Kiravan

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Extremely old news. He did a Mog before that...

http://www.maximog.com/

From what I remember, they stuck a small block Chevy in the MaxiMog. About the only time they actually took it out (for a photoshoot), the Turbo 400 trans took a dump.

Ultimately, the MaxiMog's claim to fame was being on display in a museum of modern art. The KiraVan is the same thing, an art piece commissioned by a rich guy with money to burn, not a real world working rig.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
The KiraVan is the same thing, an art piece commissioned by a rich guy with money to burn, not a real world working rig.

I read somewhere a lot of the reason behind it was the creator mostly did military builds such that he didn't exactly have anything to show off to potential customers his capabilities because of the confidentiality. So the Kiravan was sort of a trade show on wheels example of all the different technologies and integration he could incorporate into a specialty vehicle build.

I thought it was stupid when I first saw it, but after that explanation I found it made a lot of sense. I mean as a whole it's dumb, but if you have a customer interested in say, video surveillance, he can start pointing at stuff related to that, another wants sleeping quarters in a vehicle, he can point to that, etc etc....

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I read somewhere a lot of the reason behind it was the creator mostly did military builds such that he didn't exactly have anything to show off to potential customers his capabilities because of the confidentiality. So the Kiravan was sort of a trade show on wheels example of all the different technologies and integration he could incorporate into a specialty vehicle build.

I thought it was stupid when I first saw it, but after that explanation I found it made a lot of sense. I mean as a whole it's dumb, but if you have a customer interested in say, video surveillance, he can start pointing at stuff related to that, another wants sleeping quarters in a vehicle, he can point to that, etc etc....

I think that was it. It's more of a showcase for the company's abilities than an actual overlanding/expedition vehicle. For that purpose I think it's pretty cool. It's like most of the cars you'd see at SEMA, something that has all the bells and whistles but not actually meant to have a practical use.

There was one video interview with the Kiravan, and IIRC it broke down a few miles from the company, so not exactly something you'd want to take on a long distance expedition in the middle of nowhere.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
That's not what Ferran said when he built it.

He apparently got rich off Disney and Google stock options and patents and now seems to have a company that just does whatever he feels like blowing money on.

As far as building specialty vehicles for goverment...look under "activities"...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_Minds

Third

A very inspirational build and still love looking it over. I remember the first time I saw it I was in awe. Still has that effect on me...

To much chrome for my taste. And I can't think of anything non-commercial that I could put all those light poles to use. Enough money and you can do anything.

But the that cockpit...

AirplaneJokes-0048.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles