Kumho AT51s, LT vs P???

ADDvanced

Hi, I'm thinking about picking up some Kumho AT51s. Had them on my last truck and loved them. However, in 235/75/15, they offer an LT vs a P.

Now, in all the GENERIC LT vs P discussion on the internet, they say P can't go offroad. But this is an all terrain tire.

There are the specs. It says the LT and P are the exact same weight, yet the LT has deeper tread. Are the sidewalls any different? If so, how can they weigh the same?

Shovel

Explorer
I think Kumho might be doing something a bit unique compared to other tires that offer both a P and a LT in the same size. Like the service description for the non-LT is 109T which means 2271lbs up to 118mph while the LT is 104/101R which means 1984/1819lb (single/dual) up to 106mph.

So the conjecture I would make is that the non-LT models have larger flotation sidewalls which likely reduce road noise and improve comfort but would not be acceptable in dual configuration due to potential interference at standard spacing. Based on the service descriptions and weight, there may be no useful conclusion we can draw about their toughness against off-road hazards or treadwear (as it's possible they have different compounds or subtly different tread geometry as well)

I have compared other tires in the past which offered LT and P in the same size, but have always seen a meaningful difference in weight between them and the easy conclusion was always more material is probably better where absolute durability is the objective.

It may be best to ask Kumho directly but with the awareness that many companies are neither equipped nor eager to offer the satisfaction of a deep technical answer to queries like that.

ADDvanced

If they aren't willing to answer these questions I'm not sure how they expect consumers to make informed choices.

Shovel

Explorer
Only way to find that out is to ask them - let us know what you find out?

Also we need to ask McDonalds about the calories in their cheese slices, like if you get a mcdouble with no cheese or a double cheeseburger with no cheese they are identical and have 330 calories but if you add one slice of cheese to the mcdouble it adds 60 calories, while if you add two slices of cheese to make it a double cheeseburger it adds just110 calories. Where do the extra 10 calories go?

ADDvanced

I called them and the lady answered was just a customer service rep and didn't know anything. She said she'd connect me to a technical person, and then it rang a few times then disconnected.