Land Rover 2.0

sinuhexavier

Explorer
It will replace 1.0, sooner or later.

At this point I'm not in love with the steel wheels or the RTE front bumper. It is currently set up on the more rock crawly side and I would like to take it to the more overlanding side. What that means exactly I'm not sure.

I think a lot of the initial changes will be taking care of the corrosion, getting what I can easily powder coat taken care of as soon as possible. I think I will take it to the National Rally pretty much as is and see what needs to be done. That will be a good trip to evaluate how it performs loaded up and what it's strengths and weaknesses are.

KevinNY

Adventurer
No need to take capability away to make it an "overlander", it's fine as is. Of course I understand wanting to make it fit your own "style", as we all like to do that.

I always get a kick out of what "corrosion" means on the west coast. You should see what my EE spring retainers look like after 6 months, up here galvanizing is the only way to go. That dry air preserves your trucks so well.

sven

Adventurer
sinuhexavier said:
Now, in my Land Rover world the 99 SD is the Holy Grail of Land Rovers. It is the last year the Discovery 1 was produced and the SD comes with full leather interior and no sunroofs.

Yeah I agree on the holy grail thing. However not all 99 SD have no roofs. In fact, my 99 SD has only one sunroof up front (weird, right?). Even have the window sticker that shows it as a $700 option.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
sven said:
Yeah I agree on the holy grail thing. However not all 99 SD have no roofs. In fact, my 99 SD has only one sunroof up front (weird, right?). Even have the window sticker that shows it as a $700 option.

Yeah, I've heard of the variations out there and maybe that's what makes them so special.

I heard a story once that they were basically just trying to get rid of all there extra stock of D1 parts and that is why some SD's come fully loaded with all the trimmings...

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Nice truck Sinuhe. What are your plans for it? If you need any fab or welding work done my dad does very good work and is very reasonably priced.

Kevin

PS Let me know when you want to come by the station and I'll set it up.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Hopefully there won't be much in the way of fab work... It's pretty much ready to go...

Yeah we need to schedule something at the firehouse, need to dive into my schedule...

Michael Slade

Untitled
sinuhexavier said:
Hopefully there won't be much in the way of fab work... It's pretty much ready to go...

Fridge, map, gas...that's all I can see that it needs. :D

Looking forward to at least one or two days at the rally...

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Unmolested interior...

2791385638_22e4505d1d_o.jpg

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Little by little getting there...

2808965272_f74ae662b7_o.jpg
Carefully removed the styrofoam under the steering column to make way for my fuse block. Rob will be proud at my careful handling of the cut.

2808965542_232776fd94_o.jpg
12 outlet fuse block mounted and ready to start wiring for the lights, fridge and inverter.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Went down to EE to mount my Superwinch today. Ho cooked some BBQ for lunch which totally slowed down the process...
2835219512_6565129580_o.jpg

2834383297_4d87a9347e_o.jpg

I did eventually get the winch on and I'm pretty pleased with the clean install, not 100% sold on the roller fairlead over the hawse, but I'm going to live with it for a while see if it grows on me. John Lee laid out a pretty good arguement as to why the roller is easier on the winch line than the hawse, but it's uglier than Mexican jail during spring break.

2834384865_af3c43c6f5_o.jpg

2835220424_53b2dee57d_o.jpg

Even had a chance to throw my rack and lights on... Now I just need to wire them...

2834385133_672b994d17_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne