Klaus - 2006 Montero Build

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Yes. That's the one that tends to leak.

It should be replaced every time you replace the water pump, but some shops forget or don't do it.

pwjazz

Well, the valley looked clean, but I eventually noticed some coolant splattering onto the airbox and based on the direction of the splatter it looked like it was coming from the cold side hose. I tightened up the hose clamp and coolant levels are staying totally steady now.

pwjazz

I got to learn about the IOD fuse today. "IOD" stands for "Ignition Off Draw" and it's the fuse(s) for the circuit(s) that draw power even when the ignition is off. In my Montero, that seems to be the radio and most of the interior stuff, including power locks, keyless entry, etc. The 10 amp fuse is for the radio, the 15 amp fuse is for the other stuff.

The IOD fuse is contained in a yellow casing. It took me forever to figure out what to do with this, but it's not that complicated.

When the casing is in the down position, it's not possible to pull the individual fuses. Here's how the casing looks in the down position.

down.jpg

To pull the fuses, you first have to pull the whole yellow casing up. The first time I did this it seemed stuck, so I had to use a couple of pliers on both ends to pull it up. Now I can pull it up just by hand.

up.jpg

The idea is that pulling up the whole thing disables all IOD circuits, which is handy if you're going to leave the car sitting.

Once the yellow casing is up, you can pull the individual fuses just like you normally would.

pulled.jpg

DenTar

I got to learn about the IOD fuse today. "IOD" stands for "Ignition Off Draw" and it's the fuse(s) for the circuit(s) that draw power even when the ignition is off. In my Montero, that seems to be the radio and most of the interior stuff, including power locks, keyless entry, etc. The 10 amp fuse is for the radio, the 15 amp fuse is for the other stuff.

The IOD fuse is contained in a yellow casing. It took me forever to figure out what to do with this, but it's not that complicated.

When the casing is in the down position, it's not possible to pull the individual fuses. Here's how the casing looks in the down position.

View attachment 731944

To pull the fuses, you first have to pull the whole yellow casing up. The first time I did this it seemed stuck, so I had to use a couple of pliers on both ends to pull it up. Now I can pull it up just by hand.

View attachment 731945

The idea is that pulling up the whole thing disables all IOD circuits, which is handy if you're going to leave the car sitting.

Once the yellow casing is up, you can pull the individual fuses just like you normally would.

View attachment 731946
Always wondered why that yellow casing was there. Thanks for the info.

pwjazz

Okay, this was a productive weekend!
  • Changed front differential oil (the old stuff was a nasty grayish green and smelled awful, not sure if that's expected after so many miles(?))
  • Changed transmission fluid (this is a useful video guide on that)
  • Replaced front right fender liner (old one had a big hole cut in the front from PO). These are the correct size replacement clips. This job took quite a bit longer than I though, since lining up the new liner with all the clips and holes is a bit tedious.
  • Replaced the front grill clips to tighten up grill
  • Replaced torn right front tie rod boot (the old brittle one tore during the last alignment) and tweaked my alignment while I was in there (tracks better in a straight line now)
  • Got the Montero washed, including the underbody
  • Installed front, oil pan, transmission and transfer case Boo's bash plates from Luso Overland
  • Retrofitted an OEM cabin air filter from Luso Overland (and yes, the Montero already smells better inside!)
A note on the cabin air filter - after cutting an opening for the filter, I noticed that a lot of dust and dirt had accumulated on the blower fan. I wasn't able to completely remove the blower from below, but I was able to open it up enough to get my vacuum's crevasse tool in there and suck out a good bit of the dirt. I suspect that if I had simply installed a filter without first doing some cleaning, the results would have been less impressive.

front.jpg

bottom.jpg

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

pwjazz

Ahh, the learning continues. I took Klaus through the car wash the other day, and ended up with a bunch of water under the passenger side dash, including on some of the wiring harnesses over there?!

Well, a day later, I shift into reverse and am greeted with a loud clunk and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. OBD scanner shows a code P1751, which supposedly means there's an issue with the A/T Control Relay. I'm thinking to myself "oh ********, I just changed the tranny fluid last week, did I screw something up?" or alternately "********, did the leak fry my transmission control module or ECU?". So, I take it to a transmission shop, which is interesting because the tranny's in limp mode and stayed in 3rd gear the whole time. Side note - the Montero has good torque, as driving around in 3rd didn't really seem to phase it.

Anyway, the mechanic checks it out, turns out I just had a blown fuse, probably from the leak. Of course I'm kicking myself for having had the smarts to think it might be an electrical issue from the leak, but not enough smarts to check my darned fuse box ?‍♂️

Now the question is, what's up with that leak? My best guess right now is maybe a clogged sunroof drain in the A-pillar.

20220825_160228.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Now the question is, what's up with that leak? My best guess right now is maybe a clogged sunroof drain in the A-pillar.

This is a good place to start...it's a relatively common issue, especially if the rig is, or has been, parked under trees or brush.

Cheers

pwjazz

This is a good place to start...it's a relatively common issue, especially if the rig is, or has been, parked under trees or brush.

Cheers

Well, I poured water in the drain tray of the sunroof, and it flowed out the bottom of the drain just fine. So I guess the next thing to check is seams around the passenger footwell. I did just change the fender liner, maybe it has something to do with that...

pwjazz

Klaus and I went wheeling for the first time today. I visited Kansas Rocks park for their Offroading 101 course. It's a privately owned, non-profit, park with some cool people running the show and giving instruction today. If anyone is out in Kansas and looking for a good mix of beginner up to much more challenging trails, it's definitely worth checking this place out.

Here's what I learned today:
  • Being able to follow people who know what they're doing and helped keep me out of trouble gave me a ton more confidence than I could have worked up on my own.
  • Klaus was surprisingly capable, especially the ground clearance down the centerline surprised me. I went over rocks and into deep ruts that I wouldn't have expected to be able to, without a scratch on the skid plates.
  • As expected, the running boards got damaged. I've been waiting forever for some sliders from Rocky Road and they sure would have been useful
  • I expected departure angle to be a problem, and sure enough it was. I dragged my hitch several times and bent my trailer wiring plug pretty badly.
  • I've heard complaints about touchy throttle on Monteros. In 1st gear in 4 Lo, it is indeed very hard to modulate. Most of the time, 2nd gear was torquey enough and much easier to modulate. Towards the end of the day, I started getting the hang of left-foot breaking, which allowed me to modulate acceleration in 1st gear pretty well--useful on steeper hills.
  • Running in a group with a bunch of Jeeps, I got a case of articulation jealousy. I definitely put the occasional wheel in the air, and off camber sections were somewhat pucker inducing.
  • The electronic traction control kind of works, but it requires letting the wheels spin for a while, something the proprietors don't like (rutting and all that) plus it's pretty disconcerting when the tires finally hook up and Klaus shoots forward!
  • I bought Klaus for overlanding/dispersed camping, and running in a 4 wheeling park was a great way to get familiar with his performance and start to learn some skills. This kind of platform definitely doesn't seem made for "wheeling" in the Jeep sense, and that's okay, because I'm more interested in where I can get to than what technical challenges I can conquer. I have a feeling I'll come back here occasionally for the company and to keep working on my skills, but I don't have a burning desire to tackle harder obstacles.
wheeling.jpeg

pwjazz

Well, there's always something else. The Montero still doesn't seem to be running quite right, so I decided to do a smoke test on the manifold. This was my first time doing this, but I think it was successful. I saw smoke, and what appeared to be oil (maybe condensed mineral oil from the smoke machine) seeping out of what I think is the intake manifold plenum gasket(?) right below the intake manifold tuning valve assembly (I didn't even know this was a thing!).

vacuum_leak.jpeg

Now I just need to figure how that thing is attached and if I have to disassemble the whole manifold or what.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94