K9/Shadow Awning

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
Hey,
I’ve been testing these brackets from Alu-cab for a while now, and wanted to do a quick write up/ report on them.
These came as a left-hand side kit, but fortunately, they fit either side without modification, other than removing the plastic corner guard from the rack. They are pretty sturdy, which is necessary with the design of the Shadow and the self supporting system. Each bracket is held on by three 6mm bolts, located in the outer channel of the rack. The 10mm locknut slides into the channel, and the bolt drops down to thread into the locknut. One concern is over tightening of the bolt, which can cause the nut to strip or jam in the channel. Don’t ask how I know this... I’m looking into a better retention system than just the lock nut.
Anyway, the brackets are steel, simple in design but effective in application. One person can fit/remove the awning in 20 minutes once the brackets are installed on the awning. They also allow the awning to sit low enough that I can pull the cruiser into my garage with it fitted to the rack, and my garage door is standard height, and I’m running slightly larger than stock tires. When deployed, the awning is high enough for most adult sized (?) people to walk under without hitting their head on a strut.
Now the best part, pictures!
6D6BF879-15A1-47F9-8A75-10CF6277C922.jpeg
C89C1523-E423-4CA2-9EF2-4A3E5C6D1838.jpeg
44C106BD-D126-4FAB-A1D2-9CCB121397AE.jpeg
9DA4434B-C470-4CB8-87B0-8D0725908563.jpeg
So, if you’re like me and have a K9 rack and been lusting over the Shadow Awning, but just couldn’t find a mounting solution, I think this is pretty close to perfect! Give Rin at OK4WD a shout and let him know you saw this review.
I’m also heading out tomorrow for a few days in the woods, and will get some shots of the awning in use, so stay tuned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles