Just purchased a LR4 w/ 60K miles, now what?

MrWiggles

Hi all, looking for advice. I just purchased a 2016 LR4 w/ HD package, with 61K miles.

What are the first things I should look at maintenance-wise?

I'm thinking the suspension may be nearing end of life. Any thoughts about where to go from here as far a suspension set up for an overlander that can do some of the more advanced trails in the Rocky Mountains? Should I replace the air suspension with some rods or convert to a more standard setup?

krick3tt

Adventurer
Don't immediately start changing things until you know what it will do. Read the manual for all the good stuff, these machines are very capable.
Get the IID tool, it will allow you to make your own determinations about what maintenance you can do and not take to the dealer for expensive service. It is worth the money, you'll see.
Check maintenance records for what was done. If it is local most likely the LR dealer has the service records, that will tell you what is next on the list. Don't change the air suspension to springs, the air is really great for lifting it for off road and with the IID tool you can augment the ride height. The suspension is not standard shocks like you may be used to, usually good for 100K miles min. My LR3 has 140K and doing great, although I did change out the compressor to the LR4 model as it is more robust and you already have that.
Drive it awhile and see how it handles, take it out for a few trails. The trails here in CO are fine for testing. I have had my LR3 for two years and there isn't a trail that I have been on yet that has stopped me. If you are nervous about going solo there are lots of groups that do trails often and they would be great for moral support. I thought about Johnson rods but never changed out the stock.
Tires first, something capable for CO trails and the road as there are lots of advice out there for what you should be riding on.
Just get in it and go someplace. Have fun.
Where are you located?

amcjen

I agree with Krick3tt. They’re pretty capable as-is, especially since yours is so new. (And good job finding such a new LR4 with HD! I have 2005 LR3 HD and love love love it.)

One resource I find really helpful is the Atlantic British service schedule. Lets me see what’s coming up for service and be ahead of it. Also lets me decide what I’ll do myself and what I’ll let my service shop do instead.

And yes, absolutely the IID tool should be the first thing you buy. Have fun!

krick3tt

Adventurer
Oh, and another piece of advice. Don't cheap out on fluids. Use the fluids and oils that are recommenced in the manual, LR has designed and researched these things to the nth degree. Trying to save a few bucks on a quart of oil or using regular gas instead of the 91+ that is recommended is foolish and will eventually cost you more than you save.
There are those that will say that regular gas is OK, I disagree. I have even driven greater distances to get 91 as 80+ was all the station sold. Now I carry extra to avoid that issue.

This is a finely tuned mechanical wonder and deserves best the possible care you can give it.

Yeah, I may sound like an LR ad but this thing cost me a bundle and I am not going to destroy it cause I need to save a dollar on a gallon of gas. If that were the case I would have kept the Pinzgauer, it ran on almost the cheapest crap I could find.

Mako1114

Adventurer
Congratulations. If you have the opportunity to get an extended warranty, i'd dot it. Mine was $5k and paid for itself in no time.

Cheers

dusmw

Bought my 06 LR3 with 60K from my mom who was original owner and did maint per LR schedule. I have changed plugs, lof, rotated tires, changed trans filter/fluid, new O2 sensor, air and cabin filters, and serpentine belt.

It had new tires, brake pads, brake fluid flush, and fresh coolant when I bought it.

This vehicle is filling gap till 2-3 year of new Defender. Should have bought one new in mid 90’s but young and dumb....

Enjoy your new LR4!

Blaise

Do not convert (downgrade) the suspension. Do not install rods.

Land Rover Engineers designed the truck and they designed it well. If a $80 sensor-override would enhance the capability, it would have been done from the factory.

Do the maintenance, buy good A/T tires. Have fun.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Why is the suspension end-of-life? Pull the maintenance records and bring it up to factory schedule.

The only item I can think of is the LCA bushings 'might' need near term attention but likely not.

As other noted, drive it, don't mod it.

The only upgrade you should consider is load range E tires and 18" wheels.

Blaise

I really don't want to start another flame war here but Land Rover didn't mis-equip the truck with non-E tires. If you're running heavy bumpers, roof stuff, 7 people and driving off road with low pressures? Sure - that's not a stock truck. Otherwise you'll be just fiiiiiiiiiiine on an SL tire - just make sure it's a proper AT tire. Adding 10+lb per corner is a huge compromise and most don't realize what/if for any benefit...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I really don't want to start another flame war here but Land Rover didn't mis-equip the truck with non-E tires. If you're running heavy bumpers, roof stuff, 7 people and driving off road with low pressures? Sure - that's not a stock truck. Otherwise you'll be just fiiiiiiiiiiine on an SL tire - just make sure it's a proper AT tire. Adding 10+lb per corner is a huge compromise and most don't realize what/if for any benefit...

Except for the Rocky Mountains comprised of broken down granite and jagged rocks that will try to slice sidewalls. Then put that passenger tire on a 19" or 20" wheel that results in low profile. The OP's did say "more advanced trails in the Rocky Mountains".

The other area where factory spec was less than desirable was towing. I could feel the back of the LR4 squirm with stock tires while load range E sidewalls eliminated that behavior. That was not a truck with heavy bumpers, roof stuffed or 7 people. It was the test drive out of the dealers parking lot, 2 people. We asked them about towing capability and he said "Take it, tow with it, bring it back and let us know how it worked". So we took the truck home, hooked up a 19' TT and took it for a test drive. Four hours later we brought it back to the dealer.

rgallant

Adventurer
@MrWiggles, tires if you are in the Rockies or the Pacific Northwest as noted by @mpinco there can be a lot of sharp rock. You want some sidewall height and a good solid tire. I run Cooper St Maxx load range E on my Discovery currently, and on an R50 Pathfinder previously. I have not holed a tire yet, but I did blow out a sidewall dropping onto a very sharp narrow point rock in a cross ditch.

But see what others in your area run and how the hold up, every environment is a bit different for tires.

Blaise

Except for the Rocky Mountains comprised of broken down granite and jagged rocks that will try to slice sidewalls. Then put that passenger tire on a 19" or 20" wheel that results in low profile. The OP's did say "more advanced trails in the Rocky Mountains".

Notice I didn't say not to run a 18" wheel. I run 18s as well... more profile is better without question when it comes to this stuff.

My experience has been that SL tires work fine. I've got plenty of gashes in my rims, no issues with the tires. And I like the nice plush ride :)

Attachments

• IMG_4045.JPG
    IMG_4045.JPG
    868.7 KB · Views: 34

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles