stuff was out there! Last time i was there we just played on the rocks and never ventured out... im gonna have to head back soon!

Plan it and we will come! Dead of winter is the best time!

:smiley_drive: :camping: :rappel:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
+ d said:
Man, those are some BLUE skies!

Is that Willys just abandoned!?

Yes and No, its part of the "Keys Ranch" and while on the tour, Brett and I obviously opened the hood to check the powerplant and it was in surprisingly complete and nice shape!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Looks like fun...

This picture is way cool:
jtree34.jpg

Do you know of the history on them?

blupaddler

Conspirator
flyingwil said:

If these are the ones I am thinking of, on your way to the lake in the pictures. I forget the name...

Anyway, I don't know the history to well. But what I do know, is that they are real, but fake. Meaning they have been abused so much, and touched, etc. That they have actually been repainted to preserve what's left of the art.

BTW...Where did you guys camp?

Let me know when you go again.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
blupaddler said:
If these are the ones I am thinking of, on your way to the lake in the pictures. I forget the name...

Yes, on the way to one of the dams, i forget the name too! HA!

blupaddler said:
Anyway, I don't know the history to well. But what I do know, is that they are real, but fake. Meaning they have been abused so much, and touched, etc. That they have actually been repainted to preserve what's left of the art.

yes, there was a sign stating something of that nature, that they are real but have been painted and vandalized over time. we also read a sign that stated the colors were part of some preservation thing, so its your call! :D

blupaddler said:
BTW...Where did you guys camp?

Jumbo Rocks!

blupaddler said:
Let me know when you go again.

Ok, hopefully soon!

To answer your previous question, all we got to do was 1 nice and long double pitched 5.7 sport route.

We didnt have gear to set top rope anchors and VERY FEW of the routes in Jtree have top anchors to setup a top rope. Brett lead the climb and did a top belay! It was my first real sport climb and definitely got the blood flowing. Going 20-30ft past your protection definitely heightens your awareness!

:rappel:

Last edited:

blupaddler

Conspirator
Not to get too anal, and I know it's a sport route. So you are typically limited. But remember if you get 20' above your last piece of pro, then you have a 40' fall.

\\'anderer

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
Looks like fun...

This picture is way cool:
jtree34.jpg

The petroglyphs are near Barker dam, they were originally painted by the Serrano or Chemehuevi indians.

In the 1960's a Hollywood studio was filming a western and wanted to use the petroglyphs as a backdrop, but found they did not show up on film well. so they proceeded to paint over the originals and add some of thier own to make a "better" backdrop :mad:

BTW I live about a half hour from JTNP. If anyone is visiting the park drop me a PM. My wife and I would love to go out and spend more time there. In the winter we get up there 2-3 times per month. We have even seen Bighorn sheep up there.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
\\'anderer said:
My wife and I would love to go out and spend more time there. In the winter we get up there 2-3 times per month. We have even seen Bighorn sheep up there.

We are planning a small trip there 3rd weekend in january to climb, you guys going to be around then?

k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94