K5 wheel and tire questions

nitro_rat

Observer
image.jpg
Here's where to cut the back of the fender for tire clearance. You don't have to worry about the front since it's gone already!

pigsammy

I have run the Cooper Discovery at3's on my Ford Ranger for two years now and have been very pleased. They ride and perform well on and offroad in pastures. It's a large animal veterinary service truck with a constant load of 650-700 lbs. Bridgestone revos on a yukon are also doing great.
So many good tires, just not always in the size I am looking for. Or price range. The Kendas and wheels will be here in the next 2 days so hopefully I'll have them on and try them out next week. I'll post some updates as I use them. Really hope they'll work out. Then I can start figuring out tires for the suburban.

pigsammy

Wheels got here today so I pulled a front and tried the new wheel on. The stock wheels fit very close to the hub with a lip. The new wheels are not hub centric and have a gap around the hub. Is this acceptable? Will new or different lug nuts be needed?

Clearance at the caliper, tie rod end, and elsewhere is excellent as far as I can tell. I'd like to get the tires mounted in the next day or so, but need to find out if the wheels will work like this first.

ETA: picking up new lug nuts tomorrow and hopefully finding time to get tires mounted

Attachments

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wheels got here today so I pulled a front and tried the new wheel on. The stock wheels fit very close to the hub with a lip. The new wheels are not hub centric and have a gap around the hub. Is this acceptable? Will new or different lug nuts be needed?

Clearance at the caliper, tie rod end, and elsewhere is excellent as far as I can tell. I'd like to get the tires mounted in the next day or so, but need to find out if the wheels will work like this first.

ETA: picking up new lug nuts tomorrow and hopefully finding time to get tires mounted
Millions of off road rigs have covered billions of miles with lug centric wheels, we had them on two Jeeps that had the snot beat out of them, you will be fine.

pigsammy

The Kendas are mounted. Very little time on them yet, and only on road.
Tremendous improvement in ride and decrease in road noise over the (worn out) mud-terrains. I'm really happy so far and look forward to some time off next week to get some miles on them.

Attachments

1stDeuce

Explorer
FWIW, I'd guess you have a 2-1/2" lift on there... Even the stock "HD" 3 leaf front springs had noticeably negative arch on blazers, and it appears yours are just about flat, which would be right for a 2-1/2" lift...
I believe Skyjacker had a 3-leaf front pack on an older "softride" kit. Other mfg's may have as well.
A mid-80's blazer should have four leaves in the rear pack, so you may have an add-a-leaf, if not a ~1" block and an add-a-leaf...

Nice Blazer, BTW!!! :)
It looks interesting with the 17" wheels...

Since you just bought 6-lug wheels, you might consider offing all the 8-lug axles and finding a Semi-floating 14 bolt 9.5" axle with the 6-lug pattern. Sure, it's a semi-float, but you'll have a much stronger axle than your current 10 bolt rear, and it'll work fine with your new wheels. If you could find one with 4.10's and a factory G80 "Gov Lok" you'd only have to change the front axle ratio to match.
Car-part.com shows several available around me with 4.10 gearing... Look for a rear axle from a '98 2500 with 6 lug hubs and 4.10 gears and see what pops up. Then peek at the truck glove box and find one that has G80 option listed. :)
Oh, I believe the 2wd version would be closer in width to your current Blazer front axle... The 4wd axle is just a bit wider IIRC...

Good luck!!

Last edited: