Lance with water damage...

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I have an older Lance 8' cabover that is showing signs of water damage. Some side skin bulges and water stains around the upper bunk windows. Was wondering how much of a job it would be to take of the siding and rebuild the inner wood frame work. My biggest concern is getting off the siding with out damage. Any pointers on how to get it off? Or should I just skip it and let it rot? :Wow1:

stevec

Adventurer
If the siding is okay (i.e. you aren't going to replace it), try going at it from the inside. We had a couple of leaks on our camper over the beds, and the siding on the driver's side bulged out a bit. It wasn't too hard to pull the cabinets and walls out from the inside, rip out the rotten stuff, refit the siding, seal it, check it for leaks (thunderstorms are great for this, but are rare in the PNW), then rebuild the wall from the inside. The cabinets are great for hiding seams in the wallpaper - I just cut it where the edge of the cabinets would hide the cut, then glued it back on when I was done rebuilding the wall.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Oh wow, Never thought about going inside out... Humm Im going to have to look at that more closely now. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

rotti

Adventurer
Reading those threads scared the hell out of me of owning wood framed campers. I'm sure maintenance and caulking is key - but I'll stick with the aluminum framed FWC. Mine served me well for many years.

I hope your issues are minor compared to those. Please keep us updated on what you find.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Yep, like most forums, if you read them you will shortly be convinced that whatever vehicle/camper you have is the worst thing ever made.

My Lance is a 2002 model and unfortunately has spent it's whole life outside and only a couple of those years were under a fabric cover. No runs, no leaks no problems in all that time. Plus mine has over 55k miles on it. Has been to the tip of Baja three times, Prudhoe Bay, AK and every state west of the Mississippi (except for the Dakotas), so it has had the crap used out of it.

Not sure how I have been so lucky, but for now I'm good (of course I have jinxed myself).:ylsmoke:

To the OP, if you can repair it from the inside out, that is probably best, the outside material is extremely thin and easy to bend. We tried to replace a panel that had been hit by a tree limb. I'm pretty sure the replacement looks almost as bad as the one we replaced. :victory:

Jack

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Oh, Im not complaining. Its been well used and I love the thought that I can ding it up or scratch it with out guilt. LOL Id just hate to have the over head bed break off some night and end up on the hood of the truck. Humm, wonder if that has ever happened?

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
So is there a way to check the integredy of the inner wood structure?. For some reason I can visualize the worst... dont know why, just the negitave side of me I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles