Kimbo camper?

cukup

I'm considering one.

They're optimized for medium sized trucks and get very close to max payload, which makes me a bit sketched out. The camper weighs 1100. Add two adults and gear for a week at 450lbs and your at 1550, which exceeds some Tacoma payloads. I think dakar heavy leaf packs, helper springs, add-a-leafs, airbags, or some combination therein would be a must for running this on a midsized as it is designed for. I would also be careful on running this on a heavily 'built' taco. Those bumpers and skid plates add up in weight. Even on a Ram 1500, it seems to be taxing the suspension.

That said, they're supposed to have an 8foot camper built for a full sized trucks (f150, etc). coming out in August or September next year. You can run the 6footer in a full size bed, but you'll end up needing a spacer under the camper to clear taller cabs. You'll also have about 10-12 inches each side of the camper floor in your truck bed, though this could be used for storage (see here). As AbleGuy mentioned, they don't leave a ton of space for that inside the camper.

Personally, I think I may just wait for the 8 footer. As much as I want to get my new rig running sooner, the weight on a smaller platform concerns me.

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer
I haven't seen the inside or even touched one, however there is a guy in a red tacoma that lives in my town with a Kimbo. I see it a few times per month and not only does it look unstable, it looks ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe it's not, but it sure looks very top heavy and I'd be worried about hitting switchbacks on pavement above 35 mph. To Top it off, he keeps a dirt bike mounted to the front of the truck.

cukup

Don't get me wrong- I think it looks like a great design and I love the philosophy, but it seems to me that the 6 footer is designed around an unsuitable platform.

java

Expedition Leader
I dont understand the shape, so much wasted space in the upper corners. Yes keeps it a little smaller, but its already that wide down lower.

I see one around the PNW a fair bit. Im curious how bad they sweat inside in the winter with all the exposed alu in there.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
The shape is driven from the vintage airstreams, avons etc. it seems to carry forward a nautical theme too. The shape also gives it structural rigidity since they eliminate internal framing. I would like to have one on the tundra but the floor between the wheel well is 50” wide and the camper is 42” plus I would need to add 4” to raise it up for the cab clearance..it does have a unique character to it. 16+ week lead time

rruff

Explorer
I'm ok with the shape and look but there is no reason to angle the rear panels; just adds expense and decreases the room. Weight is <1000lb which seems decent. Don't think you can get much lower for a camper like this. Not many full stand up campers made for midsize trucks, but there is a good reason for that also...

I'm really suprised that they can sell these for $15k and make money. I expect the price to increase quite a bit if they stay in business.

hildo

Anybody on this website have a Kimbo on a Tacoma? I'm curious about the MPG with a Kimbo/Tacoma Camp rig. Thanks

ThebigMT

I'm also curious to hear first hand comments- good or bad about the Kimbo. I think there are many reasons to like it, but as stated here there is a reason why you don't see many "mid sized" pickups with rigid side campers on them. I mean there are still people driving 1980's toyota dolphins around but that doesn't make it a good idea....

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I just saw someone doing a tour of one. As I recall, they're damned light. That puts it well within a Taco's capacity (especially if you upgrade the suspension a bit).

My take on them is they're basically a pretty fancy tent. Given the small size and the R5 insulation value, it'll be easy enough to keep warm in the winter and it's got enough windows to help cool it down a bit in the summer. You'll be able to move around in it and outlast bad weather (some cooking, sleeping, reading a book, or surfing the web) - but you'll get stir-crazy if it lasts too long. For folks looking to do long weekends off-road, have a place to crash when they're doing some sort of outdoor physical activity, and the like they'd be a good option.

Proflounderer

If anyone still would like to know more about the Kimbo camper, check out this resource:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94