Lady Godiva: 2017 Ram 3500 CCLB Build

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
That Thuren link is as clear as it gets. CJC offroad has a Youtube video on trimming for 37s. if you really want zero trimming, you'd have to stick to 35s and not go too wide. 305s will rub the control arms and sway bars on stock offset rims. My 295/65r20s did on the stock rims.

My 315/70r18s (36x13) on +18 offset Methods don't rub the metal but i did have to slightly trim the rear plastic. If you go to 0 offset you will definitely have to trim plastic.

NORDFORD

I hate to say it, but I agree with your wife...?. Cool ideas, great upgrades on critical components, but it is lacking a cool look for sure!

Explorerinil

Observer
Getting the right offset rim you can clear a 35 or metric equivalent. Call CJC off-road, I think a set of method NV HD rims in 18 inch and a set of nittto exo grappler AWT might be a good option for you since you have an in bed camper and probably want stability.

Adventurous

Explorer
Fine fine, you guys win. Just ordered some 285/75R17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT tires and a set of flat black AEV Salta rims. Won't be installing them any time soon, but they'll be waiting for me when I get back. Should be adequately tall and skinny enough to avoid trimming and rubbing.

I was a little hesitant to move down to 17s since a lot of the non-37" tires only have ~3,200 lbs worth of capacity, but that is below where I am now with this camper, and certainly below where I'll be after this trip concludes.

Long term plan is to move to something like a 4 wheel camper instead, so I should have plenty of margin with that setup.

Adventurous

Explorer
Will OEM 17” rims handle the 285/75/17? I want no rub.

No personal experience with that size, but googling, and the fact that my wider and larger diameter 295/70R18 fit and just kiss the sway bar and radius arm, lead me to believe that the 285/75R17 should fit without rubbing on OEM rims. In reality the 285s are only .5" larger in diameter and width than the stock tires, so I can't imagine they wouldn't be fine.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Those are going to fit fine but they are going to look really small...

Also, I hate to tell you this but, they don't have close to enough load capacity for your truck. ESPECIALLY carrying a camper.

They are only rated at 3195 each. Your stock tires were well over 3500 and your rear axle weight rating requires AT LEAST 3500# each to cover the 7000# rating. You need to chose another tire. There isn't really any 17" tire other than a 37 that has enough load capacity for a 3500. That's why most of us run 18s.

Adventurous

Explorer

Also, I hate to tell you this but, they don't have close to enough load capacity for your truck. ESPECIALLY carrying a camper.

They are only rated at 3195 each. Your stock tires were well over 3500 and your rear axle weight rating requires AT LEAST 3500# each to cover the 7000# rating. You need to chose another tire. There isn't really any 17" tire other than a 37 that has enough load capacity for a 3500. That's why most of us run 18s.

You know what, you are right. I've been having heartburn over the decision since I clicked order, but I think I've come back to 18" tires. While I'm not sure I'll ever get close to 7K on the rear axle, or even the 6,400 afforded by the 17s, its probably best to have the capacity and not need it as opposed to not having the capacity and needing it.

That said, the dry weight of the camper is only 2,400 lbs. Figure another 350 for a full water tank, 250 lbs worth of stuff, and maybe another 300 of misc for a total weight of 3,300 lbs. Add the 2,900 from the factory and I'm sitting at 6,200 lbs. So not that I wouldn't have some margin, I just wouldn't have a whole lot.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Good decision. With a +18-25 offset wheel you won't rub at all with any 35. I'd run the 285/75r18s, 295/70r18s or 305/70r18s and call it a day. As a matter of fact, when my Toyos wear out in a few months I'm moving to a 305/70r18. The Toyo MTs are just too loud and I don't want to regear to make 37s work with my 7500# camper.

Also, with the higher capacity of the 18s you'll be able to run 50F and 40R when empty for a really nice ride. That won't be an option with those 17s.

Boz

Observer

The 35x12.5r17 Toyo MT has a 3640 capacity but not everyone wants to run an M/T.

Adventurous

Explorer
The 35x12.5r17 Toyo MT has a 3640 capacity but not everyone wants to run an M/T.
Good catch. They just get so darn loud on trips.

Pretty sure I've sworn off MTs at this point. While they may offer the best traction off road, I can't stand the noise and poor performance in the rain/snow on road. I think I'd rather have to bust out the winch or maxtrax more often as opposed to try and unwrap myself from around a telephone poll. Nope, no more for me, unless I can afford another set of wheels. It's an AT from here on out, especially since I wont be doing any serious mud or offloading in this rig, just the usual fire roads and mining roads that make up the bulk of "overlanding".

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Agreed, as much as I really want to believe that a set of STT Pros will be quieter than the Toyo MTs, they probably wont. Looks like the 305/70r18 ST Maxx is in my future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior