Kelly Kettle bags- custom made.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
All,
I have had a kelly kettle for a while and found that its very strong and I like it. However, the bag sucks. I have "commissioned" some custom leather bags for my kettle and the kettles that belong to two of my friends. The person who is making them lives in rural wyoming and is a long time friend. She has expressed interest in making more of these so I thought I would see if anyone else wants one. I have not gotten mine yet, but I can give a review of it and post some pictures when it arrives. Basically, it is a hard bottom bucket with a riveted base and the draw string bag part starts about half way up. The draw string passes through some grommets in the top of the bag.

Any interest?

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
great

Im glad im not the only one who likes things that work and last a long time. I will put some pictures of this thing up when it gets here. This first one is a "prototype" and there will probably be some changes once I get it.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
getting back on track

I got my prototype kettle bag. We have elected to have ours decorated with some artwork typical to our favorite areas and our names. I suspect future ones of these could be ordered like this, but "commercially" made ones will probably be plain. I have decided to send it back for some changes to the seam on the back to include some more rivets. Anyway, here are some pictures of the one that I have. The maker says that one of these probably would cost about 70 dollars. We shall see if that changes once the modifications are done.

Also, I'm sorry for being too lazy to turn the images upright before posting. Never mind the disassembled land rover in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1759.jpg
    IMG_1759.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 87

mudbutt

Explorer
I've done some leather work before and I can tell you that it's fairly labor intensive for a non-pro like me. And it can be difficult to get good looking results if you are not patient and/or skilled.

Cheap at twice the price... And it looks nice!

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
All-
This is still happening. I got my revised first edition kettle back yesterday. I am waiting for the first real one to come now. Sorry for the "delays in production" (or maybe just laziness). Ill post some pictures of the next one and then we can get some more made for all of you.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I spoke to the Kelly Kettle management team at the Outdoor Show in SLC, and I mentioned this thread to them. They were very interested to see what is developed.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
Ray,
thats interesting. I am glad to get the blessing of kelly kettle. These bags are hand made in a barn in rural wyoming. I like the idea of something that is long lasting, hand made and unique. I think Kelly Kettle would be proud to have something like that to hold their product.

XploreBaja

Observer
Ray,
thats interesting. I am glad to get the blessing of kelly kettle. These bags are hand made in a barn in rural wyoming. I like the idea of something that is long lasting, hand made and unique. I think Kelly Kettle would be proud to have something like that to hold their product.

Made in America with tradition, long lasting handmade and boy if we weren't mostly all unique here we probably wouldn't be here. I am happy to wait for a product that I will be passing down to my grandsons...that's the way I look at it and in 50 years my grandkids will be adventuring in the wilds with a product that derived from a bunch of guys trying to make our travels better.

Thanks Linus!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94