Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

onetraveller

Adventurer
I've used these roll-up tables from REI for many years. I got my first one back in 1996 and it's still going strong. They had stopped producing them at one point, but brought them back due to demand. They work great in the limited space inside our Jeep and are stable enough during usage.

http://www.rei.com/product/378009/camp-time-roll-a-table?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla_multichannel-_-3780090001&mr:trackingCode=1E570CB0-6C5B-E411-AF04-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannelonline&mr:ad=52774015120&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=126975523720&msid=qbYkh0pe_dc|pcrid|52774015120|&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA

Mike

440.jpg

Last edited:

Dice

Yes you could say it was cooked......lol. My kids and I fired up the mapp gas and propane torches and lightly went over the plywood until the desired darkness was achieved. Coated it with spray matte clear and there ya' go.

Honu

lost on the mainland
that was huge in the 70s :) love it a bit of retro
I had this big wire spool thing done like that for my room table in the 70s when I was in school ! ahhh memories :)

Yes you could say it was cooked......lol. My kids and I fired up the mapp gas and propane torches and lightly went over the plywood until the desired darkness was achieved. Coated it with spray matte clear and there ya' go.

I'm all in a soft bag now...

Cooler not included for perishables, but this has a selection of freeze dried food for when I need that instead of stuff out of the cooler, plus tea, oatmeal, etc. Center section contains all my cooking gear - the stove, pots, extra fuel, bowls, etc, and the far end section is foil wrap, zip lock bags, paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc.

Honu

lost on the mainland
cool to see soft bags
I still use one pelican and that aluminum box of mine for kitchen but I have switched to using soft bags for quite a few things and liking the weight savings etc...

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's a nice re-purposing of a carry-on bag.

Those with rattling utensils, consider a piece of fabric or towel to roll that stuff up within. Like the felt backs for fine silverware, or the leather organizers for wood chisels or allen wrenches.

40660-1_lg.jpg

Bennettbf

Observer
Kitchen box 2.0

For the last seven years we've used a kitchen box that I cobbled together in my garage. Its dimensions were defined by a large washbasin and the need to fit between the wheel wells of our old pickup.

100_1214.jpg

It was as handy as a shirt pocket, but accommodating the large washbasin made it deeper than our other two boxes and with the extra space inside, we found ourselves adding more and more to it -camping equipment will always expand to fit the space afforded it. Also, I needed to shrink it down as in a few years, I need to be able to carry it myself.

IMG_20150506_191844_931.jpg

I painted the inside white on the theory that it would brighten the inside and make the most of whatever light got in there. Nice in theory. Filthy in reality. Also, the shelf above the stove area began to sag under the weight of our 10" dutch oven. If we're going to do this again, we should compartmentalize it to add some support to that shelf.

IMG_20150413_203431_086.jpg

Out was the old washbasin and in were two collapsible plastic washbasin (thank you Scouting for showing me the error of my ways!) And the silverware/junk drawer had always been too high, and finding anything in there was a hassle. And a noisy hassle. Who wants to camp next to that guy?

100_2088.jpg

I added laminate to all the horizontal surfaces this time, as they were impossible to clean in the 1.0 box. And while the stain may be dark, it turns out whenever I was in there at night, I was wearing my headlamp anyways. And there's about five coats of Varathane leftover from our hardwood flooring project in the house. The drawer handle was always rubbing on the inside of the lid on the last box, and it turns out we really don't need much there, so a chunk of 1/4" line works pretty well, too. Speaking of which, Now that we camp out of a suburban, the sound of the chains clanging inside the boxes was driving me up the wall. 550 cord makes a nice quiet replacement.

100_2090.jpg

Yes, it's probably the most over-engineered silverware drawer ever made, but when life gives you 1/2" plywood and leftover oak, make lemonade.

100_2094.jpg

Packed to the brim . . .

100_2100.jpg

Now I just need to get this stuff out of the garage and into the truck and off to the woods. As soon as work permits. Grrrrrr . . . . .

GregSplett

Adventurer
You probably need permission from your local government to fill them all?:sombrero: I laugh now but we are right behind you.

Here is a couple of pics of what I threw together.

DSCN1198.jpg

DSCN1200.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

DSCN1204.jpgDSCN1207.jpg

I love the box.Makes preparing meals so much more fun.

I have not built the base yet as I am working on a leveling system for it.I think I have it figured out though.

Last edited:

Bennettbf

Observer
Our leveling system is a bag filled with 2" x 4" pieces of plywood in varying thicknesses. And a small torpedo level.

If you added a slightly smaller base to the bottom of the center box, it could act as a socket for a base like lupinsea has on his CNC milled set up. It looks like anything else along those lines might interfere with your handy swingout cabinets.

What's with the birds?

GregSplett

Adventurer
Our leveling system is a bag filled with 2" x 4" pieces of plywood in varying thicknesses. And a small torpedo level.

If you added a slightly smaller base to the bottom of the center box, it could act as a socket for a base like lupinsea has on his CNC milled set up. It looks like anything else along those lines might interfere with your handy swingout cabinets.

What's with the birds?

The birds are crows.Me and the wife have a love of crows.DSCN1190.jpg

You are right about having to build the bottom up to allow for door swing.I should of held my doors up'two reasons.One to allow the base to cradle the box and two,the bottom rai helps keep the box from racking.I kind of consider this the proto type.Actually now that you bring it up I can modify the doors and the base quite easily. quite easily.Thanks.

That link you post is the source of inspiration for the design.

What I am working on is a base just like his but has a jacking plate controlled by four knobs in the corners,underneath.So I set mine up just like his and then reach underneath and twist knobs to adjust the four corners to level.I will post pics when I get it done.I am hoping by the end of the month as I plan a five dayer the first of june.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz