Last resort fire starter?

ZMagic97

Explorer
Road flares work great. I keep dryer lint and matches in the truck with a back up lighter as well.

I once started a fire with a shotgun shell, pocket knife, sheet of paper, and piece of wire.

Cut the shotgun shell open, poured the powder onto the paper, and used the wire to make a spark from the truck battery. It was very last resort.

ottsville

Observer
I would think you can probably find smaller flares somewhere. Just cleaned out an old Vietnam pilot's house and found flares that were about 2.5" long and 3/8" round.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I have always made it a point to look for and collect solidified balls of pure pine pitch when I’m out in the woods.
These have always worked great as a fire starter for me even in the rain.

dms1

Explorer
I carry a duraflame log and cut off 1 inch pieces with my knife (they are soft) and then break those into 4 pieces, 1 or 2 pieces will get any fire started.

86scotty

Cynic
Have some Yupik friends who always carry Fritos in their survival kit on their snow machines for both fire starting and snacks.

I would burn a lot of calories looking around for dry tinder before I would waste those tasty 'calories in a bag' on starting a fire.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I make fire starters from paper egg cartons, paraffin and either sawdust or paper from the shredder. Works fine and will even start damp wood. Like a big candle. After match lighting it burns for about 15 min.
Road flares cost too much.
Besides, flares STINK.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
We’ve also successfully used various forms of these trioxane tabs for many years. They should be cheaper to buy in milsurp stores.
5BA12244-DE09-46D3-BDF1-133CB5E97FD1.jpeg

pith helmet

Used a small bottle of hand sanitizer and alcohol prep pads still in the paper/foil packs as a last resort on a cold and wet N Ga backpacking trip last February.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior