Just Getting Started

johno_slc

New to the forum here, and I’m just dipping my feet in the water. I’ve been an avid camper for 25+ years, but sleeping on cold hard ground, well, isn’t much fun anymore. I drive a 2010 Tacoma TRO as my daily driver, and have camped in the bed but I’m looking for... more. More comfort, more space, more heat, more convenience. At the same time, the price of a dedicated camper is more than I can justify right now (ie, not sure how much more my wife would camp if it were more comfortable). So this thread is kind of a “what kind of options are out there?” introduction.

I’ve been toying with buying a pop up tent trailer, either a new Rockwood ESP or buying something old and rebuilding it myself. What I’m really looking for is something —truck, trailer, camper—I can
  • Drive to a trailhead and park, go hiking/skiing/fishing/riding, and come back to relax in for a bit, heat up in during winter, etc.
  • Drive to a National Park or a Forest Service campground and live in while doing day hikes, nature photography, etc.
  • Drive to a local place with my grandkids and camp in
I live in Utah and my favorite places to camp are a long ways out forest service roads, so it has to be something that’s going to be rugged and not fall apart. I understand most commercial camping products aren’t built for off-road, so I’m a little hesitant about dropping $10k on a tent trailer just to have it fall apart on me. And while I have a 3-car garage, I hate the idea of a dedicated camper sitting there unused 300 + days of the year, so a camper doesn’t seem to fit my lifestyle, which is why I’m keep coming back to a trailer.

Are the newer “rugged” pop ups just looks, or are they built pretty tough?
Is it possible to remodel an older pop up to make it truly rugged?
How terrible of an idea is it to tow a pop up through rugged terrain?
Is there something in between a pop up and a full camper build that would get me where I want to be?

Thanks. Sorry I know this is kind of a rambling post, and I don’t have a lot of vision just yet. Hoping to hear some good ideas and pick a direction.

johno_slc

Hmm. Well, I’d seen teardrops in the past but have always considered them to be tiny. However in looking around thanks to your video, I see they can be a bit bigger. One thing I forgot to mention is that I’m an avid ham radio enthusiast and I’d like a portable operating “station” which means I need to be able to sit comfortably in it. Some of the taller rugged teardrops seem perfect for this—with the added bonus of not having to “set them up” at a trailhead.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll keep looking, Teardropper.

billiebob

So you have a pickup, what about a topper with seating and dining and room for the radio setup and room for the hiking stuff, then that is always with you. And a smaller teardrop for sleeping and cooking, which you only take if you need the bed and kitchen.

jtrak83

New to the forum here, and I’m just dipping my feet in the water. I’ve been an avid camper for 25+ years, but sleeping on cold hard ground, well, isn’t much fun anymore. I drive a 2010 Tacoma TRO as my daily driver, and have camped in the bed but I’m looking for... more. More comfort, more space, more heat, more convenience. At the same time, the price of a dedicated camper is more than I can justify right now (ie, not sure how much more my wife would camp if it were more comfortable). So this thread is kind of a “what kind of options are out there?” introduction.

I’ve been toying with buying a pop up tent trailer, either a new Rockwood ESP or buying something old and rebuilding it myself. What I’m really looking for is something —truck, trailer, camper—I can
  • Drive to a trailhead and park, go hiking/skiing/fishing/riding, and come back to relax in for a bit, heat up in during winter, etc.
  • Drive to a National Park or a Forest Service campground and live in while doing day hikes, nature photography, etc.
  • Drive to a local place with my grandkids and camp in
I live in Utah and my favorite places to camp are a long ways out forest service roads, so it has to be something that’s going to be rugged and not fall apart. I understand most commercial camping products aren’t built for off-road, so I’m a little hesitant about dropping $10k on a tent trailer just to have it fall apart on me. And while I have a 3-car garage, I hate the idea of a dedicated camper sitting there unused 300 + days of the year, so a camper doesn’t seem to fit my lifestyle, which is why I’m keep coming back to a trailer.

Is it possible to remodel an older pop up to make it truly rugged?
How terrible of an idea is it to tow a pop up through rugged terrain?
Is there something in between a pop up and a full camper build that would get me where I want to be?

Thanks. Sorry I know this is kind of a rambling post, and I don’t have a lot of vision just yet. Hoping to hear some good ideas and pick a direction.
I am right there with you. Have a wife and two toddlers under two so I need something that is going to be comfortable for everyone. They seem like they have everything we would need at a price point that works. I would like to do a little more than service roads, but can’t seem to find much info on how they will hold up.

Did you pull the trigger on something yet?

billiebob

Most of the rugged trailers have fairly rugged frames and suspensions. Where almost every trailer fails is interior and cabinetry and moving parts. My trailers all are 2K# trailer but every one gets a 3500# axle with 15" rims. I swear by that one option.

Forestry service roads are usually pretty well maintained.

For simple, economical, under $10K you'd be hard pressed to beat the Hiker SquareDrop Trailer.

Last edited:

jtrak83

There are a few teardrop options with 2 kids bunks.

View attachment 577513
Thanks for passing this along. I have looked at these, but haven’t put in the time to see what a build out would look like. I suppose while being quarantined I should be able to find some ha. Do you have one of these and if so, what was your experience like building one out? Thanks

billiebob

I built my Square Drop on my deck trailer. Trailer was $1100 new and weighs 700#. The Box cost $800 and weighs 800#.

jtrak83

I built my Square Drop on my deck trailer. Trailer was $1100 new and weighs 700#. The Box cost $800 and weighs 800#.

This is great, thank you. I have toyed with building my own and your post has given me more confidence that I could. Really appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz