Just another military trailer build

Sandcoma

Picked up this m1102 last Wednesday locally for what i would consider a good deal. Trailer plug was already converted to 7 pin which saved some hassle.

Plan to paint the trailer black and build a rack and storage system but definitely have some questions.
1) what is everyone doing axle wise? Leaving stock axle in? At stock height?
2) brake wise...whats everyone doing there? Is there a way to convert to electric?

If any one has any builds and wants to post them up that would be great. Would love to have some ideas. Heres a few pictures of the trailer and i already managed to remove the canopy/ rack system and apply a coat of primer.

Searching for some 8x6.5 wheels to throw on and get rid of the 37s
83ae6dc292bbd75aa3fb0fe92d45af9a.jpg

503efa01c224fd1208d9dc74bd41c64e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Observer
Please do not take the axle off. It’s a torsion axle and they work great. No need to fix what isn’t broken. These trailers have excellent suspension. If you want a different hub, you can order a standard 12” drum with 5 lug or whatever pattern you want. You can keep the surge brakes or go with electric brakes. The swap is easy.

If you need the bearings and drum part numbers, I can find them for you.

That’s a great trailer. I have two of them and four of the 101a2’s and they are my favorite. They are bombproof trailers. The frames are serious strong.

Great trailer!

Buffalobwana

Observer
Here are the Dexter electric brakes with parking brake lever. You will have to devise your own method of attaching the cables to the levers. It’s not a straightforward attachment. About $220 from eTrailer. Get a set of seals bearings while you are at it total bill will be $300.
7187A4C5-AB82-44BA-9C7B-220E6F47C647.jpeg

Buffalobwana

Observer
Here are Dexter nevr-adjust brakes I’m putting on my 1101 (exact same trailer) these don’t have the parking brake option. I think they were $120 or so. ETrailer sells their own brand, made by Dexter for a little less.
571DEB01-5B1A-4B75-84CE-46E4C41BF89C.jpeg
One question. Why so quick to ditch those 37’s? A tougher tire is hard to find. I had 4400 lbs in mine this weekend (weighed on a scale) with 20 psi in the tires and they didn’t appear to bulge at all while at rest. But they do help with the suspension while running.

They are heavy. That’s a downside. But a lot of that weight is the runflat insert that can be removed. Couple tow straps. A tree. Some dawn soap and a truck is all that is needed!

I bought some lightweight 16.5” wheels for those tires as Summit racing. They seem to have a pretty large selection of 16.5” wheels. That reduced the weight a fair amount too over the two piece steel wheels. I think they were $110 or so each. I really like the look of the 37’s on these trailers, that’s why I ask.

Last edited:

Sandcoma

Here are Dexter nevr-adjust brakes I’m putting on my 1101 (exact same trailer) these don’t have the parking brake option. I think they were $120 or so. ETrailer sells their own brand, made by Dexter for a little less.
View attachment 459274
One question. Why so quick to ditch those 37’s? A tougher tire is hard to find. I had 4400 lbs in mine this weekend (weighed on a scale) with 20 psi in the tires and they didn’t appear to bulge at all while at rest. But they do help with the suspension while running.

They are heavy. That’s a downside. But a lot of that weight is the runflat insert that can be removed. Couple tow straps. A tree. Some dawn soap and a truck is all that is needed!

I bought some lightweight 16.5” wheels for those tires as Summit racing. They seem to have a pretty large selection of 16.5” wheels. That reduced the weight a fair amount too over the two piece steel wheels. I think they were $110 or so each. I really like the look of the 37’s on these trailers, that’s why I ask.

You sir are the man! Do you have the link to where you ordered these? Also for the bearings and hubs ( 6 lug ones ) ?

Buffalobwana

Observer
If you want to change bolt pattern, then you will need to pull your hubs and give eTrailer a call with detailed spindle measurements. They will sell you new bearings, hubs, brakes, seals and everything.

If you want to keep 8 on 6.5, the best thing you can do is to pull your hubs, pull the bearings and get the numbers off the bearings and order the exact replacement bearings. The number should be clearly marked on the sides.

As of a year ago, I could not find any info on bearings for the 1101/1102 on the web. I started a thread on Steel Soldiers and one of the moderators, gringletaube, gave me the following info. I have not yet tested whether these bearings and races are the correct fit, but his research was extensive, and I trust it enough to give it a try with the obvious ... “Caveat Emptor”

Not all of these are carried by eTrailer but amazon has the rest of the parts.

Timken 412920 grease seal - Timken 412920 Seal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001544TIE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_W6-qBb0VXV6YE

Timken 25580 bearing - https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bearings-Races-Seals-Caps/etrailer/25580.html

Timken 14124 Bearing - Timken 14124 Bearing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00153ZCBI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_67-qBbDD61QNY

Timken 14276 Race 2.717" Outer Diameter, 0.6250" Cup Width - Timken 14276 Tapered Roller Bearing Outer Race Cup, Steel, Inch, 2.717" Outer Diameter, 0.6250" Cup Width https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071AZ7DC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_s9-qBbBB4GCBK

Timken 25520 Race, 3.265" Outer Diameter, 0.7500" Cup Width - https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bearings-Races-Seals-Caps/etrailer/25520.html

screwball48

Explorer
How does the trailer track width and overall width compare to the Tacoma? I drove past one of these trailers today and it placed dangerous ideas in my head.

Sandcoma

How does the trailer track width and overall width compare to the Tacoma? I drove past one of these trailers today and it placed dangerous ideas in my head.

Tracks very very similar to my setup. I would say a long travel setup would be identical or a little wider then the trailer. Width wise its about a inch or 2 narrower then my side mirrors. Jump on it! These things are sweet. And possibilities are endless.

screwball48

Explorer
I may try to stop and look at it this week sometime. It already had the tires and wheels swapped out.

sipaez

Hey there! Did you ever do anything with this trailer?
I'm looking to buy something similar and I'm wondering if it would be a little bit too heavy duty.

Cool truck by the way ;)

JPShooter

Adventurer
Here's a link to a thread I started when I got my M1101 in 2016. I haven't had much time since my last post there as we have been doing major remodeling to our home and that's been my focus.

Mattdaddy1974

I too just picked up a 2002 M1102 and wanting to swap drums and spindle to match my Gladiator. I’ve done the travel trailer thing and have decided to try tent camping for its simplicity. The first task I have is replacing the pintle with a conventional hitch and level out the trailer. I want to get all the mechanical things completed and then plan to paint match the trailer to my Jeep. I’ll be posting some pics tonight.

Ryan1267

Maintain surge brakes please... far superior then electric. The hydraulic lines are already there. As far as axle swaps go, the torsion is way to stiff for us civilians. I haven’t done much looking around but I’m interested in doing an indecent suspension set up.

Attachments

• 26792B6B-2B5D-482B-B3A7-407880AA5995.jpeg
    26792B6B-2B5D-482B-B3A7-407880AA5995.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41

Dlay

Hey Matt,

How did this go for you and did anyone successfully swap hubs to change to 6x5.5 and still keep the hydraulics?

Thanks!
Darrin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles