Lag bolt length for tent stakes

Superduty

Adventurer
3/8" x 10" Spax bolts and get thick fender washers for them.
This is exactly what i use. Doubt you will ever see me pounding a stake again. The lag bolts were a great purchase. I bring my Mikwaukee 18v impact gun and they go into the ground easily and come out easily.

The impact can be used to remove and install a wheel if needed.

I'm sure it's obvious and mentioned above, they don't work in sand or on flat concrete or slab granite.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

roving1

I find the fluted stakes so much harder to drive in rocky areas. Skinny metal stakes for hard dirt and sand screw type for every thing else. I used to use 8" lags but am trying to get away from bringing power tools and dirt really froze to the lags way more than any other kind of anchor making them an absolute pita in cold temps to get out and keep clean.

Davidsypes

This thread is the reason why I have a whole bin full of all kinds of different stakes - there is no ONE perfect stake - too much depends on the kind of earth you're trying to secure into.

The stakes I use most often are perfect for the coarse sand of my local deserts and our fine beachfront sand, but would be useless in hard-pack soil, and conversely lag bolts or even 12" nails wouldn't do squat in loose sand.

In case there are people who haven't seen these: <$2 each is hard to beat if you camp in sand at all:
View attachment 591642
Can you please provide the manufacturer of those yellow tent pegs pictured here?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Can you please provide the manufacturer of those yellow tent pegs pictured here?

Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/10-in-Plastic-Stake-4150/202087431

These are usually stocked in/near the building supplies section (lumber, fencing, etc.), but the HD website will usually tell you aisle/bay number for your local store. I think mine are 8", not sure if HD still sells the shorter ones or only the 10" models now.

They also list a slightly longer one with a head that takes a line through it, apparently for landscaping use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-11-in-Orange-Plastic-Ground-Stake-65555/202957462.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I'm not sure I'd want to rely on a drill to drive stakes but I see no harm in having multiple tools in the quiver. I just don't find hammering stakes to be all that hard or time consuming. For general Springbar use, I have these. They are way better than the Coughlin ones that have been littering campsites all over the world with little bits of green retainer tops. All steel, bulletproof with a welded tab: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075N6TMGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep some big aluminum sand stakes from Springbar that I mostly use for beach anchors on my kayak but their stake hammer and steel forged stakes are really nice too:
https://springbar.com/collections/stakes-hammers

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Since larger tents have been mentioned I thought I'd mention the Snow Peak steel stakes and hammer system. The SP stakes are super strong and have several different attachment points but, the unique part is the "hole" and the hammer's spike end. Trying to pull out a stake can sometimes be very difficult due too the suction effect of the soil it's in. By placing the spiked end of the SP hammer into the hole on the stake and twisting will break the suction and lifting with the handle and lanyard and the stake comes right out.
Our experience during large events and having to stake down a venders tent (due to the wind gusts at events....) into packed dirt, packed gravel and even asphalt, these SP stakes hammer right in and pull right out with the SP hammer. No batteries needed....?

3E004B2C-36F5-418A-BB36-503CD19239A7.jpeg4237296E-365A-492A-BB56-724F5410A182.jpeg05209152-3662-4914-9F7F-ADA294C36FFE.jpeg

(At this OE event we had to sandbag and stake the tent due too the open field wind gusts.....)

Last edited:

tatanka48

for tent or hammock camping i have found the MSR GroundHogs work quite well for "normal" soil

the lesser quality/price look alike units have failed w/o too much pressure

msr groundhog stake.jpg

for soft sand or snow the MSR Blizzard stakes usually serve really well

there are le$$ expensive ones butt i followed my experience w/ the GroundHogs

msr blizzard stakes.jpg

and i learned the hard way that when camping on Key West 12" galvanized bridge nails are just about the only things that can be driven into the coral island

get 'em at the local Home Depot for a couple buck$/ea

3:8%22 x 12%22 galvanized.jpg

BON CHANCE

"T"

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Since larger tents have been mentioned I thought I'd mention the Snow Peak steel stakes and hammer system. The SP stakes are super strong and have several different attachment points but, the unique part is the "hole" and the hammer's spike end. Trying to pull out a stake can sometimes be very difficult due too the suction effect of the soil it's in. By placing the spiked end of the SP hammer into the hole on the stake and twisting will break the suction and lifting with the handle and lanyard and the stake comes right out.
Our experience during large events and having to stake down a venders tent (due to the wind gusts at events....) into packed dirt, packed gravel and even asphalt, these SP stakes hammer right in and pull right out with the SP hammer. No batteries needed....?

View attachment 635413View attachment 635414

Kind of makes my old Coghlan's mallet from Kmart look homely but it still works!

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Yeah find that these type of stakes work really well. They are aluminum so the don’t rust and are reasonably lightweight. Angle them away from the guided area for best results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne