Land Rover Carawagons Alaska trip

Josh

Adventurer
This last Sept two Land Rover Carawagons ('61 and '70) and their families met in Alaska for nearly a month of exploration- The '61 SII having driven up from Vancouver BC.

IMG_2809.jpg

This was a neat bridge on the drive out to the Kennicott Mine area

IMG_2935.jpg

Part of the old train tressel in the background that carried copper ore out to Cordova. An amazing undertaking for those old timers!!

IMG_2821.jpg

Root glacier in background on a not-too-common beautiful September day.

IMG_3014.jpg

Kuskalana creek trail.

hope115.jpg

hope154.jpg

More Alaska Carawagon pictures here: http://s459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/jhofoshomofo/

The Series Rovers proved a very comfortable expedition platform.

Kind regards, Josh

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Wow Josh, that looks like a great trip! Any possibility of a more detailed write up or travel log? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear more about the adventure, including the folks involved and more about the rigs!

Just the pics is kinda a tease.....:bowdown:

-H-

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Hltoppr said:
Wow Josh, that looks like a great trip! Any possibility of a more detailed write up or travel log? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear more about the adventure, including the folks involved and more about the rigs!

Just the pics is kinda a tease.....:bowdown:

-H-

I agree, let's hear more!

Thanks for the tease!

:steak:

Josh

Adventurer
Uh well, I was really hoping to just post some pictures and run- I guess you guys aren't going to let me get away with that...

About the Land Rovers:

My buddy from BC has done just a beautiful job restoring his '61 SII. For him this trip was the culmination of a 7 year restoration. Everything he's touched on that rig was done to the highest standard for reliability and comfort as an expedition vehicle. Over those 7 years he's admitted often wondering if his efforts were folly... is a old Series Rover even a viable platform? Would he pour all this money, time, and passion into a project only to put it on the road and find it miserable to drive for more than 2-3hrs at a time? After several thousand miles and living out of it for nearly a month the answer was an emphatic "Yes". He as his wife traveled in comfort and finished every day feeling fresh.

It wasn't originally a Carawagon. After considering many LR camper options he bought puzzle pieces of a Carawagon roof and built them up nicely-- another decision he's been very happy with.

Among the upgrades (that I can remember):
-Perkins 3.0 turbo diesel
-Santana gearbox
-Roverdrive
-PS conversion
-9000# Warn
-TIC parabolics/OME
-Salisbury
-A beautifully camperized interior
-Custom rear tent/side awning
-Olympian Wave 3 LP heater
-Very shower-drain looking air intake :hehe:

I couldn't keep up with the Perkins which pulled all but the steepest hills in OD, cruised comfortably at 60, and was getting somewhere around 25MPG.

You can go see some pictures of his work here-- Some of the nicest work you're likely to see on a Land Rover
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c391/lstrvr/

I bought my Carawagon about a year and a half ago and have slaved fanaticly on it ever since. Overall it's a sound rig but it needed a lot of TLC to make it ready for a trip like this. In the end it kept me, my wife, and son dry, warm, and comfortable which may be some pretty high praise for a 38 year old Land Rover.

It's an original 1970 Carawagon. Having been a 2.6 6cyl it now has the 3.0 Mercruiser conversion. 3.8 R&Ps give me OD type ratios for the road and a Suffix B transfer case brings the low range numbers down to almost exactly stock 4.7 low range. The best of both, I guess.

Anyway, I'm sitting here in my dirty coveralls now.. so I'd better get back to it. Thanks, everyone, for the interest!!

Kind regards, Josh

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Hello Josh,
Great thread and pics. Outstanding fabrication work on your front bumper.
What about more info on your diesel?
I cant get your friends link to work any chance of an update?

Regards

Jim

Last edited:

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
on my way

I just can't get enough of seeing these two old Rovers out there. thanks for posting.
I'll be heading up that way this summer. What is the ONE THING I should know?

This last Sept two Land Rover Carawagons ('61 and '70) and their families met in Alaska for nearly a month of exploration- The '61 SII having driven up from Vancouver BC.

IMG_2809.jpg

This was a neat bridge on the drive out to the Kennicott Mine area

IMG_2935.jpg

Part of the old train tressel in the background that carried copper ore out to Cordova. An amazing undertaking for those old timers!!

IMG_2821.jpg

Root glacier in background on a not-too-common beautiful September day.

IMG_3014.jpg

Kuskalana creek trail.

hope115.jpg

hope154.jpg

More Alaska Carawagon pictures here: http://s459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/jhofoshomofo/

The Series Rovers proved a very comfortable expedition platform.

Kind regards, Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior