Land Cruiser converts, please weigh in on your post-conversion thoughts

When i had my 03' G500 it was great when it was not in the shop for various stuff... we also had a LC100 at that point to bail out to..
that said my wife wants another G - and i'm fine with that since i'll take the 200 series and when needed bail out to the Defender (which is my daily driver now).

A modern Gas G-wagon is going to be a bit of work, a nice <Edit> Turbo </> Diesel earlier one would be more reliable IMHO..

depends on what you want to do..

if it were me, i'd buy a 200 series LC and not think about it for a couple of hundred thousand miles other than normal maintenance.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
When i had my 03' G500 it was great when it was not in the shop for various stuff... we also had a LC100 at that point to bail out to..
that said my wife wants another G - and i'm fine with that since i'll take the 200 series and when needed bail out to the Defender (which is my daily driver now).

A modern Gas G-wagon is going to be a bit of work, a nice <Edit> Turbo </> Diesel earlier one would be more reliable IMHO..

depends on what you want to do..

if it were me, i'd buy a 200 series LC and not think about it for a couple of hundred thousand miles other than normal maintenance.
Bit of work how on a modern G?

For the prices of the LC200's still(used), you can get a clean G500 and pocket some money.

said from experience or here say?
15+ Years of reading the g stories on the internet. Never owned one. Would like to just don’t have free time to deal with possible down time. Maybe one day I will take the leap. We have a had a 2000 MB Wagon and have 2008 MB Wagon and they have been alot of work to keep on the road.

Which one are you buying? Are you going to wheel it? I want a 1991 250GD Wolf.

What year UZJ100 are you coming out of?

Last edited:
15+ Years of reading the g stories on the internet. Never owned one. Would like to just don’t have free time to deal with possible down time. Maybe one day I will take the leap. We have a had a 2000 MB Wagon and have 2008 MB Wagon and they have been alot of work to keep on the road.

Which one are you buying? Are you going to wheel it? I want a 1991 250GD Wolf.

What year UZJ100 are you coming out of?

I am going to buy whatever I can afford when the time comes. I am still a couple years out, as we just bought a new Sienna for our growing family and the 100 is paid off.

I plan to "wheel" it but not like I did my 80. The 80 was a great platform but jack of all trades. In the future I will probably buy a capable daily and maybe build a crawler for those needs. Additionally I founded and run a non profit that currently focuses on taking veterans mountain biking, but plan to expand several years down the road to all types of outdoor activities, so I don't need anything ridiculous. I don't even know if it would be a long term rig, I kind of just want to own one for a bit, and then get back to Toyota in a 200.

I am coming from a 2000 UZJ, '97 80 on 37"s before that, tacoma etc etc.

I sold my LC 60 in 2007 and bought a new G500. I loved the G500 and it was very capable in all conditions. Owning it for 10 years, it only needed a LR window regulator replaced ($930) which seemed expensive. The other issue was routine dealer service (every other service) was $900.00. The reason I went back to a LC (100) was the tailgate on the LC which I really missed while traveling/camping. The lack of a tailgate on the G500 was a constant annoyance. One other thing that I noticed was that the LC is much better received by most people who often were obviously envious/resentful of a "wealthy" G500 owner.

Attachments