Landcruiser (100 series) as a tow vehicle?

fireball

Explorer
Guys,

Relatively new to the site and the hobby, but hoping I can get some info and opinions. With a family of four including 2 growing kids and a large dog that is essentially a 5th family member, we've outgrown our '99 4R. Trying to decide on its replacement, either a Sequoia or a LC. We're in the $10-15k bracket, which means a '00-03 LC or a slightly newer '05-07 Sequoia.

In addition to it's uses as my wife's DD, a family camping/psuedo-expo rid, I'd like it to be able tow my '76 Bronco. Unless I spend big bucks on an AL trailer, we'd be talking 5500-6000lbs. So that puts it pretty close to the tow capacity for either vehicle, but my research shows the Sequoia with 4.7L I-Force and 5spd tranny should do just fine. How about the 100?? Anyone towing relatively decent sized loads? Towing would be a few times a year to various shows and events along the east coast. Maybe 5-6 trips per year max.

I'm torn between the 2 right now. The 100 gets the nod in off-road prowess, aftermarket support and just plain cool factor! The Sequoia would be a bit newer for the given price, have additional storage space and a much more comfortable 3rd row seating. Plus a bit better mileage than the 100.

Any thoughts or advice or opinions is welcome!

Thanks,

Ben

Riptide

Explorer
In my limited towing experience with my '05 LC, it's certainly not over-powered without a trailer, and therefore, with a trailer, it suffers a little. My towing experience with the LC has been pulling my tractor on a trailer, about 2500 lbs or so. I could use the extra ponies of the 06-07 100 series; but my '05 was too good to pass up...

My gut tells me the Sequoia would be a little better, but I have nothing to back that up.

Ghostdog

Observer
If it is going to be your wife's DD, you are best of letting her decide. Just the kind of advice you were looking for, I'm sure.

MahaloBoards

I'm in the exact predicament you are in. Our family of four with a little man in a doggie suit can no longer road trip and camp with our Tacoma so we're looking for a Landy or Sequoia. I'm leaning more towards the Sequoia simply because it'll have a little bit more room and slightly newer vehicle. We're also in the 10-15K bracket and comparing the two. I believe they are similar in tow capacity but that's not really a big concern for me... if my Tacoma pulled it, one of these could as well but I rarely pulled anything anyway. Though I have been thinking of building an off road camping trailer with a RTT because I have a Jeep CJ7 as well that carries nothing and can't pull anything heavy. I'm glad I saw your post because I now know to take the 4Runner out of my search. I figured it had 3rd row seating as well but guess it would be a little cramped back there.

hoser

Explorer
which means a '00-03 LC or a slightly newer '05-07 Sequoia.
The '00-'02 would probably be okay towing that weight on flat ground. But likely you'll have a full load with the kids, dog and gear. Plus, you might end up adding larger tires and other heavy aftermarket parts. The '03+ LC's 5 speed makes a substantial upgrade in gearing. And the LC didn't get it's next 'bump' in power till '06 with the VVTI motor.

The Sequoia received the VVTI motor a year earlier, in '05. IMO, I would suggest limiting choices between the '03+ LC or the '05-'07 Sequoia.

One more difference to consider is the LC is Full-time 4WD while the Sequoia is part-time 4WD. The ATRAC/VSC systems between the two will operate/perform differently.

fireball

Explorer
Mahalo - note that I have a 3rd generation 4R which is smaller in size and does not have 3rd row seating. I think the 4th and 5th gen 4R are about the same size as the 100 series Landcruisers.

Anyone else with experience using the 100 as a tow vehicle?

MahaloBoards

Good to know... I had a couple 4Runners I was looking at and have definitely decided to go with the Sequoia. Seems like the best fit for our family even though the gas millage is going to suck... I'm going to really miss my Tacoma.

Mahalo!
www.MahaloBoards.com

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I regularly pull a 5000# boat with our 99 LC 4speed model. I find myself hard into the throttle on grades but it does it fine. Same boat with our old 06 LC 5speed VVT motor and now we are talking. On a 7% highway grade I can get knocked down to 35mph in traffic and pull back up to 65 mph with little issue. We had a small travel trailer for a while and it seemed move the LC around more then I liked. The biggest problem I have with towing with the LC is no good mirror extensions that I have found. I would be seriously interested if anyone knows of a set that work.

fireball

Explorer
Phil, good info, thank you. You quick questions: is that 5000 pounds the boat and the trailer and loaded weight? Or just the boat ? Where are you located and what is the terrain like where you are towing?

I'm in central PA and will be towing down to Tennessee and Atlanta and likely a few trips into the Northeast; Vermont and surrounding areas.

Sounds like the 06 with the increased power would be a good choice, however the budget probably won't allow that. Also, as someone mentioned above, should probably left the wife weigh in on this decision! She would prefer the smaller size of the 100, but was disappointed when I told her the back window doesn't go down. She loves that feature on the 4runner, allows her to sneak groceries into the back without opening the liftgate and also the dog loves the view back there! Do any of the 100s have a power or remote op lift gate?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Phil, good info, thank you. You quick questions: is that 5000 pounds the boat and the trailer and loaded weight? Or just the boat ? Where are you located and what is the terrain like where you are towing?

I'm in central PA and will be towing down to Tennessee and Atlanta and likely a few trips into the Northeast; Vermont and surrounding areas.

Sounds like the 06 with the increased power would be a good choice, however the budget probably won't allow that. Also, as someone mentioned above, should probably left the wife weigh in on this decision! She would prefer the smaller size of the 100, but was disappointed when I told her the back window doesn't go down. She loves that feature on the 4runner, allows her to sneak groceries into the back without opening the liftgate and also the dog loves the view back there! Do any of the 100s have a power or remote op lift gate?

Combined weight full of fluids and toys. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona (burb of Phoenix) with many 6 & 7% grades any time you leave town.

mph

Expedition Leader
That much weight...no thank you towing with the lc. I have a 99 lc and got rid of our trailer for the fact that it was too much weight to pull...

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Install a good brake controller and some air helper springs from AirRide. You will be just fine. I started out towing my built mini-truck and have moved on to a built FJ40. The 40 is around 6000 - 6500 lbs with the trailer. I also have all of my camping gear and such inside the 100:

20130126_164514_zps53033a00.jpg

ResizedImage951362457062616_zpscac45d1e.jpg

20120927_104642.jpg

If you want some more proof: http://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=11849782

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
We've been using a '99 UZJ100 as service and tow rig for our rally team the 5 years. 5/6 times a year we haul Subaru rally car, spares, and support gear to events all over the northeast. It tows wonderfully, no problems, no regrets.

That said, we did add a few extras: lightweight trailer (Anderson open deck ~1,900#), electronic brake controller, OME HD 3" rear springs, and a weight distributing hitch; all of which help with big loads on long hauls (>200miles).

We also own a few Land Rovers, which....well, are not Land Cruisers....so they get trailer time too....

IMG_0435.jpg

fireball

Explorer
Redrum, what is your suspension setup in the LC?

How much does that LR weigh?

An AL trailer is about 1000#. A lighter weight steel trailer is #1900 or so. A thousand pounds is a lot, but it's also a ton more expensive!

CReeper - I read through some of those threads on mud. It's a mixed bag. Sounds like the conclusion might be that a LC is not an ideal tow vehicle, but can be made to work with certain weights and certain limitations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior