Land Cruiser converts, please weigh in on your post-conversion thoughts

uzj100

Adventurer
You can always send a sample of oil to blackstone and they can analyze it for you. The 2uzj in the 100 is vey easy oil.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Great write-up!

Both my wife and I are looking at G500s to replace her car eventually. She is actually pretty set on getting a G and who am I to argue with her :sombrero:? No complaints from my end. I have always liked them as well. I'm here lurking doing my initial research.

I'm planning on keeping our 100-series until the wheels fall off, so hopefully I'll be able to do a write-up on a G and 100. Although the 80/G is a a closer comparison.

Thanks for the insight!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I talked about this very question with the service manager last time I was at the dealer and shooting the breeze. Apparently the G500 has a good filtration system. I only have the dealer change the oil. So what ever synthetic they are putting in it I suppose that is the recommended oil. As far as the oil breaking down, I am not sure that is the case because it is the particulates and heat that break down the oil and that is what the sensor measures. I know some of the Cummins guys that will go 50K between oil changes when the FS-2500 bypass filter installed. Would I go 30K miles between changes, no. Does the G500 have an FS-2500 in place, no. But it just goes to show that proper filtration can increasing the longevity of the engine oil. I live the second driest stat in the union so and do a lot freeway driving. This definitely helps increase oil change intervals.

My Jetta TDI is the same way. Oil change intervals are 10-15K miles. I think the new 2013 Cummins is at 15K mile intervals, up from 7.5K last year.

Sorry for taking this OT a bit, but it's important stuff...
They are most likely using Mobil1 0w40 since Mobil is factory fill for Mercedes. As you may or may not know, Mobil REALLY dumbed down their chemistry of US oil after they lost the legal suit with Castrol. M1 isn't what it used to be, and you're going to see it in bearing wear in your engine over time if you're following the dealer's ridiculous 10-15k intervals.

Thankfully we're not talking about a DI(direction injection car) as this is where extended drain intervals really cause major carbon issues.
"The longer the oil is in the engine, the more the additive package[in the oil chemistry] breaks down, resulting in more possible oil vapors to build up. It's a direct correlation with degrading oil quality resulting in more vapor. In other words, there is a direct correlation with the varnish and oil film residue on the engine surfaces with the amount of oil vapors that have entered the PCV system. The NOACK rating is a good determining factor for new oil. Fuel dilution is also another component for oil to vaporize."

The BG additives are a proactive approach to keep the deposits from building up as quickly or even at all. We use the BG MOA added to engine oil, suggested on every oil change. Here's some info on the MOA; BG MOA(110) cleaner; Prevents oxidation and thickening of engine oil under even the most severe stop-and-go, high temperature conditions. Fortifies all qualities of engine oil to provide superior long-lasting engine protection and helps maintain optimum engine performance. Keeps piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and engine components clean to extend engine life. Can help with stuck cam adjusters. Compatible with both synthetic and petroleum-base oils. Thin Film Oxidation Uptake Test (TFOUT) proves BG MOA's remarkable resistance to oxidation by more than 200% longer than six major brands of quality engine oil. Add one 11oz can($11.90) to engine oil.

"Sulfuric acid is a by-product of combustion and builds in the crankcase resulting in degrading oil quality and ph. MOA has a very high TBN(total base number) to protect the oil from the acids, resulting in longer serviceable oil."

Figure 2 here is pretty useful;
fig_2_oil_life_cycle.jpg
http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_degradation.htm

Same with the TDi's Castrol that is used(factory fill for VW). It's actually worse than M1 as far as chemistry--much much lower quality additive package and such. I would definitely not go 10-15k on the TDi, especially with the major soot buildup in the intake manifold which we see often. The quicker the oil breaks down, the longer the oil change interval, the more soot = less power/MPG.

Just my $0.04.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
4D55, it seems I have struck a passionate talking point of yours :)

Your comparison of the G to the 80 seems honest, although I might disagree with a few of your points on the 80, it could also be my general bias towards Toyota talking.

My objective in considering the G was to find a vehicle that has the reliability, capability, and character of an 80/100 hybrid. I really believe in the 80 platform, but it is lacking in power and comfort for tall people. Unfortunately when Toyota corrected those issues in the 100, they gave up the character that was found in the 80. I do believe reliability on both of these cruiser platforms to be superb, and you'll have a hard time convincing me otherwise based on personal experience.

At the end of the day, I think the G is a vehicle worthy of my consideration, and I need to get my hands on one to really give it a hard look.

hoser

Explorer
Been running 35" tires on my G with a simple 30mm spring spacer lift coming up on 40k on the odo with very frequent off-highway driving and no problems. Minor rubbing in the wheel wells on extreme articulation (for a G, anyway) and on hard right turns. Never noticed any twitchy-ness when I "embiggened" the tires or put on the lift. Tracks true, and for a refrigerator going down the highway, no different than driving previous Land Rovers I've owned (except for the G's ample power).
Which year G do you have? From what I've read, fitting 35's on a 2002+ makes the traction/skid control electronics go crazy with no easy work around. The correct differential gears seemed a bit difficult to obtain on the 463's. Any insight on this?

4D55, it seems I have struck a passionate talking point of yours :)

Your comparison of the G to the 80 seems honest, although I might disagree with a few of your points on the 80, it could also be my general bias towards Toyota talking.

My objective in considering the G was to find a vehicle that has the reliability, capability, and character of an 80/100 hybrid. I really believe in the 80 platform, but it is lacking in power and comfort for tall people. Unfortunately when Toyota corrected those issues in the 100, they gave up the character that was found in the 80. I do believe reliability on both of these cruiser platforms to be superb, and you'll have a hard time convincing me otherwise based on personal experience.

At the end of the day, I think the G is a vehicle worthy of my consideration, and I need to get my hands on one to really give it a hard look.

When I was shopping to replace my Montero, I was dead set on getting a 100 series because of the very issues you had mentioned that existed with the 80 series cruisers. Power is lacking and space is tight for big people. When it comes to space I wasn't so concerned about myself in the 80, it was for my kids in the back seat. Other things like the lack of rear heat and AC also made it not so kid friendly. For those reasons I was dead set on getting a 100 series. So I took some test drives and I was not impressed with the 100 series because it felt more like a Sequoia than a Land Cruiser. All the rugged charm was gone. That same dealer also had a 2009 Lexus GX470 and I was more impressed with GX than I was with the 100 series i had test driven. It felt a lot more like the 80 series but with a lot more power. It was like a rocket ship. The GX still had the space issue so the dealer recommended I try the G500 because the G500 had power and off-road prowess. I had always loved the look of the G500 and I knew they were offroad monsters but I had know idea they were so affordable. After my first test drive I was hooked. I loved that it was small and nimble, but roomy. The power was definitely noticeable. At the time was awestruck with power of the G500 but the more I drive it the more I am able to notice the differences between the G500 and the 80 Series. I wish I had more input on the 100 series but I don't and don't want to mislead you. I do know the 2003 G500 has 60-70 more hp than the 2003 100 series.

I know there are lots of decisions and great rides out there. If the GX was bigger it would have been a great option for me and my family. I can see why it won 4wheeler of the year.

At heart I will always be a Toyota guy. I just sold my 2005 Duramax this week so I can get myself a Toyota Tundra. I can't stand how cheaply built the GMC truck was. At first I thought I would just live with it, but after owning it for 5 months I was sick of the cheap plastic. I haven't had any reliability issues with the 2005 Duramax, it's just a build quality thing for me. Toyota's are great vehicles but it's hard to compete with a vehicle that is as over built as the G-class.

uzj100

Adventurer
This thread really has me thinking that the g could replace my 100 one day. I would like the additional power and the trim pack lift. And it would be something different. I have owned/driven my 100 longer than other car I have ever had. 6 years and 100k miles so far.

The rear barn door Is the biggest concern. I sit/use the 100 tailgate all the time. We always take the 100 to sporting events because of the tailgate. Also, the upper hatch keeps me dry when it's raining out.

Two products popped in my mind that could possibly be used on the g. One invented and one I have never seen.

The side pop up windows.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/wagongear/6...tallation-instructions-production-thread.html

Rear rain cover

What if there was a cover that deployed when the rear door was opened on the g. It would attach to rear rain gutter and the top of the door and fan out when the door was opened. Just a thought.

Thoughts on door vs tailgate. Thanks for all the great g info.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
When I was shopping to replace my Montero, I was dead set on getting a 100 series because of the very issues you had mentioned that existed with the 80 series cruisers. Power is lacking and space is tight for big people. When it comes to space I wasn't so concerned about myself in the 80, it was for my kids in the back seat. Other things like the lack of rear heat and AC also made it not so kid friendly. For those reasons I was dead set on getting a 100 series. So I took some test drives and I was not impressed with the 100 series because it felt more like a Sequoia than a Land Cruiser. All the rugged charm was gone. That same dealer also had a 2009 Lexus GX470 and I was more impressed with GX than I was with the 100 series i had test driven. It felt a lot more like the 80 series but with a lot more power. It was like a rocket ship. The GX still had the space issue so the dealer recommended I try the G500 because the G500 had power and off-road prowess. I had always loved the look of the G500 and I knew they were offroad monsters but I had know idea they were so affordable. After my first test drive I was hooked. I loved that it was small and nimble, but roomy. The power was definitely noticeable. At the time was awestruck with power of the G500 but the more I drive it the more I am able to notice the differences between the G500 and the 80 Series. I wish I had more input on the 100 series but I don't and don't want to mislead you. I do know the 2003 G500 has 60-70 more hp than the 2003 100 series.

I know there are lots of decisions and great rides out there. If the GX was bigger it would have been a great option for me and my family. I can see why it won 4wheeler of the year.

At heart I will always be a Toyota guy. I just sold my 2005 Duramax this week so I can get myself a Toyota Tundra. I can't stand how cheaply built the GMC truck was. At first I thought I would just live with it, but after owning it for 5 months I was sick of the cheap plastic. I haven't had any reliability issues with the 2005 Duramax, it's just a build quality thing for me. Toyota's are great vehicles but it's hard to compete with a vehicle that is as over built as the G-class.

It's comical to me how your stance on the G-class is similar to how mine has always been on 80's. Having grown up in a predominantly Jeep/GM owning family, the improvement in build quality when jumping up to the Toyota was tangible. To think, as your posts imply, that there could be another order of magnitude better is exciting.

As noted before, my mom has an '02 E320 that has that bank vault feel, but the nuisance issues are frequent and random. I love the quality of materials and fit/finish in her MB, but couldn't live with the warning lights and trouble codes all the time. Can you speak to the G-class in that respect? Has it been problem free?

And please don't bash on the Duramax's too hard, I love mine('06 CC/SB) and it has been the only vehicle I've found to have enough leg room. It doesn't have that rugged "go anywhere" dependability of a Cruiser or G, but it makes a great tow-rig for the other toys :D

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Which year G do you have? From what I've read, fitting 35's on a 2002+ makes the traction/skid control electronics go crazy with no easy work around. The correct differential gears seemed a bit difficult to obtain on the 463's. Any insight on this?

I have read some threads on the G forums that deal with this subject. I don't remember the exact tire sizes, but you can go into the computer system and tweek the gear ratios electronically to help reduce this issue. I'll see if I can find some of the threads and link them here.

koly

Observer
I have a 2000, so I don't have the traction control electric issues. Even so, many have solved the traction/stability control issues - just have to know someone with the MB STAR system who knows which submenus to explore.

I did notice a decrease in low-range gearing, but nothing that would make me think twice about the larger tires.

koly

Observer
The rear barn door Is the biggest concern. I sit/use the 100 tailgate all the time. We always take the 100 to sporting events because of the tailgate. Also, the upper hatch keeps me dry when it's raining out.
Thoughts on door vs tailgate. Thanks for all the great g info.
If you were so inclined, you could always source the tire carrier/rear door from a Cabrio G and create your own tailgate solution...Or cut the G's rear door in half and do the same thing - I can't imagine it would be that difficult for a knowledgeable shop - only problem is relocating the spare.

I did miss the tailgate from my RR classic at first, but now not at all. Also, the rear door of the G is quite a bit taller than your average door, and that extra length to the tailgate would make getting things from the cargo area more difficult. Then you'd always have to open all three things - the swing away tire carrier, the top tailgate and the bottom tailgate, which some people don't mind.

uzj100

Adventurer
That would be sweet. Good thinking.

Now the next step is convincing the wife and friends and family that the G is not rapper, basketball player or mafia persons car. I know that sounds bad but that is how some people think.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Even with the TC(Transfer Case) module trickery(pointedthree forum has the link to how to do this with the Star Diagnos or Autologic computer, you're changing two drop-down settings to try to make the truck think that it's running as close to 33's as possible...I can't remember if there is a combination for 35s, mserpe from GWagen Preserve or chris505, both on clubgwagen, could tell you as they've run 35's on a '02+ W463). I made the change to 33's and on tighter corners, my truck still tries to "keep me on the road" as it thinks I'm out of control. I've since learned to drive with two feet on curvy roads; left food brake a bit and right foot throttle. This seems to work the best as far as a the ESP light not coming on and pulsing the brakes to "control" the vehicle.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
If you were so inclined, you could always source the tire carrier/rear door from a Cabrio G and create your own tailgate solution...Or cut the G's rear door in half and do the same thing - I can't imagine it would be that difficult for a knowledgeable shop - only problem is relocating the spare.

I did miss the tailgate from my RR classic at first, but now not at all. Also, the rear door of the G is quite a bit taller than your average door, and that extra length to the tailgate would make getting things from the cargo area more difficult. Then you'd always have to open all three things - the swing away tire carrier, the top tailgate and the bottom tailgate, which some people don't mind.

Keep in mind that the Cabrio spare tire carrier requires welding in reinforcements on the interior panels(as trucks that came factory with the carrier had reinforced sheetmetal from Graz), so to do it right is a lot of work(which is why I opted to not go that route with my G500, and just keep the heavy spare on the tailgate).

Finding some sort of rear awning would be a lot less work than customizing a spare tire carrier/cargo door/etc.

uzj100, I think where you're going is some sort of accordion style fold-in fabric that would bunch together at the rear roof gutter and also attach to the top of the cargo door. Then when you open the cargo door that material would automatically fan out and cover the standing area below(ie someone standing at the cargo door entrance). I could see that working without too much trouble. Does it rain THAT much in Raleigh?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
That would be sweet. Good thinking.

Now the next step is convincing the wife and friends and family that the G is not rapper, basketball player or mafia persons car. I know that sounds bad but that is how some people think.

For this convincing, show them G's from Europe, and military G's. Many of the G's here seem to be what you say. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles