Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

Lucky j

Explorer
Pelican are nice, roas case style baltic birch would look nice, bed liner are covering (paint). You also have to option of finding used military pelican style case that are very nice and prety cheap.

One thing about air tranport, for a fact, I know taht some airline wil not carry camping fiel container. I know that bush pilot company will do it, but I think that it is worth question when checking lugage.

Just a generic type box, but to give an idea.

image.jpg

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Pelican mod for sure - baggage handler rated, water/air tight, extension handle, roller wheels, bullet-proof [sic]. I got a few 1650's off eBay or CL for under $100 each, bought a generic organizer kit and here's a proof of concept. For a sense of scale, that's a king-sized bed.

Pelican Case (2).jpg

Pelican Case (1).jpg

thethePete

Explorer
I'm in Canada, and I don't generally buy used gear, so I don't often check Ebay.com, and only rarely .ca. I typically buy from Canadian etailers, or local buisnesses, and most places I've seen even a tackle-box sized Pelican is $300, and that's not nearly big enough for a chuck box. I'd have no problem buying a used Pelican for that purpose however, just need to dig around for someone who caters to shipping to Canada. Brokerage on some products can be crippling, often doubling the cost of the item.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I'm in Canada, and I don't generally buy used gear, so I don't often check Ebay.com, and only rarely .ca. I typically buy from Canadian etailers, or local buisnesses, and most places I've seen even a tackle-box sized Pelican is $300, and that's not nearly big enough for a chuck box. I'd have no problem buying a used Pelican for that purpose however, just need to dig around for someone who caters to shipping to Canada. Brokerage on some products can be crippling, often doubling the cost of the item.

That's actually a new one, but yea you'd want to look on .ca. Does Craigslist operate in CA? It's more of a local thing.

Sent from my HP-41C during a flashback to 1978.

pyrate

Rollin' along
What is your weight limit? As much as I like my pelican box, it's not light, even empty. Fill it and it quickly becomes something I want to mount permanently to my truck.

I am not sure exactly all the things you want to include in your box and how much but you might look for a photographer's backpack. They have all the same kind of compartments that are shown here
attachment.php
but in a backpack it might get the job done.

Also, try searchtempest.com for used goods. It looks at your search and almost any resale site on the www by distance to your location. I have never tried it in Canada but might be an option.

Arctic_Farmer

Chuck box as checked airline baggage

1. I need to think and type faster because i think the portal times me out before I hit 'send'. This is the second time I'm not able to send the message I typed out. So, now I'll type the note in Word Pad and try cutting and pasting into the forum.
-
2. I really like the quality of the pelican cases but they're a bit heavy. I can purchase a new 1650 case for $250 (plus shipping). Its inside dimensions are 28.5" by 17.4" by 10.5" so its well under the 62" (L + W + H) allowed for by the airlines for checked baggage. Unfortunately, at 28 lbs empty that only leaves 21.5 lbs for the contents to keep the entire package under the 50 lb baggage maximim.
-
Fuel on a commercial plane? Not going to happen. Its one of the questions they ask you before you check the bag. No, the stove has to be emptied of fuel and you can't have any fuel with you. This is a problem because in remote communities you can't purchase propane bottles, butane cartriges or even white gas. Consequently, I'm looking at the Coleman Dual-fuel stoves. They will burn White Gas (Coleman fluid) or Unleaded gas. Since Bush Alaska runs on 4-wheelers every community has gasoline. It may be $6 - $8 a gallon but there will be Unleaded gasoline. The Coleman Dual-fuel stove is 20" wide by 13" deep and 6.5" high and weighs 10 lbs empty. These dimensions and weight may get me to consider getting two MSR multi-fuel single-burner stoves instead. They are a bit more fussy to get started but they're much smaller and lighter weight since they're designed for the backpacking market. the Dual Fuel Coleman would fit inside the 1650 Pelican case but there wouldn't be room for much more (and only 11.5 lbs available for other cooking gear).
-
Alaska living and travel (and I guess expeditions in general) is all about logistics. What Can and Can't you bring and how much will it cost to get the material to the destination and back. For example, our project last week was in an area known for a heavy bear population (both black and brown). I took a Bear Awareness refresher course but I found out that we couldn't get bear spray to the location. You can't fly with bear spray inside the aircraft. Apparently, I had to have contacted the manufacturer 6 months ahead of time and have them ship the bear spray to the community as Hazzardous Material. Finally the Federal worker that we contracted the job with said "Just go get a shotgun since you can check it on your commercial flight". So I took a shotgun class on Monday, passed it and purchased an approved model of 12-gauge on Wednesday and flew out to the jobsite on Friday with my new gun. Luckily we didn't see any bears, plenty of bear sign but no actual bears. My long-winded point is that logistics are everything. What you can and can't bring determines how the job is done.
-
If you're used to car camping (or RV camping) my situation sounds 'WAY Out There' but really its not so far off. Just unique in how we get there. (I have staff on a salmon project this weekend that had to hire a whitewater raft and guide to get to their sample sites). I never let my staff go on these projects alone so there will be at least 2 people. That translates into 4 checked bags of up to 50 lbs each along with 2 carryon bags. For an former backpacker this amount of equipment is the height of luxury.
-
Please keep the chuck box ideas coming,
-
Jeff in Alaska

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
do you need a hard case ?
my only thought would be depending on what you have in your kitchen kit ?

I know things such as cutlery/uensils could be in a roll and would not need to be in a hard case ? same as say plastic or metal plates maybe a small amount of things spice jars and a couple other things could go in a smaller hard case inside the whole setup

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Just a comment on the pelican. As long as the item is not oversized, you can pay an overweight fee. The upper limit depends on the airline, but I used to regularly travel with a 1660 loaded at 75lbs full of communications gear and generally paid 50 or 100 for overweight. 75 is the general upper limit for US Continental aircraft. I've done 100lbs once.

If you need the protection for the equipment, don't let the case be a barrier.

If it were me, I'd go the Coleman dual fuel route. White gas is somewhat easy to find, and if not you can go unleaded. I also go pt a propane adapter kit for mine, so I can run white or unleaded, or green bottles. Unleaded burns a bit dirty in mine, so expect to fuss with it a bit between cleanings.

Scoutman

Explorer
I've used my Pelican Kitchen for a few years now and love it. It goes in my truck bed so being waterproof is important. I've made adjustments taking things out that I don't use and constantly finding better, more useful things to go in. 1600 with lid organizer and a game of Tetris inside.

c493a7dce56a06e0bfb04ec8d7556daf.jpg

3523e6ce5741b8dff6ae4d8be66f2d4f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pyrate

Rollin' along
I've used my Pelican Kitchen for a few years now and love it. It goes in my truck bed so being waterproof is important. I've made adjustments taking things out that I don't use and constantly finding better, more useful things to go in. 1600 with lid organizer and a game of Tetris inside.

c493a7dce56a06e0bfb04ec8d7556daf.jpg

3523e6ce5741b8dff6ae4d8be66f2d4f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nice set up. I need to work out the kinks from my last trip. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Scoutman

Explorer
Great set up. What are you using the stainless chafing dish inserts used for?

The steam table inserts are primarily my dish washing sinks. I have 3 of them and they are the 1/3 size at 6" deep. Since the bottom of the pans are only ~10"x5" they don't require much water to be usable unlike a larger wash basin. Plates, pans, etc all wash vertical instead of horizontal if that makes sense.
#1: hot soapy water
#2: warm rinse water
#3: cold sterilize rinse (drop a Steramine tablet in)

When finished I'll dump #1 first and then pour #2 into #1 and dump, and the final is #3 to #2 to #1. That ensures they're all clean. Of course they can also be used for food prep, bathing (can warm the water directly on the stove), or a variety of other uses.

Just realized Tapatalk uploaded that picture sort of blurry. I'll see if I can get a better shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles