Knife thread

CSG

Explorer
I recently bought the redesigned Benchmade Bugout 535BK2 during a member's sale at REI. I had a $10 dividend that I applied as well so the cost was $113 shipped including my state's sales tax. These are light knives (1.8 oz.!) designed for backpackers and hikers. I normally have carried a Mini-Griptilian as an EDC for 10-11 years but this one is lighter, carries more easily, and the larger size fits my hand better. Very slim profile. Not for heavy duty use IMO but none of the knives I've EDC'd are designed for batoning, etc.
535bk_bugout.png
One month update: For my uses/needs, this sucker is awesome ! I also acquired shortly after this one, a Benchmade Mini-Presidio from Benchmade directly. Even though I have long been out of LE, they still gave me a 30% LE discount. The Mini-Presidio is like a mid-size Griptilian in it's design. Very, very nice folder with a heavier blade and handle. Between my old Bucks, the Grip and Mini-Grips, as well as these two recent acquisitions (not to mention the too many SAKs I own). I think I'm set for the rest of my days. I also have a number of fixed blades for heavier use. The Bugout is an absolutely perfect blade for carrying in town along with my SAK Executive (which, honestly, I use far more often than a large blade).

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Well, my NOC DG-04 finally arrived from China the other day. Just shy of two months, which they tell me isn't bad. Not available from a US retailer right now.
But I wanted a camp kitchen folder, something with a slightly curved belly, handle well above the blade, and long enough for decent food prep.
And I wanted as many bells and whistles as I could find.

The DG-04 has decent steel, 440C. Not the latest/greatest but it wasn't all that long ago that Benchmade was using it a lot. Sharpens easily enough, holds an edge, doesn't stain much, doesn't rust.
The blade is 4" and rides on buttery-smooth caged ball bearings with a dieselpunk bezel around them. The detente is strong enough that when you flip the tab it pops to life with a very satisfying "snick" that you can hear from the next room. Drops closed so readily that I'd compare it to a guillotine, & no lock-stick (liner lock @ ~ 40% engagement).
Scales are G-10 with carbon fiber overlay, long enough for all four of my super-sized digits but narrow enough to keep that blade free to hit a cutting board.
Most of the back is open, ending with a G-10 spacer. No lanyard loop. Pocket clip is discreet for a knife of this size and overly tight -- will need to work that out a bit.
The blade's primary bevel is tall --- the top has a stonewashed finish to hide prints. Secondary bevel isn't shiny-sharp but it's plenty slicey and shaves without any irritation. Pronounced finger/sharpening choil completes the package.

NOC.DG-04.1.jpgNOC.DG-04.2.jpgNOC.DG-04.3.jpgNOC.DG-04.4.jpgNOC.DG-04.5.jpg

WSS

Rock Stacker
The bottom folder is one I made in '99. I retired it last Christmas when my wife bought me a Chris Reeve sebenza. The top is a early Elishewitz and the middle is an early Maxwell.

The Sebenza, very nice knife, sturdy and operates like silk.

Last edited:

WSS

Rock Stacker
Welcome Bob! You just lost your anonymity, LOL. I have admired your work often. I particularly enjoy your file work. BEAUTIFUL!

It has been years since I have made a folder. I am looking to slow down a bit and jump back in. I kept all my equipment. Still have billets of damascus from the mid 90's! Remember ATS-34? I have a few bars of that in 1/8" too.

Welcome Bob! You just lost your anonymity, LOL. I have admired your work often. I particularly enjoy your file work. BEAUTIFUL!

It has been years since I have made a folder. I am looking to slow down a bit and jump back in. I kept all my equipment. Still have billets of damascus from the mid 90's! Remember ATS-34? I have a few bars of that in 1/8" too.

Thanks. Funny that you mention my filework; I try so hard to avoid doing it. I'm not going to spend too much time here in the knife thread. I've got an overland rig I'm trying to get on the road. I'll pop back in occasionally; hope to see some of your work.

Bob

Reactions: WSS

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks. Funny that you mention my filework; I try so hard to avoid doing it. I'm not going to spend too much time here in the knife thread. I've got an overland rig I'm trying to get on the road. I'll pop back in occasionally; hope to see some of your work.

Bob
....my birthday is coming up..... .....loving that Damascus folder.....

[/hint.off]

180521_Bob_Ohlemann_006small.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I need a good camp knife to cut vegetables, especially potatoes, without a cutting knife. This one may make it a bit difficult given it is so thick but I may try it anyway.
It's a great blade, super slicey, holds its edge. But I only paid $54 for for it. I'd wait for the price to drop.
Aus10 is decent steel but not $90 steel.
It is pretty though...

Modeler

W1DCS
Built a couple knives over the last few weeks. Nothing special or on the level of most here, still have lots to learn, I've never had patience for wood.

Tanto inspired
IMG_0644.jpgIMG_0645.jpgIMG_0646.jpg

Tried to make the sheath look a little distressed. Looks better in person than in photos. LOL
IMG_0655.jpgIMG_0656.jpgIMG_0657.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles