Just another Gen 3 Monty

Monstero

Adventurer
I am looking around local junkyards regularly and have yet to see a Gen 3 in them. For a 100$ I have will be getting a spare for both sides. But until then I have the broken axle to use as a spare "retainer" for the wheel unit bearing to hold things together to get home in 2wd. I cant remember the last time I wheeled alone and if I do I am way overprepared for situations like that. So I am not too worried. If someone breaks on a trail ride that we are on we always make sure to get them home and off the mountain and not strand them. Eventually we all will break and need help at some point so I am MORE than willing to stay to help a broken rig off the mountain. Thanks for the advice though and I do appreciate it.

Phil

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Thanks Tony,

I have ordered from them quite a few times online and ya they are much more affordable and I have nothing but good to say about them. Is he the same price to contact over the phone? The main reason I ask is that some of those are cheaper Online only, and I would rather talk in person to them.

Thanks,
Phil

Same price. I almost always end up talking to Kevin and placing the order over the phone. I use the website to look stuff up. But, when you talk to him, they use a different system and can verify the correct part for your VIN.

Monstero

Adventurer
The first axle that broke was the Axle Shaft itself. It snapped clean off right where it necks down in size just an 1/8" inside the boot. So neither of the joints failed, the shaft itself did where it got smaller in diameter.

Tony,
thanks I will talk to him the next time I order something from them.

Monstero

Adventurer
Thanks porigitty.

Its been a while since i have updated anything in this thread. I have been way too busy to even think of wheeling so I have just been lurking more than anything. Third child arrived 4 weeks ago and then now working 16hr days will def eat up any time I have to go wheeling. Plus signing on a new house here Monday so I HOPE(knock on wood) that once moved in and settled that I can start fabbing up a new front bumper for mine.

OH I guess I did do one thing. I rebuilt my Milemarker winch with all new bushings inside and grease throughout. Runs so nice and smooth now. Other than that will post updates as I have them.

Phil

WNRS

A new "lurker" needing a bumper

I have a 2003 limited that the family loves. After hitting a deer (could have been four, but I was lucky to find a gap with only one) last week with my 99 Dodge with Buckstop bumper and showing no wear from it, I really want to get an ARB front bumper and a matching rear bumper for the Montero. I also have been in need of a tow hitch setup so that I can tow the raft trailer. I noticed that your rear bumper meets all of my needs. Do you sell these bumpers? If not, do you sell plans? My brother could weld it up for me if I had the plans. We could probably build one of our own if necessary, so even dimensions and advice would help. Thanks - I love your Montero

jp1985

Nice Monty.
Could I also get a pm of the plans for the bumper?
I also have decided to hurculibe the bottom plastic peices. So you did them while they were still on it then?

I have an 02 that I just got back up and running after melting the valves. Took me a year of off and on work but it was worth it I love my montero.

Jp

Monstero

Adventurer
I built the rear bumper nd started to design plans but never did follow through with it. Plans with my partner at the time, that helped me build it quickly went south when he decided to screw me and so we parted ways. I have since changed careers and have little to no time at all to pursue building these rears. I can and will take extensive pics if you would like to give you an idea on all the process.

As far as the Herculiner. I did spray it while it was all attached. Just have to COMPLETELY mask and tape off the rest of the vehicle so that it doesn't have bare spots. Then just rough up the surface with 80 grit sandpaper and apply. I used a 20 dollar ceiling texture gun from Harbor Freight. Was quite easy, just took a little time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Would be interesting to see how that rear bumper was made (even though it'd be really nothing I can make myself, it may be something I can eventually have someone do for me) :)

And thanks for reminding me on the Herculiner, I have to re-do it soonish, its getting quite weathered now. :)

Monstero

Adventurer
Ya a good fabricator will be able to figure it out with pics

Monstero

Adventurer
Next time I give the Monty a good washing (Mondayish)will get some good pics of the rear and post em up here for you. It's covered in mud right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz